Just to see what everyone thinks is the best one, yeah they look pretty similar but there has to be some major differences in performance right?

So,

Epiphone Les Paul Standard

or

Agile Les Paul copy

Post reasons please :]
Prepare for a flamefest.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
well... the agile is 100% mahogany... and i've heard great things about the craftsmanship. it just doesn't feel right buying it online and having it shipped it from korea before i can even feel if the neck is right for me. and i'm sure the cost of the agile doubles when you include shipping, handling, customs, sales tax, etc... all the way from korea. i can't say i've played one, because they don't have them in stores. and worse yet, i would hate for it to arrive damaged and have to send it back.

the epiphones are also made in korea, but you can get them at your local store, and play dozens of them to find the one that's right for you. the epiphone factory in korea is actually pretty decent, and i can attest that my own epi LP standard sounds fantastic, and has never given me problems. the body has a slab of alder in it though, which slightly affects the sustain and tone, but not really in a bad way. plus, when you factor in my marshall amp and gibson '57 pickups, it sounds like a les paul to be reckoned with.

my recommendation is to get an epiphone, but play LOTS of them to make sure you get the best one available. some are duds, many are great, a few are gems. have fun.
wow. I never knew that you couldnt buy agile over here, and i agree it would probably double the amount you'd have to pay.

so when you test them out, what exactly do you look for in them?
Just whether they play right or if they are comfortable.
^

pretty much. knock on the guitar all over the body to check for dead-sounding spots.... make sure there's no fret buzzes, and that the neck is comfortable to play. make sure the pickup switch works, and doesn't "pop" or make unwanted noise if you use it while playing. make sure you figure out the tone and volume knobs and that they all work smoothly... no hissing or crackling, etc...

the bridge and headstocks on the LP's are generally fine, but make sure there's nothing totally flawed with them. bring a tuner, and tune each one up before you play it. make sure you really whoop on it and play as hard as you intened to play it anywhere else... then make sure that all the strings are still in tune, or at least that they're in tune with each other... sometimes you'll get a tuning peg that's a dud an causes one string to detune all the time...

happy hunting
Quote by frigginjerk
well... the agile is 100% mahogany... and i've heard great things about the craftsmanship. it just doesn't feel right buying it online and having it shipped it from korea before i can even feel if the neck is right for me. and i'm sure the cost of the agile doubles when you include shipping, handling, customs, sales tax, etc... all the way from korea. i can't say i've played one, because they don't have them in stores. and worse yet, i would hate for it to arrive damaged and have to send it back.

the epiphones are also made in korea, but you can get them at your local store, and play dozens of them to find the one that's right for you. the epiphone factory in korea is actually pretty decent, and i can attest that my own epi LP standard sounds fantastic, and has never given me problems. the body has a slab of alder in it though, which slightly affects the sustain and tone, but not really in a bad way. plus, when you factor in my marshall amp and gibson '57 pickups, it sounds like a les paul to be reckoned with.

my recommendation is to get an epiphone, but play LOTS of them to make sure you get the best one available. some are duds, many are great, a few are gems. have fun.

what are u smoking?! there is a us agile supplier, rondo. Shipping is cheap making the guitar not be that expensive.

rondo music
http://www.rondomusic.net/electricguitar.html
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by mexican_shred
what are u smoking?! there is a us agile supplier, rondo. Shipping is cheap making the guitar not be that expensive.

i was just going by what the threadstarter guy said... i know they're mail-order, which is the main point of my problem with them. I just think it makes better sense to buy instruments directly from a person, and to have many guitars right there that you can actually try out to find the one you like. I've never fallen in love with a guitar from a picture, but when i actually PLAY one that is perfect for me, i know it right there, and i don't have to second guess with mail-order guitars. plus, the threadstarter didn't say he live in the US...
Hey thanks for that link, but there is still the problem of buying online, like frigginjerk says you cant really check the quality over the internet.

I'll probably go down to my local shop and just see whats what

:]
if you get lucky GC sometimes has them. the one here in houston had 3.
spec wise the high end agiles are superior to the epi's.

and with a guitar that is mass produced by machine from a factory there aren't that many differences between the lot of them(Ie them being the same model)
Last edited by mexican_shred at Feb 18, 2007,
epiphone trust.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Hey cheers, but im in the UK so I'll look in both Dawsons and Forsyths as they're the only ones that I know.
oh well if you are in uk then go towards epi. shipping to UK from rondo might be a hassle.