My dad said he would get me a new guitar.

Either a Gibson Les Paul Classic.
Or a Fender American Stratocaster.

I cant seem to choose one!
Both guitars are kickass!!

I really need your guys opinions on the guitars. And tell me which one I should get.

Please help me out man!!
can you please specify music types you want to play? i can't give you advice based on just saying two guitars b/c each have their strengths and weaknesses in some areas
def. the les paul if it is the les paul classic then its a much better quality guitar, if you sit down and play the two you'll see the gibson is a lot better,
however it realy comes down to what you like best so you should try out the two and see whitch one fits you better,
choose the one the one that fits you like a glove
Quote by americnidiot
can you please specify music types you want to play? i can't give you advice based on just saying two guitars b/c each have their strengths and weaknesses in some areas

Oh yeah. Sorry.

Im all Classic Rock, Psychedelic, and just hard rock.

Both guitars cost around $2000.
in that case, get the les paul, but try and play it first to make sure its right for you
Quote by Orrinmamedov
def. the les paul if it is the les paul classic then its a much better quality guitar, if you sit down and play the two you'll see the gibson is a lot better,
however it realy comes down to what you like best so you should try out the two and see whitch one fits you better,
choose the one the one that fits you like a glove

Its hard to choose. Since I look up to my heros. I sometimes copy what they are playing.
For example.
Jimmy Page on Les Paul.
And Hendrix on Strat.
Both kickass on those guitars!

I would get both, but i can only choose one.

ANd i dont know which is better by playing, both sound good to me.
Quote by Syd Barret..
Its hard to choose. Since I look up to my heros. I sometimes copy what they are playing.
For example.
Jimmy Page on Les Paul.
And Hendrix on Strat.
Both kickass on those guitars!

I would get both, but i can only choose one.

ANd i dont know which is better by playing, both sound good to me.

refer to my above post, but you can still play hendrix pretty well on a les paul.... i do an it sounds good, its more amp effects too, but i think the les paul is a better fit for the overall style of playing you have
Quote by shuriken
fenders suck. take the gibson

Fenders suck?

Be more specific? Give me some details about Fender.
Quote by americnidiot
refer to my above post, but you can still play hendrix pretty well on a les paul.... i do an it sounds good, its more amp effects too, but i think the les paul is a better fit for the overall style of playing you have

Hmm. Ya. I guess your right. Im gonna have to really think about this.

Although, the only problem is that LP have a big neck. Strats got smaller.
look into other brands, for 1000 bucks you can get a better guitar than either of those from a smaller company. Go to ur local shop. play everything you think you might like, and buy the best one
Quote by unfathomable_bo
As far as users go, lisagabe is sub par at best

my gear:

Ibanez SA260, EMG pups, Original Floyd, and Schaller locking tuners tuners

5150 III 4x12 Cab

LOOKING FOR NEW TUBE HEAD!!!!
P.M. If your selling one!!!
Play them and play them and play them and play them, then choose.

They're completely different. I've played lots of both guitars, I prefer the Classic LPs in terms of what sounds I'm wanting, but the Strat's a lot cheaper.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by Syd Barret..
Oh yeah. Sorry.

Im all Classic Rock, and just hard rock.

Both guitars cost around $2000.

You must have a really nice dad, or your really into playing and you've been playing for like 8 years, anyway. I would go with the strat.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Get a les paul, get the burstbuckers, Rewire them to a pushpull knob. ...why will he only let you choose between those two guitars? for 2000 you could get a carvin that is far better than any strat or paul
I'm hungry.
Quote by ericgentz
You must have a really nice dad, or your really into playing and you've been playing for like 8 years, anyway. I would go with the strat.

Lol, I got striaght A's for my semester. I made a deal with him in the beginning of the school. If i got all A's. A new guitar. So i worked my ass off. And i finally got what i deserve.
Quote by Syd Barret..
Lol, I got striaght A's for my semester. I made a deal with him in the beginning of the school. If i got all A's. A new guitar. So i worked my ass off. And i finally got what i deserve.

Nice, I am doing the same thing but with a Marshall JCM 2000, anyway, I would go with the strat, I played a classic gibson, jesus it was heavy, but the sound was good, I just found the tone of the strat better for my type of music, which happens to be identical to yours.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Quote by Syd Barret..

hmm with me it goes something like this : straight A's= i get to live to see tomorrow.
of course im kidding/exaggerating, but seriously i'd love to have as generous parents as yours! adopt me...
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
of those 2 the fender
Gear:
Hagstrom Viking cherry
Crate B15 bass amp
Squier SQ MB-5 5-String Bass
Epi Valve Junior head
Russian Muff
FAB Chorus

I HAVE THE RED PUBIS
the 999.99 les paul studio last month is now 1199.99 so some people made a good deal buying one
Quote by A7XRemenissions
hmm with me it goes something like this : straight A's= i get to live to see tomorrow.
of course im kidding/exaggerating, but seriously i'd love to have as generous parents as yours! adopt me...

Straight A's for me = good college, good college = good job. Reason enough for me.

Anyways, I'd really recommend that you don't get either. For that amount of money, you can get a MUCH better lesser known brand guitar that will blow those two out of the water. I STRONGLY suggest Carvin.

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=DC400W
Very strong reviews, http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Carvin/DC400W/10/1

Look at other Carvin reviews on there.

And: http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=CT6M

For less than $2000, you can get amazing Carvins with custom specs. I see no reason why you would not look into it, especially with a return policy such as there's. Come on, you know you want one.
I have nothing to put in here.
fender Ftfw!!!!!!!!!???!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Guitars:
Schecter Hellraiser Tempest Left Handed
Yamaha FG720SL Acoustic
Amp(s):
Fender Blues Junior (needs new tubes )
Guitar Rig 4, if that counts
jimmy page recorded with fenders... but played live with gibsons....

hendrix mainly used his strat

for pschadelic,blues, classic rock, and any music besides metal... the fender is king
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by AznElliot518
Based on the brand, Id get the Fender

Moron.

I'd say what any reasonable person would tell you. Play them first, then decide. Though, I'd go for the LP.
I'd have to agree with Carvin comments you can get one custom made to your specs and honestly nothing beats a custom mad guitar which was made for YOU
I personally would choose the Strat. I too look up to my role models, two of the biggest happen to be Jimi Hendrix and Eric Clapton. Either guitar would suit you well for your sound, though. I just find a Strat's neck easier to manuvuer (sp?) than a Paul's. But hey man, either guitar IS kickass. Just have fun with it.
I'm a fan of the gibson les paul classic, they're lovely, very nice guitars. I haven't gotten a chance to play around with a strat though...makes me sort of sad. But anyway, I say go to a store and check it out--

they're 2 well made guitars, you just have to find the one that suites you the best!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I'd get the strat, but it really depends on the cost, if you can get the LP for the same price as the strat go ahead and get the LP.
An escalator can never break, it can only become temporarily stairs.
alright bro listen we cant choose for you, i mean we can tell u our prefrences. and thas it we just tell u what WE prefer. over the two, personaly, i would go for the les paul and not the fender.

1. the les paul has humbuckers, the strat has pickups, u get more noise with the pickups.

2. the sound on les pauls i find are better than on a strat. but thats just me

like some of us have said before u need to go and play both and choose which one suits u better.
ibanez rg 550
epiphone standard lp
martin dcx1e
custom tube amp
boss ds 1
dunlop cry baby wah
boss mt 2
boss tu2

Member #3 of the Ibanez RG Owners of the World club. PM user rockownsyou to join
ooo waaa waaa daddy will buy me a thousand guitar watever will i do????
For what you want to play, the Fender would be the right choice.
"I can play pretty fast on an instrument and I can do some pretty dazzling things if I want, but that only goes so far. You know, that's only going to interest people to a certain degree, it only has a certain stimulation." ~Steve Vai~
Last edited by myMesa8mybrain at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by lisagabe
look into other brands, for 1000 bucks you can get a better guitar than either of those from a smaller company. Go to ur local shop. play everything you think you might like, and buy the best one

True.