i'm competent (but not brilliant) on bass and really really wanna get into a band. problem is i want to know the fretboard before i join a band coz it'll make life easier. anybody got any reasonably quick methods to learn the fretboard???
cheers
--------------------------------
------7-------------------------
--------------------------------
------5--------------------------

as you can see both of those notes is an A

learn the octave shape, thus if you know the notes along the E and A strings you know all of the notes on your bass
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
I just learnt it by remembering the strings (EADG), knowing hat the fifth fret on each was the same as the next string and it just came to me. Really.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
A, A#/Bb, B, C, C#/Db, D, D#/Eb, E, F, F#/Gb, G, G#/Ab THese are the notes in order... If you were on the E string just count up E next fret would be F next fret would be F#/Gb then so on.
Just learn the Major scale the rest is easy and automatic.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by John Swift
Just learn the Major scale the rest is easy and automatic.

Scales, arpeggio shapes and octave shapes will help. Also, if you can sight read, learn a few melodies on bass, esp. in the upper frets (> 10).
Check out activebass.com

It have something cool for it.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Play the natural scale in both fifth and seventh positions.(A minor and C major) For the first position just get beginner book that should get you competent.

G--------------------------------------4---5---7---------------
D-----------------------------5---7----------------------------
A----------------5---7---8-------------------------------------
E---5---7---8--------------------------------------------------

G------------------------------------------------7---9---10---
D--------------------------------7---9---10-------------------
A-----------------7---8---10----------------------------------
E--7---8---10--------------------------------------------------

Say the note names as you go. As reference the Fifth fret E string is A. The Seventh B. Once you have that down do it in thirds with note names. Then do it with the unison (everytime you play an fretted A play the A string, Fretted D, D string etc.) Then thirds and unison. Beyond the twelfth fret you're just starting over. To learn the notes in between these two scales shouldn't be too hard.
I learnt it by using a piano and remember which notes had sharps/flats and then working it out slowely, after a while I just remembered
Warwick Jazzman
Hartke 1415 140Watt
Boss Overdrive
Knowing the whole 5th fret is the next string down is helpful. Another thing is knowing the 7th fret is an octave higher than the string below. Like the E on an A string is the 7th fret and is one octave higher than the E string.

The site aixelsydevahi posted is good as well.
start on the G string and set your metronome to a low level, start with the first A on the G string, and by the next tic of the metronome, move to the next A on that string. then move up to the D string and on the next tic you should play the next A, then the next, then move to the A string and repeat, then the E and repeat. Then go back to the G string and start on B. over the month, just keep upping the tempo to make you move faster. eventually you will be able to move like a bullet around the fretboard. Also, as Anarkee said, two-octave major arpeggios are brilliant as they make you think ahead to the next note.

Do that for ten mins a day and within a month you will know the fretboard better than your willy
Last edited by Applehead at Feb 19, 2007,