Hey guys, I'm just starting to learn some scales and have the Minor Pentatonic down pretty well and was thinking about moving on to a new scale but I have no idea which one would be the best for my particular music style? I know I should learn all of them but I want to learn the most important or useful first. My music styles are as follows: Rock, Blues, Funk, Country, Southern Rock. That's mostly it. Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Major Pentatonic, then work on the Major Scale, and make sure you know them in all positions for all keys.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Do you know the Minor pentatonic in every position in every key?
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Major Pentatonic, then work on the Major Scale, and make sure you know them in all positions for all keys.

Well, the major pentatonic is the same as the second position of the minor pentatonic.

Learn all the minor pentatonic positions if you haven't done so already. I've seen heaps of people proclaim "I know the minor pentatonic!" but they only know the first position and the same thing an octave higher. Otherwise, yeah, learn the major scale and all the modes. I would say learn the Blues scale, but its basically the minor pentatonic with an added note (b5).
The more you know, the less you understand.
last.fm
Yes I have learned the minor Pentatonic in all positions and all keys, I really do have it down really well (though I will continue to practice it). I was thinking about the Blues and Major and also the Natural Minor but wasn't too sure about the last one...any comments on it?
Well as said before, the blues scale is just one note added onto the scale so practice that for sure. I think you should learn the major scale and the modes. Then you have a very wide scale vocabulary and that opens a lot of doors for you.

Basic knowledge of intervals and the fretboard will be needed though.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
well alright i'll get started on those scales now then but does anybody have any comments on the Natural Minor scale?
id go into the major, then you could go into relative minors, and learn the natural minor scales rather quickly but id go into modes as well they are very important for improve
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
alright thanks a lot for all the help guys, and Silky Smooth..the good word is: guitar
you should probably learn all the modes of the major scale. also, learn some of the major scale exercises. IMO they really help you learn the scale and you will also become more accurate and faster if you start off slow.
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.