I'm looking for pieces to play that are suitable for a relatively solo approach to playing, but without an excessive amount of difficulty. For example, The Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Love is an excellent example of what I'm after; it's challenging and works well as an instrumental. However, Black Sabbath - Paranoid has too much repetitive power-chording for my liking.

What are good beginner-intermediate solo pieces in the vein of instrumentals by Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson, Neil Zaza, etc.? The Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Love represents my current level on a good day, so anything not exceeding that difficult would be preferred. Thanks!
the unforgiven - metallica

the interlude and the solo is easy
i think...
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Once again.. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana ... probably way too easy though You Shook Me All Night Long - ACDC If thats the sort of things your looking for, easy solos..
"See, you're born punk. When you get your first haircut, then you're alternative. Then you let it grow long, then you're metal." - Kirk Hammett
Learn some Oasis solo's. They're fun to play, sound good on their own and are examples of well written solo's.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
surfing with the alien is pretty easy up to the solo section..
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Some AC/DC solos.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
satriani's always with me, always with you, summer song, surfing with the alien, starry night, searching (if you have a seven-string), until we say goodbye. a few more, but those are the easiest.

and download some backing tracks, and practice soloing. you'll be writing music before you know it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
satch boogie.

and, If you're up to a challenge, for the love of god by Vai.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
The Satriani peieces mentioned here are pretty bad. I mean, Summer Song? Surfing?

Take a look at (Satriani)

A Train of Angels
A Love Eternal
Starry Night
Always
Home
Up in the Sky
The Forgotten pt2
Moroccan Sunset
Crystal Planet
Love Thing
Friends
The Extremist
Cryin'
Slow and Easy
Ten Words
Speed of Light
Thinking of You
All Alone
The Crush of Love
Circles
The Traveler
You're My World
Chords of Life

and Eric Johnson's Cliffs of Dover.
summer song and surfing are good songs, easy enough, if you don't play the solos.

satch boogie is just a bad suggestion, i still can't play it up to speed.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Crazy Train - Ozzy
Mr. Crowley - Ozzy
The Unforgiven - Metallica
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - Van Halen
Eruption - Van Halen
Domination - Pantera
Cowboys From Hell - Pantera
Cemetery Gates - Pantera

All simple songs, and most, if not all, you will only need one guitar. You'll also learn some kick ass solos in the process.
Quote by Kurapica
Learn some Oasis solo's. They're fun to play, sound good on their own and are examples of well written solo's.

Join my club, nao!!11!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by guitarkid7
Once again.. Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana ... probably way too easy though You Shook Me All Night Long - ACDC If thats the sort of things your looking for, easy solos..

Just to clarify my original post, I'm interested in pieces that are essentially guitar solos in themselves, not ones that consist of 60% power chords, 30% single notes and 10% solo that everyone already knows how to play. I apologise for not expressing myself clearly enough.

Thanks for the great help, everyone! The Satriani recommendations were especially useful, but only his easiest songs would be playable at the moment. I'm in the process of learning (or attempting to learn) Always With Me, Always With You, but it's not particularly easy for me, so I've put it on hold for a while. If possible, another piece of that level or lower would be excellent.

Other songs I can (somewhat) play are:
The Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Love
Tenacious D - Wonderboy
Metallica - Fade To Black (excluding the final solo)

I can't play these yet, but they're a good indication of my limits at the moment:
Joe Satriani - Always With Me, Always With You
Eric Johnson - SRV
Children Of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?

Thanks once again.
friends by satriani is an extremely easy song. if you don't mind retuning.

starry night is even easier, except for the solo.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by The Casualty
Bad Horsie!

Sure it's in Drop C (and I'm still learning it), but it's incredibly fun to play.

it is fun, but the solos would kill him.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
You could try something like
YYZ - Rush
Peruvian Skies - Dream Theater (though not so much a solo piece, it IS fun to play)
Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas
Tears of Sahara - Tony MacAlpine
Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Black Napkins - Frank Zappa
You've got to Belong to it - Pantera

Dunno if I hit your skill level right, but these are fun to play!
Well, of course if you don't incldue the solos it's easier. Hell, 95% of Satriani songs are easy as all hell if you don't include the solos!

To refine my list for difficulty close to then AWMAWY,: A Love Eternal, Starry Night, Home, Love Thing, Friends, Cryin', Slow and Easy, Ten Words, Speed of Light, Chords of Life...(well I don't know until you try them, some of tehm mgiht be too hard)
Quote by InTheFlesh!
You could try something like
YYZ - Rush
Peruvian Skies - Dream Theater (though not so much a solo piece, it IS fun to play)
Carry On My Wayward Son - Kansas
Tears of Sahara - Tony MacAlpine
Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Black Napkins - Frank Zappa
You've got to Belong to it - Pantera

Dunno if I hit your skill level right, but these are fun to play!

YYZ is easiest if you leave out the beginning, middle, and then skip the end.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
again, not an easy song.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Quote by zephyrclaw
Just to clarify my original post, I'm interested in pieces that are essentially guitar solos in themselves, not ones that consist of 60% power chords, 30% single notes and 10% solo that everyone already knows how to play. I apologise for not expressing myself clearly enough.

Thanks for the great help, everyone! The Satriani recommendations were especially useful, but only his easiest songs would be playable at the moment. I'm in the process of learning (or attempting to learn) Always With Me, Always With You, but it's not particularly easy for me, so I've put it on hold for a while. If possible, another piece of that level or lower would be excellent.

Other songs I can (somewhat) play are:
The Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Love
Tenacious D - Wonderboy
Metallica - Fade To Black (excluding the final solo)

I can't play these yet, but they're a good indication of my limits at the moment:
Joe Satriani - Always With Me, Always With You
Eric Johnson - SRV
Children Of Bodom - Are You Dead Yet?

Thanks once again.

They should be simple as long as you have a metronome just start slow then turn up the speed but i know alexi laiho from children of bodom has a 24 fret guitar so it be kinda hard to work that out

ps. children of bodom kicks ass
If you know what I mean
Is I Believe in a Thing Called Love's solo supposed to be harder than the Stairway solo?
My Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom - Alpine White
Vox AD30VT
Epiphone SG Special - Black
Planet Waves Cables
Levy's Strap
Dunlop .70 Picks
Well, aside from that very fast passages, Cryin' by Satch is amazingly fun. If played right you WILL get laid. But a piece of advice, you will grow more as a musician going OUT of your comfort zone of playing, rather than just sitting there without much of a challenge. With that said, try For the Love of God by Vai. And if you give me your email in a PM or something, I could send you some drills I got from Micheal Angelo Batio's site. They're in Guitar Pro.. but I could possibly even send you that file if you need it.