What scales/chords are good for writing sad/depressing songs?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
scales/chords-anyone+A LOT OF inspiration+a heart-breaking solo+quality sad lyrics=sad/depressing song
so....minors huh? I'll try it...
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
well it is easily possible to write a sad song with just major chords. dissonant chords, chords with an extra one or 2 notres to throw the listener off a bit can be effective.
use minor intervals in the melody as well.
i need to get a better signature.
Melodic minor and minor are the simple ones, but as Matt said, you can write a VERY sad song without using any minor scales or chords.

One thing you do need, however, is sustained notes.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
One thing you do need, however, is sustained notes.

No you don't. Steve Vai's I know You're Here is basically shredding in the Lydian mode, and it's incredibly sad.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
No you don't. Steve Vai's I know You're Here is basically shredding in the Lydian mode, and it's incredibly sad.

There are always exceptions.

Vai's For The Love Of God is incredibly sad, and despite there being some pretty fast playing in it, the main melodies are quite sustained.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by duncang
There are always exceptions.

Vai's For The Love Of God is incredibly sad, and despite there being some pretty fast playing in it, the main melodies are quite sustained.

Then don't tell him there are rules he has to follow.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
i was about to jump on minor chords and scales as well but a well placed major sus chord can have a beautiful effect on it, making it sad but in a meloncholic nostalgic way, try playing d looking like this

e--2--------------2
B--2--strum-----1
G--2--through--2
D--0--------------0

a little arpegiation on those chords together sounds awsome and throw in the minor of the same note at the end
A Lot of the sad songs on Pink Floyds The Wall are played in major chords which makes them beutiful but sad at the same time examples are "goodbye blue sky" and "mother"
If you're going to use major chords, throw in the occasional minor or sustained.
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Minor
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Ive always found Harmonic Minor to be the saddest scale in my opinion.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??