Page 1 of 3
I've heard so much about him shredding, but i haven't seen anything.
Can somebody send me a video of him doing it?
Billie Joe Armstrong shredding? Haha good one, i'm a Green Day fan and i say this. A very long time ago he used to play fairly challenging, melodic solos at best, but shredding(?) That made me laugh
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
For fucks sake. No one plays guitar for 15 odd years, without knowing how to solo, unless you're really thick.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

if by shredding you mean average pentatonic soloing...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
these arent bad solos, but they're not shredding.... at all
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Quote by latinosuperstud

Kirk Hammett?
And we will send you to whatever God you wish...
It's weird how people underate soloing in punk pop music.

Check out the solo in "Another Girl Another Planet" by the only ones,that solo blew my mind.
Billie Joe Armstrong plays guitar? i always thought he faked playing and had another guy behind a curtain play the songs for him. his sig guitar is a waste of wood.
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
he really can play, which makes what he does all the worse imo, he even hires another guy to play his mediocre solo's for him these days

and tbh, most of that just sounded like recycled chuck berry licks, hardly shredding but nevermind
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
It's not shredding and it's very bad for somebody that plays guitar the time he plays and does it for living. But if we take somebody that doesn't know how much times he plays guitar, he'll think that these are nice solos.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Please don't throw around the word "Shred", especially if you don't actually know what it means.

EDIT: Could he be any sloppier on those videos?
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Why do you guys care so much? What makes you think the guy cant play? I bet he would crush you in a duel. Those videos were over 10-15 years old seriously pull your heads out of your ass's. Why would he put some shred or sweep in a freaking pop punk song? i dont even like greenday btw.

And what do any of you like? I see alot of threads about how shreding sucks and its boring, yet you bash BJ because he "cant shred" hmmmm

And do any of you actually know him personally and can prove he cant play??? NO!

So what is greenday has simple songs, if they suck so much and your so much better, why the **** are you sitting at home talking shit about them on the internet and they are on world tours playing to hundreads of thousands of kids per show?

By all means if you think your better, put up a video or recording. If your better talk shit if not shut the **** up.
Quote by No_Fat_Chicks
So what is greenday has simple songs, if they suck so much and your so much better, why the **** are you sitting at home talking shit about them on the internet and they are on world tours playing to hundreads of thousands of kids per show?

That's a tired old argument that doesn't stand up well at all. Please stop using it.

Quote by Smokey Amp
That's a tired old argument that doesn't stand up well at all. Please stop using it.

But it's absolutely correct.

And also, he could be a lot sloppier.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Quote by JamieB
But it's absolutely correct.

And also, he could be a lot sloppier.

There's so many artists on YouTube with 15x more talent than Billie Joe, even Green Day as a whole. Yet, they're not signed, because they choose to create music which invokes emotion is are well composed, not watered down shit for the masses. You can't just walk into the music industry, especially in the contemporary pop-culture.

If you saw the last video of the selection, you should see that you can't get much sloppier than that.

Last edited by Smokey Amp at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by Smokey Amp

how does it not stand up? Because its the truth? i dont even like greenday, but i wont bash them for what they do. They are better then almost every person on this site. Maybe not in playing ability, but remember every song doesnt need to be the most comlex thing possible. I would love to see somebody bashing them write a song as good as them.
Quote by No_Fat_Chicks
I would love to see somebody bashing them write a song as good as them.

A few 5th chords, some controversial lyrics and a poor excuse for a solo is supposed to be a well composed song? I'm not saying Billie Joe should shred it up, as mentioned earlier, that's not their style. But, if he's going to solo, which he clearly wants to do, he should at least but some time and effort into it.

Quote by Smokey Amp
There's so many artists on YouTube with 15x more talent than Billie Joe, even Green Day as a whole. Yet, they're not signed, because they choose to create music which invokes emotion is are well composed, not watered down shit for the masses. You can't just walk into the music industry, especially in the contemporary pop-culture.

If you saw the last video of the selection, you should see that you can't get much sloppier than that.

If those artists have song writing talent even half as good as Green Day's, they'd be signed. No excuses, they'd be signed.

And yes, I can imagine much sloppier.

Oh and as to 5th chords, almost all bands incorporate those into songs.

For example AC/DC own anyone on this site.

Even crap bands like Metallica incorporate power chords into their music. Okay, they're not capable of playing them on all 3 strings, but one day, I'm sure they'll learn.

Oh and also, if he wanted to solo, he'd be Green Day's lead guitarist.

Last edited by JamieB at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by Smokey Amp
A few 5th chords, some controversial lyrics and a poor excuse for a solo is supposed to be a well composed song? I'm not saying Billie Joe should shred it up, as mentioned earlier, that's not their style. But, if he's going to solo, which he clearly wants to do, he should at least but some time and effort into it.

Put up or shut up.

Just because its not a 5 minute shred doesnt mean its not a good song. Like I said, look where you are and look where they are.

And like I mentioned earlier THE VIDEOS ARE 10-15 YEARS OLD, you relize the videos all have dates on them right?
Quote by laffyjam
^ You are definetly an ignorant idiot

EDIT: to JamieB

Elaborate.

"Billie Joe Armstrong plays guitar? i always thought he faked playing and had another guy behind a curtain play the songs for him. his sig guitar is a waste of wood."

+1

I agree, the guitar isnt even worth smashing into an amp, that, my friend, is only deserving of the floor.
My gear,

roland Jazz chourus
les paul model i built myself
Big muff
squire bullet soon to be hot rodded
Mxr Phase100
bass i built myself
Morley Wah

"I'm still trying to figure
out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."
now that i think of it, Billie Joe Armstrong isnt even worth smashing into an amp, he also needs the floor...

I believe that his equipment should be reprosessed and given to people who are good at pawning things, at the pawn shop.
My gear,

roland Jazz chourus
Big muff
Mxr Phase100
bass i built myself
Morley Wah

Quote by JamieB
Elaborate.

So popular automatically = talented? So the Monkees were a talented band? So Ashlee Simpson is a talented song writer? Just because something appeals to the masses doesn't mean it's a good thing. It's something called Pop. It's popular because it's easy for younger people to digest and isn't filled with lots of complicated chords/solos/anything else that might get the listener confused.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

Quote by JamieB
If those artists have song writing talent even half as good as Green Day's, they'd be signed. No excuses, they'd be signed.

And yes, I can imagine much sloppier.

I already gave you the reasons as to why. I thought you were smarter than that Jamie.

If you need some proof:

Not signed:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nfHJR9U3XQ (That's not his best song, but I can't find his others. Still, in my opinion, much more talented song writing.)

Not signed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHrb1tHD3mw (He has plenty of other brilliant songs, too)

Not signed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95QlJy0OD8g

As I said, you can't just walk into the music industry, especially if you play music that's contrary to the mainstream.

Oh and as to 5th chords, almost all bands incorporate those into songs.

For example AC/DC own anyone on this site.

Even crap bands like Metallica incorporate power chords into their music. Okay, they're not capable of playing them on all 3 strings, but one day, I'm sure they'll learn.

I have no problem with 5th chords; 5th chords are used to structure even the legendary rock songs. However, 5th chords are only a foundation and compositions should be built over them, they shouldn't be used repetitively throughout an entire song. That's not song writing skill, that's just the case of picking four chords and singing over them - anyone can do that.

If the videos are anything to go by, he clearly does want to solo.

Quote by Stacked Actors
So popular automatically = talented? So the Monkees were a talented band? So Ashlee Simpson is a talented song writer? Just because something appeals to the masses doesn't mean it's a good thing. It's something called Pop. It's popular because it's easy for younger people to digest and isn't filled with lots of complicated chords/solos/anything else that might get the listener confused.

Another brilliant quote.

I've danced this dance many times before with people who use the "not famous = not good" argument. I'm getting sick of it. I've made my points, choose to accept them, think about them or flat out ignore them. I'm out. I especially don't want to debate this with Jamie, because I like him.

Last edited by Smokey Amp at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by Stacked Actors

Okay, explain to me what talent is.

The ability to mindlessly whack off loads of notes per second and have it sound like a fucking Atari?

EDIT: Will update with regards to your post in a minute Smokey.

Another edit: I was going to make the same point as No Fat Chicks, but I wasn't 100% sure if it was right or not; about Ashlee Simpson not writing her own songs.

Okay, Smokey;

Those 3 songs you posted;

1st one, I liked it. I wasn't all too impressed by his voice, but I liked it, and I'm sure he could get signed if he put in the effort, or he could self release and work his way up.

2nd one, a few good parts, a lot of it is just plain boring, to put it simply.

3rd one, same applies as the 2nd one.

As I said before, if he wanted to solo, he'd be playing lead guitar.

5th chords are just like any other, just because they only have 2 (or 3, if you will) notes, they're no different from any other chord.

And lastly, if someone is REALLY, THAT good, they'll be able to get signed, it might take them a bit to get there, but that's just the way life is.

Last edited by JamieB at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by Stacked Actors

Wow...elitist. Since when does solos and complicated chords make you confused? pull your head out of your ass.

They have been around since before you were born im assuming. So what if its simple. The Ramones were waaaay simple yet you shit stains seem to love them but hate everyone else.

And no, the people that wrote ashley simpsons cd are talented.

I still can get over how im assuming metal confuses people because its so complicated
Quote by latinosuperstud

Aren't a lot of Guns n Roses and Velvet Revolver (a la Slash) solo's just Pentatonic?
Quote by thesublime
duarte, you're a jerk.

Quote by Ollie Led Zep
Hmm...a fugly, bimbo, blonde, rich, boring, mooching, waste of blood and organs, d*ck munching, talentless, sponging c*nt in prison?

One down...
Quote by JamieB
Okay, explain to me what talent is.

The ability to mindlessly whack off loads of notes per second and have it sound like a fucking Atari?

EDIT: Will update with regards to your post in a minute Smokey.

Another edit: I was going to make the same point as No Fat Chicks, but I wasn't 100% sure if it was right or not; about Ashlee Simpson not writing her own songs.

There are people who have some talent, but blow it out by playing 4 powerchords every song, but write catchy songs. Then there are people who have talent, but can't write a good melody. There is a median between the two.
"Aren't a lot of Guns n Roses and Velvet Revolver (a la Slash) solo's just Pentatonic?"

yes, but there is alot of difference between slash's pentatonics and bj's

for instance, slash uses several notes...
My gear,

roland Jazz chourus
Big muff
Mxr Phase100
bass i built myself
Morley Wah

Quote by JamieB

Do you even listen to Green Day's lyrics? Go to the Songwriting and Lyrics forum and I'm sure find at least few who well surpass Billie Joe's songwriting.(maybe not his ability but what he writes for the band)

I dunno, maybe I misread you but did you just say that Metallica sucks to much to play power chords? And honestly, If you a fan of green day you can't say metallica is a crap band, because even their new stuff is better than green day.

Doesn't being the only guitarist make him the lead guitarist?
Quote by No_Fat_Chicks
Why do you guys care so much? What makes you think the guy cant play? I bet he would crush you in a duel. Those videos were over 10-15 years old seriously pull your heads out of your ass's. Why would he put some shred or sweep in a freaking pop punk song? i dont even like greenday btw.

And what do any of you like? I see alot of threads about how shreding sucks and its boring, yet you bash BJ because he "cant shred" hmmmm

And do any of you actually know him personally and can prove he cant play??? NO!

By all means if you think your better, put up a video or recording. If your better talk shit if not shut the **** up.

I agree 100%
I think Billie Joe is a great songwriter, and I think he doesnt show everything he has in his songs skill wise, now if your talking about his singing, I guess for his style he's good, but all around singing he's not, unless he's not showing his singing skills for that either.

He's been playing for years i'm sure he knows his way around the guitar better than most of the people in this forum.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Page 1 of 3