hey ive been thinking of installing a tom morello esque toggle switch into my old squier strat and was wondering how hard that would be. would i have to do a lot of routing to the body and what kind of wiring would i have to do?
NOPE
The amount of routing and what not depends on where you put it. I replaced one of my tone knobs, and I just had to drill into the body with a 1/2" bit right under the switch, because the cavity wasn't deep enough.
MG Free At Last
what type of toggle switch would someone want for this though, like an SPDT switch?
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
You don't even need a DT for this, cos it only breaks the contact. It doesn't switch between two conductors.

Find a robust switch, though, but a relatively long "shaft" so you can put it into the body, and a big lever so it's comfortable to do Morello-isms.
so i understand exactly what it has to be, in that it just has to have one postition where the signal goes through and another position where the signal just stops, but what is the switch?
im looking on radioshack.com and cant seem to find any things of that sort. could you maybe send me a link of one?
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by RHCPfan01
so i understand exactly what it has to be, in that it just has to have one postition where the signal goes through and another position where the signal just stops, but what is the switch?
im looking on radioshack.com and cant seem to find any things of that sort. could you maybe send me a link of one?

Your basic on-off switch is called a single pole single throw, (SPST). Just do a search for SPST and you should find what you need.
MG Free At Last