Question on dual core processors I can't get a straight answer on...

Ok, I have an AMD dual core t-50 processor up in here.

Steam clocks it at 1600mhz. It's also specced at that. Now does that mean I'm using dual 800mhz processors or dual 1600mhz processors?

If it's the former I'm assuming I can't play a game with a minimum spec of 2.0ghz.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
From what I can tell after googling a bit, it seems to be a total of 1600 MHz (2x 800mhz).
Is this a laptop or desktop? And how old is it?
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
Laptop brand new.

Just found something else out, for games to take full advantage of both processors they need to be coded as such, and only a handful of games at this moment have, one being Quake 4 which I might check out.

I think they're both 1.6ghz, but cannot be manipulated by software to run at the same time for one program. RIght now they;re just good for multitasking, until later this year when more programs come out supporting both cores which will be cool.

Apparently Quake 4 supports dual cores though, so it sohuld run at 3.2ghz.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
I found this on wiki, not sure how much help it is as it doesnt directly answer your question:

For example, most current (2006) video games will run faster on a 3 GHz single-core processor than on a 2GHz dual-core processor (of the same core architecture), despite the dual-core theoretically having more processing power, because they are incapable of efficiently using more than one core at a time

But it sort of says even if it was 2 x 1.6Ghz processors, it can't effectively use 3.2Ghz of power. Then again, the source is wikipedia

EDIT: That basically backs up what you just said
Well I dunno, on my compyter I have a dual core Intel 3.0 ghz processor. I was confused about this as well, though when I go to device manager it lists it as two seperate 3.00 ghz processors.
Alta Vera - My real life alternative rock band.
Ashen Spire - My personal metal band.

Super Mario, F-Zero & Dragonball Z covers!

PSN: whatev27

Let me ask you, does a machine like yourself ever experience fear?

This makes a lot of sense then. I have an AMD dual core aswell, and it lists it at 2.0ghz x 2. I noticed that when I installed Company of Heroes it said it had to configure for the dual core. By the sounds of it then only some things are set up for dual core.
Shadilay.
yes im a computer geek and it is two 1.6 ghz processors, two logical cpus and one physical. in theory there are two processors but really just one. dual core are better at multitasking, but since you have amd 1.6 ghz is pretty good and even better since its dual core
Awesome, just what I'd hoped ^

Quote by morbid_death
This makes a lot of sense then. I have an AMD dual core aswell, and it lists it at 2.0ghz x 2. I noticed that when I installed Company of Heroes it said it had to configure for the dual core. By the sounds of it then only some things are set up for dual core.

Yeah Company of Heroes is one of the few that has been coded for dual cores, along with Quake 4 and AOE3 and a couple more, as well as many more in future. Oh and BF2.

Awesomes.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
Awesome, just what I'd hoped ^

Yeah Company of Heroes is one of the few that has been coded for dual cores, along with Quake 4 and AOE3 and a couple more, as well as many more in future. Oh and BF2.

Awesomes.

CoH is good fun.
Rankles, could you clear out your PMs?

It's not about that thread, I just have a question to ask.