ive been playing guitar for a while and i recently joined a band that need a bass player. i can get a bass quite cheaply but it might be a while before i can afford an amp, but i happen to have a laney AH50, which my guitar and microphone both sound great through. but will it work with a bass?
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
For the love of fuck, use the search button. This question is asked several times a week.

Short answer: No, you can't, especially not if you're jamming.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
You can but it won't sound great and you could blow the speakers if you play it too loud. It's alright if you're sitting in your room practicing but it's not advised for anything else. This said, there's always exceptions. I would siggest just saving up for a bass amp.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

are there any cheap bass amps around?
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
you can, but it wont sound great. the difference between bass amps and guitar amps is the frequency range. bass amps are designed for lower frequencies, guitar amps arent meant to go quite as low, so while it will work, you will probably get some unusual distortion. i highly doubt that it will cause any damage to anything, unless you have another voltage amplifier seperate from the actual amp itself. try it and see if you like it, i actually know a couple people who prefer to play their bass through a guitar amp
u cant spell slaughter without laguhter!

Quote by drew
look, lets not go into who drunk-called who, who threw what at who, or who put what in the freezer
Quote by jeowy
are there any cheap bass amps around?

What's your budget?

Quote by eells
you can, but it wont sound great. the difference between bass amps and guitar amps is the frequency range. bass amps are designed for lower frequencies, guitar amps arent meant to go quite as low, so while it will work, you will probably get some unusual distortion. i highly doubt that it will cause any damage to anything, unless you have another voltage amplifier seperate from the actual amp itself. try it and see if you like it, i actually know a couple people who prefer to play their bass through a guitar amp

It would do more than clip the signal, the increased amplitude of the bass signal would cause further excursion of the speaker cone than what it is designed for, damaging the shroud and cone itself. Playing at very low volumes is generally alright, but certainly not recommended.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 18, 2007,
the laney AH50 isnt a guitar amp, its just an active speaker.

oh and i have NO budget at the moment. so really, the question im asking is "whats the cheapest bass amp that it would be morally acceptable for someone to play at a jamming session without hurting peoples ears?"
Quote by mr.happyman
Quote by jeowy
the laney AH50 isnt a guitar amp, its just an active speaker.

oh and i have NO budget at the moment. so really, the question im asking is "whats the cheapest bass amp that it would be morally acceptable for someone to play at a jamming session without hurting peoples ears?"

Check out the Fender Rumble series. If you're just jamming, you may be able to get away with getting the 60W version (unless you have an overly enthusiastic drummer), but get the 100W version if at all possible. If you're gigging, you'll need to save a decent amount of money and get at least a 200W amp.

Scan the classifieds for used amps, too. You can often find good deals.

EDIT: The Rumble 100: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-100-Bass-Combo?sku=480721

There is also the Bassman series, which is slightly more expensive, but has more features and better construction/components

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Bassman-100-Combo-Amp?sku=480871

And I just saw this one, also a very nice amp with more features than the standard Rumble 100, plus having two 10" speakers is generally better than a 15" alone, simply for the level of definition.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-Series-100210-100-Watt-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481138
Quote by MetalUpTheAss

Last edited by canadianpunk071 at Feb 18, 2007,
go to music go round

they have warantees on their equipment so if its abum amp you can return it

oh and plus theyre really good

i got my Peavy TKO 65 bass amp there for 250 and it came with casters and was almost brand new

oh and unless your drummer isnt that loud dont get a fender unless your gonna shell out for a BIG one

cuz something smaller with get drowned out in a hurry

go for anything (not just fender) with 2 tens or a 15 and a tweeter

those will set u right
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
Quote by canadianpunk071
Check out the Fender Rumble series. If you're just jamming, you may be able to get away with getting the 60W version (unless you have an overly enthusiastic drummer), but get the 100W version if at all possible. If you're gigging, you'll need to save a decent amount of money and get at least a 200W amp.

Scan the classifieds for used amps, too. You can often find good deals.

EDIT: The Rumble 100: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-100-Bass-Combo?sku=480721

There is also the Bassman series, which is slightly more expensive, but has more features and better construction/components

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Bassman-100-Combo-Amp?sku=480871

And I just saw this one, also a very nice amp with more features than the standard Rumble 100, plus having two 10" speakers is generally better than a 15" alone, simply for the level of definition.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Rumble-Series-100210-100-Watt-2x10-Bass-Combo-Amp?sku=481138
wow thanx... very nice of you to go to all that trouble
Quote by mr.happyman
First, dont play Bass to join a band
Second, dont play Bass through a guitar amp

Im out.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
^ That really wasn't necessary, especially considering where this thread has gone (somewhere useful).

And ironically, it was spam.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss