Hey everyone

i want to buy a fender strat and have about 1500 to spend, but when i go on the website and listen to them all the strats sounds very bluesy. I know they can make very rock type tones but wondered which one would be best for iron maiden tones, or richie blackmore tones? i know they both used fenders, but wondered if it was more to do with their amps?

Does anyone know what set-ups they use to get their tone, or if its just about fiddling about with your amp? (i have a bandit 112) or do they have custom pickups? please help.

thanks
well a marshall tube amp is a step in the right direction... and im pretty sure they use those single coil sized HUMBUCKER pickups... but i m not sure
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Last edited by latinosuperstud at Feb 18, 2007,
I'm sure they're played through Fender amps which aren't known for metal tones. Also, a fat strat might be what you're looking for if you're dead set on a fender.
Guitars
2-Fender USA strats
2-San Dimas Charvels
Gibson Les Paul w/EMGs
Ibanez RG760
Ibanez Destroyer
Amps
Fender Twin Reverb RI
Fender Vibroverb Reissue
Lee Jackson XLS-1000
Marshall JCM900 Dual Rev
Marshall JCM900 SLX
I think i'm pretty set on a fender strat. I've been looking at gibson les pauls, and although the have godly tone, and look awesome, ive never been comfy playing them for some reason, i just like the fact that fenders are so light, and the fact that they are contoured, but the problem is the sound, i haven't really found a fender that can match the les paul standard in terms of sound.
Quote by CobenBlack
I think i'm pretty set on a fender strat. I've been looking at gibson les pauls, and although the have godly tone, and look awesome, ive never been comfy playing them for some reason, i just like the fact that fenders are so light, and the fact that they are contoured, but the problem is the sound, i haven't really found a fender that can match the les paul standard in terms of sound.

You know that there are more companies than Fender and Gibson, right? You know you can change the pickups in any guitar, right? You know that your amp contributes to your tone more than your guitar, right?

Fender can match the Les Paul Standard in sound, easily. You just have to try some out. Look for something with a humbucker, maybe.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by MuffinMan
You know that there are more companies than Fender and Gibson, right? You know you can change the pickups in any guitar, right? You know that your amp contributes to your tone more than your guitar, right?

Fender can match the Les Paul Standard in sound, easily. You just have to try some out. Look for something with a humbucker, maybe.

yeah i know that there are more companies than just them, but i've never tried an ibanez that felt right, or got the exact tone i wanted, my jacksons have always been cool to look at, but again haven't sounded like i wanted them to. but i'll agree i do need to play around with more amps. I think thats something i'm going to have to do at some stage soon.

dont fancy changin the pickups though, i dnt like the idea of spending lots of money on a guitar then carving chunks out of it to fit a burstbcker 2 or 3 in it.

thanks for the advice though everyone
Buy something with room for a humbucker, then you dont have to do any "carving." I have a MIM fat strat and I'm going to change the pickup. Your wood, pickup, and amp form your tone. (not to mention playing style, sustain, hardware, cable, the list goes on forever...)
Quote by MusicalMinority
Fat Strats have humbuckers in them. They'll give you the Les Paul sound.

A humbucker in alder is gonna sound different than a humbucker in a huge ass piece of mahogany...
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Quote by MuffinMan

Maybe, but I HIGHLY doubt it.
Quote by Slash Jr.
Maybe, but I HIGHLY doubt it.

actually, strats can be far more versatile than a LP if they have a humbucker.

get yourself a standard strat and a good amp- look at a used mesa boogie mark IV off ebay.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
A Fat Strat maybe.

But Richie's tone is mostly from the Strat's single coil bridge pickup.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I'v been trying to learn some of Adrian's riffs for a wile. I was thinking if I started to get into maiden more to get a Jackson DK2T and swap the pick ups for the dimarzio's he uses. so that would be a distortion in the bridge and a PFA neck humbucker.

As for the Blackmore sound I just had a look in the Total Guitar issue with the Smoke on the water tab it says that he's famous for using fenders with the neck pick up selected running threw a Marshall with emphasis on the Mid.

If your thinking of a strat then I think the USA Highway 1's might be worth looking into H/s/s for the sounds your after.

I don't really know a lot about fender. I'v not really looked into there guitars but i'v read that the new Highway ones have a bridge humbucker with acono(sp) magnets (the same ones slash uses in his Duncan's)

as I said i don't really know much about fenders that just what I'v read in Total Guitar. but that's as much as i can tell you on maiden and blackmore tones

hope that helps
what amp are u using?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Im running a peavey bandit 112 at the moment. btw thanks to everyone for replying u've all helped a lot
if i were u, id pull out about $700 or so for a new amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Go with a highway one strat. They are anywhere from 700 - 1000, if you buy online at GC it'll cost ya 750 plus shipping. Which will leave you 900 for a marshall amp.
An escalator can never break, it can only become temporarily stairs.
Quote by aCCeSS
Go with a highway one strat. They are anywhere from 700 - 1000, if you buy online at GC it'll cost ya 750 plus shipping. Which will leave you 900 for a marshall amp.

^ Read my sig

BTW

If you go with a standard fat strat realize that you will HAVE to replace the humbucker. The one I pulled out of mine was really thin. It sounded like crap. I put a generic pos bucker that I had lying around in there for now. Amazing what a difference it made.

I'm going with gfs p'ups for price but you could drop anything you want in there. Plus, even if you shell out the bucks for an American strat, youre still going to have to replace the p'ups.
Yngwie Malmsteen Strat.

Ritchie is Malmsteen's idol and I think they sound pretty damn similar. Try out the scalloped fretboard too, I ****in love 'em.
None of those guys use single coils.... they are humbuckers discouised as single coils... except really early blackmore.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Malmsteen's are single coils they are just noiseless.

Still very single coil in tone and response.
Quote by livrockdie
^ Read my sig

Seriously, that's totally wrong. Highway ones indeed have a few mexican quality parts, but it's not a mexican with the last screw screwed in in the US. For me the big difference is the neck, which is so much better than any mexi neck I have tried. And since I have the old highway, I like the fact that I can see the grain of the wood, instead of seeing plastic like candy colours.

On top of that, mexi body's are made out of 3-5 pieces of alder, while the highway's have the 1-3 (mostly 3) specs of regular US strats.

Not to speak of the quality control, which makes the chance of having a really bad QC'ed guitar much slimmer.
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
^the old hw1's were a huge rip off, imo.

even alder squiers average 3 pieces.
the new NITRO finish costs hundreds and isnt a candy coated finish.
the pickups they use are better than ever.

and to the livrockdie, they arent made with a last screw turn in the US. they have an american neck, assembled in america.

after the upgrades last year, the hw1 was put right up there as another fender value.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by the_dong146
Throwing this out there

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Special-Mahogany-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=511165

Mahogany American Fat Strat

Closest to Gibson sound you'll get out of a fender, cheaper than most too

Can't go wrong with that bad boy... $1K... Plus put it on their card like somebody else said... I think they give you like 6 months no INT... So ya got six months to pay it off without having them slam you to death with interests payments.

Definitely get a set a locks... I know its been said...
Jamler3
Quote by jj1565
^the old hw1's were a huge rip off, imo.

even alder squiers average 3 pieces.
the new NITRO finish costs hundreds and isnt a candy coated finish.
the pickups they use are better than ever.

and to the livrockdie, they arent made with a last screw turn in the US. they have an american neck, assembled in america.

after the upgrades last year, the hw1 was put right up there as another fender value.

I on the contrary think the old highway's are pretty good. They have a poly satin finish (which lasts longer than pure nitro), the pickups actually make it sound like a strat (the new ones sound cool, but they go too far from the bell like strat tone IMHO). The new ones have different fret size (which is personal preference), a reverse wound middle pickup (which is the only thing the highway really needed as an improvement) and a better trem block (which didn't bother me (I block my trems), but is a nice improvement).

So, all in all, I think the new highways are cool, I just think that with the greasebucket and the new pickups they stray too far from classic strat tones. Sure the old highways had some issues, but they were very nice for the money, the difference with an american strat was minimal.

About the finish, I wasn't talking about highways (both the old and new ones have the nicest finished on budget strats), I just think that regular american strats tend to be candy coloured when they are red, blue etc.

So, the new highways are very cool if you are into more heavier styles, but if you want classic strat tones either switch the pickups or go for a mexi or american strat (or an old highway if you can get one).
Gear:
Gibson les paul Studio faded, modded Buckethead style (killswitch, 1 tone, 1 vol)
Taylor Big Baby 306-GB
Modded Cort KX-5, runaway (neck) and warthog (bridge)
Laney VC-15
Digitech Bad Monkey, EH Big Muff, crybaby JH-1
if u have that much to spend and want a heavy tone casue even the single coils are heay sounding on this (tex-mex=lots of output i have them) god i want this axe!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-American-Series-Stratocaster-HSS-Electric-Guitar?sku=515116
89' fender strat
gibson sg specail with grover tuners
standard tele
ibenez gio bass
takamine eg334sc
72'martin d-15
skbps-45 board, lots of pedals
peavey tripple xxx head w/ marshall cab
I can explain what I know of Blackmore's tone but dont expect it to be at all cheap!!
Also his tone is very complex, he has a great ear!! Its a lot of small things that make it up not only the guitar or amp.
First with the guitar is obviously (mainly) the Fender Strat. Scalloped does also slightly alter the tone.
The strat has two pick-ups the middle is usually a dumy or reversed. These days he uses two Gold lace sensors however these may also be custom made lace sensors considering he has the money.
Another big tone characteristic in his guitar is the Master Tone Circuit which is now available for purchase from his ex-guitar tech 'Dawk' for $325 (US). Best money you'll ever spend IMO! the clarity is just amazing. FYI it basically replaces that cheap cap system, quite subtle, purely amazing!
He actually used Vox Ac30's in the early DP days not the Marshalls beleive it or not, they were put in the Marshall cabinets because they were cool, but then he did go to Marshall and currently uses Engl amps mainly the Soverign and the Savage 120 (I can actually give you a pic of his settings on the Sov)
Another few other effecty things that will help:
RB 77 Piccato strings
an old tape deck (Akai) used in chain (you can see it on his live performances)
Engl also used to make a 'Tube Toner' that is also great but I have never had the chance to use one although with reviews ive read it seems to lose its guts after an hour??
Also BSM make really great clones of the Hornby Skewes Treble Booster, the HS models.
Thats more his live sound anyway
I could go on.... ..but I wont
Obviously you cant afford that but it can give you some info and maybe something to work towards in the next hundred years or so (I wish I could afford all that )

But just get a guitar that feels nice to play and sounds great TO YOU, there are a lot of options. I suggest just a normal strat not the cheap subclasses. Either USA, Japan HW1's are alright (get the oversized headstock) or even Tokai Japanese copies from the 70's-80's and change the pick ups to 'lace sensor golds' and rewire it with a 3-way switch to work B B-N N, efectivley producing a similar sound to the humbucker in the middle position.
Curently I use a Hot Gold (B for a little more OP) and a normal Gold (N) and the Silvers also sound great. If you want something a bit heavier get Reds.
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
Last edited by Master Shake at Feb 22, 2007,