Amp for playing music like Disturbed, Stone Sour, Slipknot, Three Days Grace, Bullet For My Valentine, Metallica, Iron Maiden and stuff like that.

There are so many amps out there I tihnk my head is going to explode...

I just want your opinions.. as you can tell I'm kinda looking for an amp with lots of range when it comes to play different types of music..

I've had my eye on the Vox Valvetronix AD50VT for a bit now, but people say they aren't good for playing metal on. And is there a difference between the AD50VT and the AD30VT??? Besides the wattage.

Thank You Very Much..

(And sorry for another damn what amp thread..)
go for the Crate 120 like i have.........its 120 watts (plenty of power) 2x12 cab (plenty loudocity) plenty of effects (yaay effects!!!...and most of which are pretty good) sweet price (lik 400$ ish i think) and its got DISORTION TO SPARE!!!!
UG's HIPPIE
I'd take a look at Mesa Boogie Rectofiers. I've only heard good things about them.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

This is an at home practice amp I guess you could call it... I should probably add that..
Try the smaller Peavey, Crate, or Randall combos for a smaller sized amp. I should also add the Roland Cube modeling amps might give you the sound. I don't know if the Vox AD modeling amps have that high gain rectifier settings. For that kind of music, you're going to want high gain. You're really going to have to play them to get to know the sound you want. It also depends on what guitar you are using with them too.
Last edited by bfloyd6969 at Feb 18, 2007,
Well there is a huge difference in Iron Maiden and Slipknot...
Dont bother looking at Crate.
Mesa may be a good option....if your going to play diverse of styles your going to need at least 2 chanels. Mesa have vintage chanels for your Maiden and stuff, and the modern chanel for your Heavier stuff. Mesa cleans are just middle of the road IMO. If you want a good idea of what a tripple recto sounds like check out the Cradle of Filth album "Damnation and a Day". It might not be your style of music but it will give you a good idea of how the modern chanel sounds.

A price range would let us help you a bit more....
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Your sorta limited since its only a practise amp.. I would recommend either a Cube 60 or some randall.

Also whats your budget?
+1 with False_God.

What's your budget?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
if you're just using it for at home practicing, i'd suggest the line 6 spider ii combo. they're fairly ok tonewise (they suffice just fine for just jamming at home), they're really versatile, they have onboard effects, you can program 36 channels with the floorboard, and guys like mick thompson uses them to warm up before shows.

unrelatedly, congratulations, jinskee, on your orange purchase. good on ya!
^

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by BloodBlooms
if you're just using it for at home practicing, i'd suggest the line 6 spider ii combo. they're fairly ok tonewise (they suffice just fine for just jamming at home), they're really versatile, they have onboard effects, you can program 36 channels with the floorboard, and guys like mick thompson uses them to warm up before shows.

unrelatedly, congratulations, jinskee, on your orange purchase. good on ya!

heh, that makes them a lot better because mic thompson uses it to warm it before shows.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
Quote by Stooja
heh, that makes them a lot better because mic thompson uses it to warm it before shows.

well...he mentioned wanting a slipknot tone. i'm not suggesting the spider because it's something that i'd play or even something that i like. i'm suggesting it because it's something that the threadstarter might enjoy.
Sorry I forgot to mention price range..

anywhere from $300 to $500 I guess, I kind of want it below $400, but I can save up longer and wait till I have more money.

And I put the practice amp comment because I don't want to be recommended $1500 amps and 100 Watt amps.
^

I can't get enough of that.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
just get an Ashdown Fallen angel 40.

That should provide you with enough Dist. and if not just get an Od pedal. Thats honestly the best you are gonna get man!
OK people....Mick Thompson does not use anything close to Marshall, or Line 6. The misconception that he used line 6 comes from the idea that he DID(maybe still does) use Line 6 to make those terrible sounding creepy noises. Bc thats what line 6 excells at...sounding like crap. Its not his main amp.

To suggest a Marshall was simply retarded...dont get me wrong, DSL is all good and fine....but not for his price range, or his musical taste.

Mick uses Rivera. Check them out on their site and you will see that.

Spider, Ashdown, Randall, and whatever else people said, are not going to be any sort of upgrade for you. Seriously....people need to realize, that if you want to sound good your going to have to look real hard for a good deal, or pay out your ass. My suggestion is save up and wait. But if you simply cant...go out and play a million amps then choose. But why would you wanna spend 300-500 now on something that is ok, when your close to a better price range?
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Quote by Crimson_Eve
OK people....Mick Thompson does not use anything close to Marshall, or Line 6. The misconception that he used line 6 comes from the idea that he DID(maybe still does) use Line 6 to make those terrible sounding creepy noises. Bc thats what line 6 excells at...sounding like crap. Its not his main amp.

To suggest a Marshall was simply retarded...dont get me wrong, DSL is all good and fine....but not for his price range, or his musical taste.

Spider, Ashdown, Randall, and whatever else people said, are not going to be any sort of upgrade for you. Seriously....people need to realize, that if you want to sound good your going to have to look real hard for a good deal, or pay out your ass. My suggestion is save up and wait. But if you simply cant...go out and play a million amps then choose. But why would you wanna spend 300-500 now on something that is ok, when your close to a better price range?

What amp would you suggest?
So metal and nu metal.....Roland cube...30 i guess for home use and 60 if you want to go gigging
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by Crimson_Eve

Rivera is even more out of he's price range!

Ok, what amp do you suggest in that price range? And why not the Ashdown? If not enough gain he could always use a Od and imo best for the money.

Of course you can get the Peavy XXX combo for maybe $550 on ebay if your lucky! so I would advise look around for one!
Quote by Maggot66
What amp would you suggest?

Well if your going to save up, I'd go for the mesa, a 6505 or a used 5150/6505. With your diverse style you need multiple channels. If your not going to save up buy whatever you want....because your just going to sell it in a couple years(or less) when you realize it isnt what you want anyway.

The bottom line is no matter what we say, your best bet is to go try out a bunch of amps. Go to a guitar center, go to any shops you can and then just look around. Try out a million different amps....that way you develop your sense of tone and get an idea for what you really are looking for.

To False_god: I wasnt telling him to buy a Rivera. I know how to read so I know its out of his price range. I was simply pointing out that you wont get slipknot tone from a spider....

And no on the Ashdown because they are crap. Built in effects are an excuse to jack up prices on a bad product. Ashdown just doesnt deliver in the end.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
How much would those cost? And can you give me a link to the part of the website with that amp if you don't mind?
http://www.rivera.com/ Click on the KR-7. Thats Micks head. But they do have a bunch of combos on there. Also remember that the guy showing how it sounds is playing in standard and has different pickups that you do. Your might be higher gain than his. I'm not sure about prices though. Also Check out Madison. Its basically a rectifier clone....but they dont sound bad at all. Unfortunately the only Madison combo is just over $1000. The heads are slightly more. But your really not going to get a good metal tone unless you are prepared to drop some cash. Its a sucky reality we all come to realize one day.

But remember...when it comes to Peavey and Mesa or any well known amp name.....ebay is a musicians friend. Just go play one before you buy obviously.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Quote by Crimson_Eve
http://www.rivera.com/ Click on the KR-7. Thats Micks head. But they do have a bunch of combos on there. Also remember that the guy showing how it sounds is playing in standard and has different pickups that you do. Your might be higher gain than his. I'm not sure about prices though. Also Check out Madison. Its basically a rectifier clone....but they dont sound bad at all. Unfortunately the only Madison combo is just over $1000. The heads are slightly more. But your really not going to get a good metal tone unless you are prepared to drop some cash. Its a sucky reality we all come to realize one day.

But remember...when it comes to Peavey and Mesa or any well known amp name.....ebay is a musicians friend. Just go play one before you buy obviously.

I don't don't plan on buying a rivera.. they're some damn expensive and out of my price range, but thanks.

Can anyone send me a link to that Mesa amp, please.
For christ sake I hate how everything is so expensive... I can't wait till I get my job and have a steady flow of cash... then this won't be such a pissing problem.
Quote by nick83
crates are bad
get a marshall or a mesa

your post sucks

first you say crates are bad, ok but why? have you played more than one crate? if you only played one was it the cheep model, cuz most people here will tell you Marshal MG's suck ass, but thats cuz they are cheep, have you played a high end Crate blue voodo?
BASICALLY GIVE A REASON DON'T JUST SAY STUFF

Did you pay attention to what he wants to use it for, can you even name a particular model? Because like I said above, marshal makes crap too

I'm not trying to knock you but seriously, don't randomly say stuff without backing it properly or at least making more specific suggestions

EDIT: it would be different if you had said "I played 'x' crate and didn't like it because 'x' was bad" but to just say crate are bad... such a generalization
Last edited by FrenchBread at Feb 18, 2007,
I owned a half stack Crate blue voodoo...(the blue one) and hated it. I traded it for a Peavey Transtube 212 EFX combo.... and couldn't have been happier.

After a few years I sold my 212 EFX combo to buy the XXX 212 combo... I love my XXX, yet still miss EFX transtube. Only complaint about the EFX were the crappy a$$ BlueMarvel speakers... perhaps a set of V30's could have really helped that amp shine.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Is there any good crates that are in my price range and meet my needs? (Or close to it?)

(Price range is $300-$500)

::EDIT::

This week sometime I'm going into town to Musicstop or somewhere else to look at amps and play around with them, it's just the play I'm going to doesn't have many amps out to mess around with. I'm gonna have to ask if they have any out back..
Quote by Maggot66
Is there any good crates that are in my price range and meet my needs? (Or close to it?)

(Price range is $300-$500)

Try this one http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-FXT120-Guitar-Combo-Amp-with-DSP?sku=487787 if you dont like it, you have 30 days to return it. It's a metal amp.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
What's your peoples thoughts on Roland Cubes??

What's the difference between the 30 and 30X??

And what would be better? A Roland Cube (30/30X/60) or a Vox Valvetronix (AD50VT/AD30VT)
I'm gonna try out a Roland Cube sometime this week,

What model should I try to find??

And what is the difference between ones like, the 30 and 30X??
not sure, depends...

the 60 is probably enough for gigging, the 30/30x for home practice. the only difference between them i think, is wattage, and the 60 has few more features.

the 30 has more features than the 30x, i do believe...that's what it seemed like from the looks of the descriptions on the Roland site.
Damn, I thought it was the other way around, 30X had more features then 30,
I thought the 30x had more features...Yeah it does, I just checked.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R