so, i just put new strings on my new guitar for the first time, and becz of the tremolo bar set-up the pressure from trying to tune one string takes all the other strings out of tune. this occurs until the tremolo set-up is pulled out of the guitar as far as it will go, and then and only then will it get in tune. i have stretched and stretched the strings to no avail, and i am wanting some help. so please, please, please someone tell me how to fix this problem, becz i am starting to have relapse symptoms from not being able to play
ok, i have messed with that, but not very much. should i adjust one side higher, or lower, or what?
basically when you tune it, it will kind of naturally go into standard tuning but in a different key, and you won't be able to adjust this without adjusting the springs. If you know what i mean (which i'm guessing you don't). Once you've got the guitar in tune with itself, then you adjust the springs (tighter to make it higher, looser for lower) equal amounts to get it in the right key. This works on mine, and it should work on yours too.
Unless you're already trying it, I suggest that you tune the Low E, then High E, then A, etc.

I used to have a similar problem with my Fender Stratocaster, but if you tune it that way, it should work.

I can't guarentee it will, since I've never really played an Ibanez before, but since both of our guitars have Tremolo Systems is should work.
Don't adjust anything, that is supposed to happen...just tune the E A and D strings first then keep going back over them till you've got everything in tune...it's a pain i know but worth it and you'l get used to it fast enough anyway
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by korinaflyingv
basically when you tune it, it will kind of naturally go into standard tuning but in a different key, and you won't be able to adjust this without adjusting the springs. If you know what i mean (which i'm guessing you don't). Once you've got the guitar in tune with itself, then you adjust the springs (tighter to make it higher, looser for lower) equal amounts to get it in the right key. This works on mine, and it should work on yours too.

Maybe it's different with Ibanez but i definatly wouldn't reccomend this, you'll end up damaging your guitar and changing the action of your strings
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by korinaflyingv
you know, it is actually possible to adjust the action back. and i've never damaged my guitar doing it, and i've been doing it for a year and a half.

Ya, i understand what you mean, im not trying to argue with you, i'm just saying that if he has never done it that way before he could very easily do damage to the guitar
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
I don't mean to be rude, but I've never seen so much bad advice to such a simple problem (Bossman & Heartbreaker excluded)!

The bridge is floating, so yes, adjusting one string will affect all the others. To counteract this you have to keep re-tuning as you go, so tune the low E, then tune the A, retune the E, re-tune the A, once both are in tune tune the D, retune the E and A, re-tune the D etc and go on like that until everything is in tune. When the guitar's in tune the notch on the side of the bridge should be parallel with the body of the guitar. If the bridge is diving you need to tighten the tremolo springs slightly, if it's lifting you need to loosen them slightly - obviously you'll need to re-tune again after any adjustments.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
I don't mean to be rude, but I've never seen so much bad advice to such a simple problem (Bossman & Heartbreaker excluded)!

The bridge is floating, so yes, adjusting one string will affect all the others. To counteract this you have to keep re-tuning as you go, so tune the low E, then tune the A, retune the E, re-tune the A, once both are in tune tune the D, retune the E and A, re-tune the D etc and go on like that until everything is in tune. When the guitar's in tune the notch on the side of the bridge should be parallel with the body of the guitar. If the bridge is diving you need to tighten the tremolo springs slightly, if it's lifting you need to loosen them slightly - obviously you'll need to re-tune again after any adjustments.

Thats basically what i was saying, it's exactly the same on a strat you just have to keep retuning till you get everything right
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Just get your zen on, stay chill and just go through the drill, knowing you're going to have to repeat it a couple times.

Install strings - put fine tuners just above half way. Tune up roughly, just KNOWING it won't stick - don't get precise here, when the tuner needle gets close move to the next string. Retune still only close. Stretch. Retune. Stretch again. Retune. You should be getting close now. Retune. You should be done. Play for a little and tune. Lock 'em down.

Ron
If it's a floating (floyd rose etc) tremelo, you have to keep adjusting the springs with the tension of the strings until the trem is level with the guitar. Then get the strings in tune, but it doesn't have to be perfect, just the right notes. Then tighten up the locking nut and use the fine tuners to get it perfect.

And there you go, perfectly set up floyd
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
This is the hard part about floyds.

If you don't stick with one string size or tuning you can have a pretty rough time getting everything in check.

Basically it equates to alot of tuning, adjusting, and retuning.
yup i find mine impossible to tune as well lol, i take it to a local shop to get it re-strung and re-tuned
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia