Hello all. I have been playing acoustic guitar for a few mths. I want to buy an electric guitar, but am not able to decide which one i shd get. My teacher says get an MIA fender strat, which costs 2.2k sgd, but that means i stick with this acoustic and save up. And for a teenager it seems alot to spend on an axe.

I have been thinking if i should get a squier fat strat californian series OR an Ibanez sa120 (any other recommendations?) and then play with it. At the same time, i can realise my style and likings which will enable me to be more clear in deciding which guitar to buy when i plan to upgrade in the future.

I like to play rock and stuff like iron maiden and metallica, nothing heavier pls. but at the same time not-so-heavy stuff too, like Y.J. Malmsteen, punk rock, progressive, and will like to have some flexibility to play other stuff if possible.

So any suggestions which way i shd take? buy cheaper guitar and then upgrade or buy high end guitar straightaway? Any specific models to try out?

Thanks for replies
MIA Strat? Tell your teacher to stfu.

An MIM strat should do it, maybe HSS configuration for the heavier stuff like Metallica, and Maiden.
^...what. If you're going to get a bc rich...get the NJ series.

Anyway, MIA strat would be too much. As casuality said, the MIM strat would be fine for you.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
TBH, I think you should start off low end. So that way n a few months after buying a MIA strat you dont sit there and things "Urgh, I wanna play violin instead" and throw your guitar in the back of the closet, never to be seen again.
Also, remember amp is most important for your sound. I reccomend you get a decent valve amp now (If you can afford it.) so in the future, if you are sure you wanna stick to it; it's easier.

If you aren't too sure on what you want to play just yet have a look into these.

Guitars
Squier '51
Yamaha Pacifca 112
Ibanez RG321
Epiphone SG400
Squier Jagstang

Amp
valve amps
Fender Blues JR.
Laney VC 15/30
Laney LC 15R/30
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Valveking
Randall RG50TC
Marshal DSL401

If you can't afford valve just yet...
Vox AD30VT
Roland Cube 30
Last edited by beckyjc at Feb 18, 2007,
get an ibanez RG321 and a roland cube 30. sounds perfect for you.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by lespaulcaster
Can i get Avenged sevenfold-ish tones with any of the guitars u mentioned?

You are most likely going to want a guitar with humbuckers.

What is your total budget?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
All the ones I mentioned do have buckers, well at least one.
You're not going to get there exact tone without there gear. Which is probably some line up of £1000 amps and guitars.
Quote by lespaulcaster
cant play that kind of rock with a fender strat? The sound will be too thin?

You *could* conceivably (with the right amps, pedals, whatever), but humbuckers are far more suited to what you want to play.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by tubab0y
get an ibanez RG321 and a roland cube 30. sounds perfect for you.

gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
i think im getting a HSS squier strat californian series. Any idea wats the diff between californian series and Standard series?

At the same time im looking for a guitar/effect that can help me get the tone of guitar in Avenged Sevenfold - Bat Country.

i wud then invest in a decent amp, but now i dun noe wat amp to buy. i din do much homework on what amps to buy.

Thanks alot for replies.