Page 1 of 2
Hey UG!

What do you consider a great tone?

For example: I think that a warm, full sound is the best tone. What do you think?
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
I think there are many good tones, it's hard to define. But I think everyone can recognise bad tone.
Quote by Muppet
Hey UG!
What do you think?

i think that this is possibly one of the dumbest threads ever.
the game
Quote by mulletman500
I think there are many good tones, it's hard to define. But I think everyone can recognise bad tone.

very well put.
I like my one with a kinda crunch, bite to it when playing some riffs etc. Then a really thick powerful gainy lead for soloing... kinda hard to explain. Like, Dream Theater tone for soloing and Megadeth for riffing.
Quote by Mwoit
I like my one with a kinda crunch, bite to it when playing some riffs etc. Then a really thick powerful gainy lead for soloing... kinda hard to explain. Like, Dream Theater tone for soloing and Megadeth for riffing.

EXACTLY
Warm, Full tone with quite a lot Bass but not to much and quite a lot reverb
Quote by mulletman500

Actually, there is no such thing as "bad" tone, just disliked tone. All tone is opinion based which means there can be no bad or good tone, just tones people like or dislike.
Guitars
Agile 3100 CSB
ESP MH400 w/ Trem-Setter
Epi G-310
Applause Acoustic

Amps
1968 Fender Vibrochamp - Great amp, only $100 fixxer-upper
Line 6 Spider II

REMEMBER, ALL TONE IS SUBJECTIVE!
Quote by SGStrummer61
Actually, there is no such thing as "bad" tone, just disliked tone. All tone is opinion based which means there can be no bad or good tone, just tones people like or dislike.

There ARE bad tones. There are good tones which people don't like, but they are totally different to a bad tone.

My favorite tones are:
-SRV's bell like clean tones
-Angus Young's biting overdrive
-Deryck Whibley's and Dan Hawkin's roaring distorted rhythms, warm but heavy. The sound that inspired me to start guitar!
-Michael Amott's crushing metal tone
-Steve Vai's 'singing' lead sound

I wish I could find an axe that could produce all those...
All the 5 switch positions of an SSS Strat through a good valve amp.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Arlabester
hard trebly bite. thats what i consider tone.

<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

A nice vintage Strat through a real nice clean valve amp. Nice glassy, bell-like vintage clean tone.

That's one of my favourite tones, but I can't single it down to just one.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Lots of mids and crunch!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
^ Yeah, definately a nice thick mid boost!
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
My first question would be "What for?"

As far as I'm concerned you can't have one good tone for eveything, different styles of music require different tones...you can't do metal with a really low gain OD sound etc...
Anything with warm, full mids. Detest that scooped mid sound, its so....cliche. I like to roll tone off for chords but tone nearly full for solos, for a real biting, warm, crunchy sound.
High treble, mid mid and Low bass. high gain with a bit of delay or reverb.
>>Metal_Fretter<<

My gear:
Ibanez S470
Roland cube 30
Boss PW-10 v-wah
Marshall jackhammer
For me, Andy Timmons "That was then, This is now" crunch for lead and Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Little Wing" Clean or some Jazz guitarist's clean (full hollowbodies have godly clean tones).
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Zakk Wylde's tone...

Les Paul W/ EMG's thru a Marshall JCM 2000
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by dudetheman
Zakk Wylde's tone...

Les Paul W/ EMG's thru a Marshall JCM 2000

zakk wylde uses an MG, duh.

and SRV's tone on little wing. or satch's on starry night.

EDIT: shoot. beat to it.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by tubab0y
zakk wylde uses an MG, duh.

and SRV's tone on little wing. or satch's on starry night.

EDIT: shoot. beat to it.

HAHAHAHA yeah

"The distortion is rocking, and leads are crushing!!!"

"He usually gives preference to Marshall amplifiers such as the JCM800 2203's and 2204's (He has his own Signature JCM800ZW Amp with replaced tubes and cabinet loaded with EVM12L-Black Label guitar speakers). "

Sorry, JCM 800's, my bad.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I REALLY like Santana's tone....cliche as it may seem but him and David Gilmour have awesome tone.
warm, bell like cleans, plenty of chime for clean rhythms. Very smooth, bassy for clean leads. A touch of overdrive with plenty of high end for crunch rhythm. Smooth as silk distorted leads with plenty of bass and highs, a bit of reverb and a touch of delay.
Quote by mulletman500

I beg to differ... i know a lot of people who say that their tone is sweet when it really sucks.
METALLICA.
Either a thick middy overdriven amp sound, or a clean/slightly broken up amp with a Strat's neck pickup.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
For blues I love a really muddy overdrive with a little bit of crunch.

For everything else I like so much gain it becomes smooth. Its almost a high pitched sort of sound I can only explain as electric cream-cheese.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Harsh and trebly is always good.
But warm and distorted is always good
So is warm and clean
wait i have a better idea:
SRV
Vai
Satch
Dave Mustaine+Megadeth Lead guitarist of the time
Santana
Iommi
Gimour
Dimebag

I'll stop there.
Fat, smooth high gain distortion- Megadeth, Metallica(Master of Puppets and later), Necrophagist, Dragonforce, Dethklok()
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
As my buddy Diamond Jim Green puts it:

Tone is best described as how a woman tells you you're doing her good.
You know you got tone when you see your mojo is working.
Thunderous, Fat, Thick Tone that will make my ****ing balls shake with the sound of the first pinch harmonic, thus making all the fluids in my body boil and distort and make it until a rush of blood fills my face and I feel the force of a 1000 demons rip me apart and put me back together as the first couple of riffs hits. Earth shattering tone that will split the ground in half and make demons crawl out of the pits of hell...

that's how I like my tone.
Well, that's a totally personal thing. For me, the only "bad" tone is a tone that's thin and just sounds weak. Cream rich tone is okay too, but for me, nothing beats a heavy, deep sound. Something that sounds like it would kill hippies. Crank the gain up to 11 and blow the windows out kind of tone. A thick, chunky tone with enough treble to not sound weak-sauce.
Jackson Rhoads V: The Hippie-Slayer
Quote by SynysterGates90
Well, that's a totally personal thing. For me, the only "bad" tone is a tone that's thin and just sounds weak. Cream rich tone is okay too, but for me, nothing beats a heavy, deep sound. Something that sounds like it would kill hippies. Crank the gain up to 11 and blow the windows out kind of tone. A thick, chunky tone with enough treble to not sound weak-sauce.

Why are you obsessed with killing hippies?
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Brian May - singing leads
John Petrucci - heavy riffing
Ron Thal - unique shred solo
Alex Lifeson - chordal madness

those are my masters of tone.
*they all have at least one piece of signature gear.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I find it really difficult to describe tone, i mean how do u have a warm tone? i get the idea behind the term, but i couldn't listen to a guitar and say ooo it sounds warm!

however, i can describe in terms that you can understand if you've heard the song, i love the tone (for hard rock) of brian may on the solo to resurrection. its absolutely amazingly cool, (i'm gonna invent my own term for it here) its kind of a ripping/ seething sort of tone. not heavy, but very direct sharp, but muffled. haha, ive just read that back, it makes no sense at all

i apologize to neone who read this post and got so confused that they wake up in the morning and now think they are an onion
Slash on Appetite for Destruction for rock. Good throaty midrange sound.
(Custom LP Copy, Gibson Les Paul and Marshall)

Marcus Siepen from Blind Guardian for metal. I really love the way he uses his wah as a boost for his solo sound.
(Gibson Les Paul and Mesa Triple Rec)

Guess you could say I am partial to the Les Paul sound. Something about the warmth and thickness of them that gives me goosebumps. Though I like strats and teles for thinner clean sounds.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Quote by mw7
Fat, smooth high gain distortion- Megadeth, Metallica(Master of Puppets and later), Necrophagist, Dragonforce, Dethklok()

dont be ashamed of dethklok. they pwn.
Page 1 of 2