I just got a dimarzio breed(neck) and norton(bridge) pickup. The beed is amazing, but the norton.... not so much. There is quite a bit of buzzing emitting from it, and it is very weak. On the clean channel, it only has half the volume of the breed. Is the pickup faulty? I have rewired it several times trying to find a problem, but I can't get it to shape up.

Also, if it is a problem with the pickup, I sorta skipped over the warrenty cards, and I jsut now found them. Am I screwed?

Any help is appreciated.
Quote by White Pony
Yes you are.

Really? That blows.

Edit: so there is absolutely nothing I can do?
Last edited by gunther_sucks at Feb 18, 2007,
Take it to a tech.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Is it 4 conductor? Are you sure it's using both coils? When the pickup is on, tap the pole pieces with something metal (a magnetic metal too, like steel). Use a screwdriver or something to tap the poles with the pickup on and the amp on. You'll be able to hear which are working and which aren't.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Quote by gunther_sucks
It appears to only be using one coil. It is a 4 conducter. What would cause only one coil to work?

Accidentally grounding one of the coil wires would cause it to shut off, thusly using 1 coil.

Re-Check your wiring and it should be good.
Being wired wrong - on Dimarzio's there's 4 wires...the red and black on one coil, white and green on the other (and a 5th bare ground wire). The green wire is a ground, the red is the output. The white wire is the output from the first coil, the black one is the input of the second coil so those two should be soldered together and taped off...that's the connection between the two coils. Make sure it's soldered and properly and completely taped off, if there's any bare showing that could be shorting against something.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Being wired wrong - on Dimarzio's there's 4 wires...the red and black on one coil, white and green on the other (and a 5th bare ground wire). The green wire is a ground, the red is the output. The white wire is the output from the first coil, the black one is the input of the second coil so those two should be soldered together and taped off...that's the connection between the two coils. Make sure it's soldered and properly and completely taped off, if there's any bare showing that could be shorting against something.

Or if you have a coil tap or anything going make sure that the switch you're using is functioning properly.. I just thought of that.
It would be kind of embarassing if the answer was "push the tone pot"
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It would be kind of embarassing if the answer was "push the tone pot"

Well it could happen... sometimes the answer is right in front of your nose (or at your fingertips)
Alright, I just checked the wiring. I disconnected the white and black wires and there was no change in sound, even with them removed. The white wire is providing a current. I can't find the problem. I have the green and bare wire soldered to the volume pot. the hot wire is on the 3 way switch. My neck pup is wired the same but both coils are working.

edit: the tone pot looks like any other tone pot, so I'm pretty sure it's not coil splitting.
Well if its a genuinely brokeass pickup you can do different things depending on where you bought it from. and how you bought it (new, used, cash or credit, etc)

A store- they'll probably take it back because its just a pickup and its broken.

Off internet stores- probably not. You'd have better luck filling out the warranty card and then sending the pickup back for a replacement.

Off ebay- You're kinda screwed unless it was new or the seller specified it worked.

EDIT:

According to this dimarzio instruction sheet..

BLACK + RED = 1 coil

WHITE + GREEN = 1 coil.

So in order to have both coils in standard humbucking, you need to have the black and white wires connected. The RED wire is the hot wire (to switch) and the GREEN and BARE wire are ground (to the back of the pot)
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Feb 18, 2007,
solder the black and white wires together, green to ground, red to pickup selector, bare to ground, if it still happens then try swapping the red and green wires. Although thats doubtful since phasing only happens when mixing two pickups.... get a volt meter and test both pickups for current.
This is strange though, how would the circuit be complete if I disconnected the black and white wires? The pup should no longer sound, but it does. I will try some different combos to see what's up.
Quote by gunther_sucks
This is strange though, how would the circuit be complete if I disconnected the black and white wires? The pup should no longer sound, but it does. I will try some different combos to see what's up.

The black and white aren't hot wires. The black and white wires are for each coil. So if you ground one of those wires, you split the pickup. If they're both together, then the pickup is humbucking.

Red = Hot (to switch)

Green = Ground (to back of pot)

White + Black together

Braided = Ground (to back of pot)

That's how you should wire the pickup for a humbucker.

The white and black don't get soldered to anything but eachother, then you either shrink wrap them or use tape.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Feb 19, 2007,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
The black and white aren't hot wires. The black and white wires are for each coil. So if you ground one of those wires, you split the pickup. If they're both together, then the pickup is humbucking.

Red = Hot (to switch)

Green = Ground (to back of pot)

White + Black together

Braided = Ground (to back of pot)

That's how you should wire the pickup for a humbucker.

The white and black don't get soldered to anything but eachother, then you either shrink wrap them or use tape.

Ah, I understand. It looks like this pup is faulty then, I will contact the person I bought it from. Thanks for the help.