Poll: Do you think this thread should be stickyed?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you think this thread should be stickyed?
Yes
31 46%
No
36 54%
Voters: 67.
Page 1 of 3
Stories of things that happened to people that know nothing about instruments.
Here's one.

I was at my friend's house once. She said her brother had a guitar but it was broken. He got it for christmas 2 years ago. Apparently, when he was tuning it, the high E came off. Not broke, came off the tuning peg. So he tossed it in the case thinking it couldn't be fixed. 2 years of a guitar sitting around because the high E came off. It was a decent Esteban too.

Post more.
the game
Last edited by shuriken at Apr 18, 2007,
I didnt change my strings for 2 years because i didnt know that strat bodies were back strung.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
My little brother turned my Jazz Chourus up to ten, it has 2 12 inch speakers, and 120 watts of power, we had to replace the all of the neighborhood's windows
My gear,

roland Jazz chourus
les paul model i built myself
Big muff
squire bullet soon to be hot rodded
Mxr Phase100
bass i built myself
Morley Wah

"I'm still trying to figure
out why kamikaze pilots wore helmets."
My friend tried to convince me that tapping was when you hit the back of the body to get some wierd sound.
Gear
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Ibanez Jump Start
Fender Acoustic
Ibanez Tone Blaster 100 Head
Hartke 412 Cab
Boss Chromatic Tuner Pedal
Boss Noise Suppressor
Ibanez Weaping Demon
This annoying guy at school called Robert likes to show off at every occasion. He plays the drums really well, but he recently started guitar, just to brag. He shows off about it so much even though he sucks.

He has an Epi Les Paul Special II, which he says is a very rare model just like Bob Marley's guitar, and was custom made for him (he's left handed).

Epiphone's catalog says "Our most popular guitar at a price anyone can afford. Also available left handed"

Smart kid.
my friend can make the sound of a whammy bar by pushing the neck in and out. its probly bad for the guitar, but it sounds cool. another friend did it with his bass, and has decided that he is going to put a four string tremelo system on his bass.
My gear,

roland Jazz chourus
Big muff
Mxr Phase100
bass i built myself
Morley Wah

i know one guy who tought the tremolo bar is just there to show you the right way of downpicking, and lp's and other guitars without a tremolo are for better guitarists
this isn't about an instrument but its about somebody oblivious..... My friend and I asked our friend who Jimi Hendrix was, Shes as cute as anything we love her to death but she says ohhh Jimi Hendrix he was a drummer right? from Led zeppelin? we just looked at eachother and laughed lol it was kind of mean to laugh at her because its not her Genre or anything but it was pretty funny lol
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
"i know one guy who tought the tremolo bar is just there to show you the right way of downpicking, and lp's and other guitars without a tremolo are for better guitarists"

that is pretty funny. thing is, my friend has a strat, and he is realy good, but he is kinda new, he is amazing though. he and i were listening to some G'N R and at the end of the song there was a dive bomb, and he asked how they did it, i picked up his strat, and did a dive bomb. he said "oh, I was wondering what that thingy was for"
My gear,

roland Jazz chourus
Big muff
Mxr Phase100
bass i built myself
Morley Wah

Some girl who lives down the street snapped a guitar string, and just stopped playing the guitar because she didn't know you could take the broken string off.

Most lol.
Yes. It's a sig. Get over it.

www.myspace.com/maddo69

Yes. It's my rig. Get over it.
Ibanez Apex 2.
ESP F-100FM.
Tanglewood Odyssey.
Boss GT-8 Guitar Effects Pedal.
Marshall MG100HDFX w/ AVT412X cab.
i asked my friend (big guy, not too bright), who wrote stairway to heaven. he said ACDC
the game
Quote by pht
i know one guy who tought the tremolo bar is just there to show you the right way of downpicking, and lp's and other guitars without a tremolo are for better guitarists

I USED TO THINK THAT WHEN I WAS A N00B! Probably cos there wasn't a lot of tremolo work in the mainstream when I was growing up....
Quote by guitarmakerpugh
My little brother turned my Jazz Chourus up to ten, it has 2 12 inch speakers, and 120 watts of power, we had to replace the all of the neighborhood's windows

pretty hard to believe
My bassist once had my mic plugged into his amp and put on distortion.....

Then woke up my drummer's father with the feedback.....

We never played at the drummer's house since.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
A friend of mine went to Memphis and told me about a guy who came into a guitar shop with a wrecked 54 Strat. Apparently, this guy had been using the whammy bar backwards and had ripped the whole thing, along with a big chunk of wood, out of the guitar.
Quote by crazydiamond73
You, my friend, are a genius.
My silly friend said, "Is the death metal you listen to like Slipknot. 'ooh wah ah aaah!'".

I punched him in the face.

"Is that a yes?"
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
my freind thought that my t-shirt said, Ned-Zeppelin, for the longest time he called the band Ned-zeppelin
Last edited by Markieg3 at Feb 18, 2007,
My friend's brother had a new strat, and the e-string broke. He thought the guitar was useless, so he took screws and put it up on his wall. Man, I really could've used it then.
Quote by Markieg3
my freind thought that my t-shirt said, Ned-Zeppelin, for the longest time he called the band Ned-zeppelin

So what?

Ned Zeppelin is my all time favorite band.
Quote by Shib

The internet: Men are men, women are men and little girls are FBI agents.
i sold my neighbor a ESP f-250, with a licensed floyd rose. He's decent, and knows some stuff about guitar but he took all the locking nuts off of the guitar. So, he tuned it all up and got it perfect and then his dad came in the room and screamed "look at me, I'm Angus!" and just started banging the whammy bar... My neighbor almost cried because he'd just spent 30 minutes tuning it..
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
I am told this story is true. My local music shop owner told me. And the guy who did it, well, it may just be true. I mean this guy has buried a guitar and refuses to say where, and has sold a guitar under a fake name. The town I stay in isn't that big so most good musicians know each other.

Anyways, this guy apparently bought an electric guitar, a strat. He got home but obviously couldn't get sound from it, not even when he plugged it in. So he took his cable, cut the jack off one side and attached a regular wall plug and plugged it in. He landed up in hospital for 2 weeks with burn wounds and stuff. I have seen the alleged guittar - all the strings are fused into the neck of the guitar and the pickups are melted.

Even if the story isn't true, it creates a great image in my mind.

Cheers
Quote by walkinbazooka
My silly friend said, "Is the death metal you listen to like Slipknot. 'ooh wah ah aaah!'".

I punched him in the face.

"Is that a yes?"

That's hilarious
O! music: Click (Youtube)

^ Click to see an acoustic arrangement of Ke$ha's 'Your Love is my Drug' - everyone's favourite song.
I know a kid who bought the Halifax man song. He thought that you fretted notes with a pick. My other friend only plays powerchords, bur he uses his pinky. He can't even add in the octave! He's been playing for a whole year. He also dated a fat chick.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
Quote by mr kipling
I know a kid who bought the Halifax man song. He thought that you fretted notes with a pick. My other friend only plays powerchords, bur he uses his pinky. He can't even add in the octave! He's been playing for a whole year. He also dated a fat chick.

Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by sashki
This annoying guy at school called Robert likes to show off at every occasion. He plays the drums really well, but he recently started guitar, just to brag. He shows off about it so much even though he sucks.

He has an Epi Les Paul Special II, which he says is a very rare model just like Bob Marley's guitar, and was custom made for him (he's left handed).

Epiphone's catalog says "Our most popular guitar at a price anyone can afford. Also available left handed"

Smart kid.

I have a friend who says that about his Epi Les Paul too! He says it was custom, even though it was only a stupid colour that they didn't make billions of.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
we invited this guy over to watch our band practice, and he plays guitar, and he was holdin the only guitar and we needed a G note, so we were like 'play a G note' and he was like 'i dunno where a G note is, i know the G STRING, but not a G NOTE.' and we were like... 'just play a G power chord.' and he couldn't like play it, like know where to play it. and we were like 'what the hell?' and he was like 'sorry, i dont play your pussy power chords,' and i was like 'then play a G bar chord!' and he was like whatever.

EDIT: ^ you mean he could'nt like add in the D string octave on any E power chord, and he uses his pinky to play the notes on the A string?
Last edited by Glen'sHeroicAct at Feb 24, 2007,
Some idiot in my school thinks he has the first Les Paul ever made.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Glen'sHeroicAct
we invited this guy over to watch our band practice, and he plays guitar, and he was holdin the only guitar and we needed a G note, so we were like 'play a G note' and he was like 'i dunno where a G note is, i know the G STRING, but not a G NOTE.' and we were like... 'just play a G power chord.' and he couldn't like play it, like know where to play it. and we were like 'what the hell?' and he was like 'sorry, i dont play your pussy power chords,' and i was like 'then play a G bar chord!' and he was like whatever.

Dude, I wouldn't be able to do that either. I don't know any theory, and I mean NONE (other than one scale). I also use my pinky for power chords.
To me, this does not make me a bad PLAYER. I know it's annoying when people rant like this, but still, I don't think you should label him as a bad player and a loser just because he don't know the theory, he may still be a great player.

On another note, my bass player insists that the Gain knob controls the volume, and that tje Volume knob adds distortion. Dunno where he got it from, but I'm not one to argue, so I let him believe that.
Quote by shuriken
i asked my friend (big guy, not too bright), who wrote stairway to heaven. he said ACDC

Maybe he meant Highway to hell and it was opposites day.
My friend tried to convince me his 20 watt crate bass amp was custom made.

I just laughed at him .

Quote by Renka
Dude, I wouldn't be able to do that either. I don't know any theory, and I mean NONE (other than one scale). I also use my pinky for power chords.
To me, this does not make me a bad PLAYER. I know it's annoying when people rant like this, but still, I don't think you should label him as a bad player and a loser just because he don't know the theory, he may still be a great player.

On another note, my bass player insists that the Gain knob controls the volume, and that tje Volume knob adds distortion. Dunno where he got it from, but I'm not one to argue, so I let him believe that.

That's not theory, that's basic knowledge that everyone should know. G string = G note.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Mar 31, 2007,
Quote by MetalMilitia212
That's not theory, that's basic knowledge that everyone should know. G string = G note.

Well, that's your opinion and I don't share it.
It's like how people tell you how you "need to know chords". I learned like four chords because there is one song I like that I need them for, and that song was originally played on a piano (In this River by Black Label Society).

People love to push these things on each other; "you need to know this", "if you don't know that you can't play guitar", but to me, well, I'd rather just decide for myself what to do with my guitar and how to play it, and I don't care if some one thinks I need to learn a G-chord to count as a guitarist, because I know I would never use it in any of my songs anyway.

That's how I see it.
Quote by Renka
Well, that's your opinion and I don't share it.
It's like how people tell you how you "need to know chords". I learned like four chords because there is one song I like that I need them for, and that song was originally played on a piano (In this River by Black Label Society).

People love to push these things on each other; "you need to know this", "if you don't know that you can't play guitar", but to me, well, I'd rather just decide for myself what to do with my guitar and how to play it, and I don't care if some one thinks I need to learn a G-chord to count as a guitarist, because I know I would never use it in any of my songs anyway.

That's how I see it.

A guitarist is a musician.

You cannot be a competent musician if you don't know what a G chord is, or how to play one on a particular instrument.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
A guitarist is a musician.

You cannot be a competent musician if you don't know what a G chord is, or how to play one on a particular instrument.

I agree
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
i was convinced that this picture of me would prove that your friend downstairs can be a musical instrument.

the game
When I first got the guitar I thought that the tuning pegs were used to alter the sound whilst playing i.e. I'd play a note on say the G string and then I'd twist the machine head for the G string making the sound got higher and lower.

Yes...I did know very, very little when I started, I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Page 1 of 3