I just played an AC30 at local music store. it was 1x12 but i don't know which speaker it was, VOX offer a range to choose from.

Anyway, after playing through it with an SG (standard, i have the special) i just loved the warmth of it.

The sound I'm aiming for is sort of Kill Switch Engage sound. Sort of a hardcore sound i guess you'd say. Now that would be the MESA territory but I'm not loaded.

So, i was wondering...

With the warmth of the VOX and just its amazing tone would it be a good idea to mix it with a good overdrive/distortion pedal? Or is it better to aim for the amp with the over drive channel?
Gibson, Martin, Orange, Apple.
i realise that, it was built for its tone, for its clean. But do you think it wud sound good with a decent pedal?
with an OD pedal and some humbuckers you can get a nice hard rock distortion... think early Foo Fighters-type distortion
Yeah, as much as I love the AC-30, I really don't think it suits the tone you're looking for. You can really get that tone out of any high-gain amp, but yeah, the cheapest route to go would be Mesa. The Stiletto would be my suggestion. Just save up. If you don't have the money now, work your balls off, a good amp is so worth. I'd stay way from the rectifier series though. I know a lot of people love those things but I can't stand them, I like the Stiletto cause it's Mesa's take on classic EL-34 sound, and they actually pull it off, something Marshall hasn't been able to do for at least a decade. So get yourself a good high gain amp, shop around. Then put the amp on a low gain setting, and throw on a Ibanez or Maxon 808. That's the sound right there. Lot's of low end, but with the clarity of a Tubescreamer to get the pick attack and dynamics of your playing.
stereobloom.bandcamp.com
facebook.com/stereobloommusic
Quote by Gutch220
with an OD pedal and some humbuckers you can get a nice hard rock distortion... think early Foo Fighters-type distortion

I just put on 'the colour and the shape'
If i can get this tone/sound id be well happy mate xD

But i know what you mean Leybick. But i just cant wait, and its not that i cant afford a messa. Its just that i dont want to spend that much on an amp when im not going to challenge it that much. I mean i only want a 30watt valve amp, thats all im going to need for local gigs, there arent many stadiums in my local area, and even then all they ever do is mic up, lol.