I got a quick, simple and nubish question:

What exactly is an electric acoustic guitar (the 3rd one on the pic)?
I understand that it is an acoustic guitar that you can plug into an amp BUT is it also possible to play it like a normal acoustic without plugging it in?
..which would, imo, be the best of two worlds.. so I guess not? :/

Also, what is Semi-Acoustic (the 2nd one on the pic), and i wonder, what differs that one from the electro-acoustic?

engstrom: my fingers don't hurt no more!
Last edited by engstrom at Feb 18, 2007,
Yes you can play it like a normal acoustic. theyre made for amplifying an acoustic sound, so generally wouldnt be considered a very good electric. IMO they arent ideal for an acoustic either, id rather just mic a normal one.
the semi acoustic is just a hollow body electric, its got a different sound and would play unplugged like a regular electric.
Last edited by OneRust at Feb 18, 2007,
An electric acoustic is an acoustic guitar with built in pickups on the inside of the guitar, and often has a built in equilizer with it. It has a spot usually on the rear end of the guitar that you can plug a standard guitar cable into to send its sound through an amp. Other than these additions, its a normal acoustic guitar, and can be played as such.
Of my own experiance since i have a acoustic-electric and a pure acoustic, pure acoustics tend to have a better sound because they can resonate more freely and just that small bit of electronics inside is enough to dim out the tone a bit. So i would suggest just getting a normal acoustic, and if you ever need to amplify it than just place a mic right in front of the resonating hole and it will sound way better than an acoustic electric.
Wow, fast replys with great answeres.. Thanks! (:

But for the second question; what differs the Semi one from the Electro?
My guess would be that a Semi can't be played (ofc can be played, but doesn't sound much), without an amp? like the normal Electric guitar, but with the sound of an acoustic once plugged in? ...uhm.. that sounded quite confusing, hope you got it.. (:
engstrom: my fingers don't hurt no more!
a semi can be played without an amp. it just wont sound quite as good or be as loud as an acoustic.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by engstrom
Wow, fast replys with great answeres.. Thanks! (:

But for the second question; what differs the Semi one from the Electro?
My guess would be that a Semi can't be played (ofc can be played, but doesn't sound much), without an amp? like the normal Electric guitar, but with the sound of an acoustic once plugged in? ...uhm.. that sounded quite confusing, hope you got it.. (:

A semi is pretty much a hollow bodied electric that gives a much different sound than an Electro annd a solid body.
Yeah, the acoustic electrics have pickups and can be plugged in easily (but you can buy a pickup for the soundhole for any old acoustic) and a semi acoustic is basicaly just a hollowed out elecric guitar, its niether like an acoustic or a solid body electric but it is more similar to an electric.

Guitars with hollow bodies have more problems with feedback than solid body guitars