Hello, I am wondering about which I should get. I have a Marshall MG 15CD Series amp (45W) and I have been doing some research. I am looking for the sound of a tube amp. I found the B 52 At 112 tube amp and I liked its size and cost. I was set on it for a while and then I was looking around and found the TS808 Tubescreamer pedal. I heard that the pedal is great. I want something that will last but I also want the better sound. Which do I get?

Thanks,
Chocolame
The pedal's great, but upgrade your amp first.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Great pedal will still sound crap on your amp!

You obviously get the amp! It doesnt take someone smart to figure that!!!
if you want tube tone, you'll only truly be able to get that with a tube amp. i don't like b-52s, though. for $550 you can get a bigger, better-sounding tube amp. let me know what kind of music you play and if you have any requirements (# of channels...stuff like that) and i'll give you some options.
I play Thrash, Metal, Death Metal, and speed metal. Mostly Metallica, Megadeth, Guns N Roses, Trivium, Kalmah, Children of Bodom, Death, Iron Maiden, etc. And thanks to all you guys who posted!
Get the amp. I like B-52s.
My rig, homes:
Godin Freeway Floyd w/ Bill Lawrence XL-500 in bridge
Dunlop Wylde Wah
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Crate XT120R
SIT Strings 9-42
Dunlop Gator Grip picks 1.5mm

Want:
MIM Telecaster
Ibanez RG 1570
Crate Blue Voodoo
valveking or a used peavey 5150.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Yeah definately aim for a new amp, I had the same amp you do and it's an awful amp (it's 15W too by the way not 45W).

I know I've been plugging them a lot lately but check out the Ashdown Fallen Angel, they're clearing them at the moment for a new model and they're pretty damn cheap.
Heard good things about the B-52. Def upgrade your amp first... that's a no-brainer.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
well heres the thing definetly a new amp first, i use a maxon od808 which is esstentially the same pedal and it sounds amazing with my amps, now as for amps, im not a fan of the B52, its tube but the tone isnt really that great, the valve king pry not a good option decent amp not enough gain for you, id look into a used JCM900, 5150, XXX, or check into maybe some newer used carvins, some of there tube amps will suprise you with tone and price, i tried a B52 and really wasnt impressed, theyre basically trying to rip off a recto tone and failed miserably
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by dertjoe
well heres the thing definetly a new amp first, i use a maxon od808 which is esstentially the same pedal and it sounds amazing with my amps, now as for amps, im not a fan of the B52, its tube but the tone isnt really that great, the valve king pry not a good option decent amp not enough gain for you, id look into a used JCM900, 5150, XXX, or check into maybe some newer used carvins, some of there tube amps will suprise you with tone and price, i tried a B52 and really wasnt impressed, theyre basically trying to rip off a recto tone and failed miserably

Just curious... did you get the chance to crank it? I've heard some very impressive sound clips of the AT100 though I only fiddled with one at GC. Didnt crank it though.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
i did crank it, i used the head, ran it through a marshall 1960a, it was really treble heavy and alot of the chords and lead lines lost clarity as i played more, it all kind of jumbled together, i messed around with the settings and if the gain wasnt up it sounded horrible, and if the gain went up too much it just sounded too unclear
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
yeah, i just feel like the tone of the AT-100 sticks to the back of my ears in a really unpleasant way. i agree that, for the styles you play, a 5150 would be a good bet. also, look into the Madison Divinity head.
I will check into those amps. Also do my pickups alter which amp I should buy?
they may...if you're trying to get tight, responsive, chunky tone, you won't be able to do it with single coils or crappy humbuckers. chances are, though, that if you spent a decent amount on a reasonable guitar, the pickups won't make a load of difference.
The B52 At100 obviously. Even with the Tubescreamer in front of it, your MG still sound like garbage. You may want to buy the Tubescreamer a bit later on, to use it to boost the B52.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
^ yes they do. Next time try it before making comments like that.
i wasted $40 because people on THIS forum told me od pedals woudln't work on SS amps only to find that they work perfectly on SS amps. It's a common misconception on UG and people here are making it worse.
they do work on SS amps, but they wont overdrive a tube obviously since SS amps have no tubes, but OD is esstentially a device to overdrive your tubes more to get more saturation and gain, thats why they work alot better with single channel amps that do not have very complex gain circuits, as for pickups, in a sense yes, if you want EMGs a darker amp will make those sound better IMO since they are a brighter pickup, also which ones you use, 2 81s is possibly the best rythm tone for metal, 81/85 great lead tone or even a good overdriven blues sound, 81/60, great lead, decent rythm and an ok clean tone, i use duncans now adays but i like clarity over pure raunchy ballsyness
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by wonder725
^ yes they do. Next time try it before making comments like that.
i wasted $40 because people on THIS forum told me od pedals woudln't work on SS amps only to find that they work perfectly on SS amps. It's a common misconception on UG and people here are making it worse.

well they dont sound very good.
Overdrive pedals SIMULATE overdrive, they don't create it. Of course they'll sound better w/ tube amps, everything does. But the point is they'll do the same exact thing with an SS amp. Have you tried useing od pedals on solid states? My od and ss are right in front of me.
Quote by wonder725
Overdrive pedals SIMULATE overdrive, they don't create it. Of course they'll sound better w/ tube amps, everything does. But the point is they'll do the same exact thing with an SS amp. Have you tried useing od pedals on solid states? My od and ss are right in front of me.

^ Truth.

A booster pedal overdrives your amp, an OD sounds like it's overdriving your amp.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
^ Truth.

A booster pedal overdrives your amp, an OD sounds like it's overdriving your amp.

???

are you sure? then should i have gotten a boost?
Quote by Arlabester
???

are you sure? then should i have gotten a boost?

An OD can be a great pedal, but if you want to specifically overdrive your amp, then a booster pedal is the way to go. You can boost your amp with an OD, as you can with any pedal with a volume control (The Edge used a Deluxe Memory Man as a boost for years), but that's not it's primary purpose.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
An OD can be a great pedal, but if you want to specifically overdrive your amp, then a booster pedal is the way to go. You can boost your amp with an OD, as you can with any pedal with a volume control (The Edge used a Deluxe Memory Man as a boost for years), but that's not it's primary purpose.

so what my OD technically does overdrive it?
No what your OD technically does is make a fake overdrive. What it CAN do is make your signal louder and therefore OD your amp.
Quote by wonder725
No what your OD technically does is make a fake overdrive. What it CAN do is make your signal louder and therefore OD your amp.

thats overdrive, the louder the amp is driving (on a tube amp) the more it breaks up.

i have a TS-808 btw.
The point is that that's not what your pedal is made to do. Overdriving an amp is something any pedal with a volume and level can do.
I dunno, I like the sound of my B-52 cranked...

Gear
Gibson Explorer
Epi Les Paul Standard

Amp
B-52 AT-100 Half stack.

An overdrive pedal simulates the sound of an overdriven tube amp. A good one will warm up the sound of a SS amp nicely. That's where the big misconception here lies; that OD pedals are just for tube amps. Be nice is that myth died. Booster pedals are for tube amps, and will sound like utter crap on one of the solid state variety.

That said, any pedal with a volume control can help push it into overdrive, including an overdrive pedal. But when it's being operated in that capacity, it's really not an overdrive, it's a boost.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.