when i first got my standard fender strat, everything was fine and dandy. the whammy bar went on and off as wanted. but now, whenever i put the whammy bar on, the bridge doesnt go up as far as it usually did and doesn't work to the capacity that it did prior.

also when i take it off, the bridge stays up around midway and wont go down. is there a solution to this? the guitar is in tune so it's not that the strings are too tight.
actually, the strings can still be to tight in tune.

try tightening the springs on the back.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by redstapler1228
the whammy bar went on and off as wanted.

The whammy bar is a lifeless piece of metal.
What do you mean exactly by "the bar went on and off" ?

whenever i put the whammy bar on, the bridge doesnt go up as far as it usually did

What is "putting the whammy bar on" ?

also when i take it off, the bridge stays up around midway and wont go down.

Take the whammy bar off the guitar ?
My strats bridge does that when my strings are getting old usually. Try changing strings, and if it doesnt help, throw some extra springs in the back to bring your bridge back down.
Quote by tubab0y
actually, the strings can still be to tight in tune.

try tightening the springs on the back.

How do you adjust a strat bridge? My brother plays mainly drop tuned stuff, and his string gauge (Ernie Ball 12,16,24,32,44,56) is heavy enough that it pulls the bridge too high if I try to play in E tuning, and sits a little too high even in drop C.

Is tightening the trem as easy as just finding a screw and turning it?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
How do you adjust a strat bridge? My brother plays mainly drop tuned stuff, and his string gauge (Ernie Ball 12,16,24,32,44,56) is heavy enough that it pulls the bridge too high if I try to play in E tuning, and sits a little too high even in drop C.

Is tightening the trem as easy as just finding a screw and turning it?

Dude,

Sharing a guitar with your brother is like sharing a girlfriend.
Adjusting the bridge to your liking is like asking that girlfriend to get a tatoo done with your name on her belly. There ain't nothing worse to distract your brother's playing with her.

Not a healthy situation if you ask me.
^
Doesn't mean you can't service her, I mean it for him. I mainly just play my accoustic, but I'm better at taking stuff apart (cars, guitars, computers bicycles), so if something needs fixing, it comes to me. I fulfill the role of older brother with toolkit, which reminds me I said I'd take a look at the brakes on his bike.

I'm not looking to adjust the bridge for my playing preferences, I just noticed it's sitting way high under the heavier strings.

Nothing wrong with passing girls around the family either is there?
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
to redstapler-
sounds to me like your vibrato's balance is out, open up the back plate and you should find some large springs. to return the tremolo to a normal angle, turn the screws clockwise and this should bring the tremolo down to the body. Remember to slacken the strings first otherwise they will break.