Hey guys, I just started to work at a local music store, and I realized that many people come in and do the same thing I do at guitar stores, just come in, pick up the most expensive guitar, play for an hour or so and then leave. I was wandering does anyone know how many people actually buy a guitar when they go into a store? Like a statistic or something, kind of interested.

Thanks.
Someone's sniffy cos they're working on commission If i'm trying something out like a new pedal or something I don't pick the most expensive guitar i try and pick the one most similar to mine so i can tell what it will sound like with the equipment I have.... but i dunno, can't you just tell timewasters to leave?
You're a sucker if you're letting people play out of their price range.

If a load of kids come in wanting to play a $3000 guitar you ask for some kind of indication that they intend to buy.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Yeah, I am not going to let some punk-ass emo kid come in and play anything worth over $50. But most of my customers definitely know what they are doing and look to have a considerable income. So I let them do as they please, plus it's pretty interesting to listen to them sometimes.
"Show me the money, punk!"

I never pick the most expensive guitar...although I do try relatively expensive gear, but that's cos I'm really thinking of buying it. I've been saving for a long time, and I want to get something good.

Some guy at a music store actually let me try a Les Paul standard. I didn't even ask. He was playing, I was walking around looking for a specific axe...he asked me if I wanted to have a go, and I was like "......ok, then"
Quote by Satch_Boogie
"Some guy" is gonna be unempoyed very soon

"Some Guy! To my office, NOW!"

Nah, they all know me at the music store. They know me at every music store. My picture's on a special poster labeled "Don't serve this kid".

Ok, not rly. But that's how I feel every time. I feel like such a n00b in a music store.
^^^ that's what people do in music shops, belittle people. Imagine UG regulars but with ACTUAL power to remove you from their shop or embarass you in the real world.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
^^^ that's what people do in music shops, belittle people. Imagine UG regulars but with ACTUAL power to remove you from their shop or embarass you in the real world.

It's just that I'm a bit worried playing in public, and I mess up, plus on an unfamiliar guitar and with a a crappy amp if they won't trust me with a good one...

No fun.

Sometimes I spend ages tweaking. I'm sure I really annoy the staff, but I've got to try it before buying!
8% of people who walk into music stores intend to actually buy equipment that they try. The other 92% have moved on to rap music and are just taking the piss. Copy this into your sig if you're one of the 8% who still intend to purchase something you try out at a music shop.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
If im buying, I usually already no what im buying.

If im browsing, straight to the PRS's!
hehehe my local soundcontrol like me :P but they wont let me play anything over £1k unless im with my mum but yea like is say i can try out most guitars through any amp
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
No most people go to check out the guitar and a few days later they'll go to a bigger music shop and do the same
HEY LOOK FREE BEER DUDES

NUMBAH 1 MEMBER OF BEAVIS AND BUTTHEAD OWN CLUB Pm me to join

Member of the "I Hope MCR Are In a Plane Crash and There Are No Survivors" Club
PM sunnysayshi To Join

UG Profile
Quote by bodomfan666
hehehe my local soundcontrol like me :P but they wont let me play anything over £1k unless im with my mum but yea like is say i can try out most guitars through any amp

I didn't know there was more than one sound control....? I don't like that place much, tis too big and impersonal, plus they dont stock jacksons whereabouts in brizzle du live?
most people are proabaly just going over their options... playing several differant guitars at differant stores before they make the decision. btw, how does one go about getting a job at a guitar store?? that would kick ass
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
If I'm going to buy a fx pedal I have to try it with a guitar that has the same pick ups as mine(black gibson sg with emg pick ups) .Lucky me I have emgs thats why I have to try the zakk wylde guitars or Alexi laiho guitars.
Gear
Gibson SG Standard with Emg Pick-ups
Marshall MG50DFX
Digitech Death Metal

I am the Eggman
i usually buy something when i go to GC
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks