I was reading the beginners theory lesson and I don't understand how to use it. Could someone plz explain better.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
I cant say ive heard the term Co5. Can u quote the section of the lesson where it came up?
I believe he's referring to the circle of fifths.

I have never used it, so I'm not much help, but I believe the way it works is that every adjacent scale in the circle has one more/less sharp/flat than the ones next to it. C is at the top, with zero sharps/flats, with C#/Db being at the other end, with the most sharps/flats.

If I'm not mistaken, that is.
the key of a song is determined by how many sharps or flats are in the key signature. the key of C has 0 sharps or flats. counting up a fifth from C - C(1) D(2) E(3) F(4) G(5) - brings us to G. Being a fifth away we add a sharp, so the key of G has 1 sharp. if we count up a fifth from G we'll find the key that has 2 sharps. so - G(1) A(2) B(3) C(4) D(5) - The key of D has 2 sharps. this process continues all the way to 7 seven sharps (the most possible). so just like moving clockwise will add a sharp to each key, moving counter clockwise will add 1 flat. since F is directly left of C, it has 1 flat. because Bb is directly left of F it has 2 flats and so on. it's basically a shortcut method to finding the key of a song.
Quote by tubadude
i lost my virginity before my dad.

Click
the circle of fifths is mostly used for determining keys of songs and their relative minors

you can however use it for building chord progressions

but thats a little more complex than beginner theory
The Circle of Fifths

This is a device used to determine the notes of each key in the major scale. Here is a lovely picture of it. Take it, hold it, and love it.

Now, as you can see, C is up at the top and is in the middle. That is because it has no sharps or flats. As you move clockwise, you will move into the sharp keys. As you move left, you will run through the flat keys. By sharp and flat keys, I mean that is how you would write the scales.

C major: C D E F G A B
G major: G A B C D E F#
D major: D E F# G A B C#
A major: A B C# D E F# G#
E major: E F# G# A B C# D#
B major: B C# D# E F# G# A#
F# major: F# G# A# B C# D# E#
C# major: C# D# E# F# G# A# B#

I've bolded every new sharp written in each key, progressing clockwise through the circle of fifihs. As you can see, the sharps are added in this order:

F C G D A E B

This can be remembered with the acronym:

Father
Charles
Goes
Down
And
Ends
Battle

This is where the sharp keys end.

Now for the flat keys, going counter-clockwise.

F major: F G A Bb C D E
Bb major: Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb major: Eb F G A Bb C D Eb
Ab major: Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Db major: Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C
Gb major: Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb Fb
Cb major: Cb Db Eb Fb Gb Ab Bb

I've bolded the new flats this time. the order is reverse of the order that you add sharps, B E A D G C F. Which can be remembered with the acronym:

Battle
Ends
And
Down
Goes
Charles'
Father

I know this is hard to take in at first, but give it time and don't rush into it. It'll come. It's like a language. The more you use it, the easier it'll come eventually.

Hope this helps a bit?
Last edited by kirbyrocknroll at Feb 19, 2007,
Hey kirby, the example you gave for D major,is it supposed to have a C# in it to?
epic7734
I always thought of it as the circle of 4ths, with the flat keys on the right and the sharp ones on the left...
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
Quote by Mikeoman
I always thought of it as the circle of 4ths, with the flat keys on the right and the sharp ones on the left...

it's either called the circle of perfect fifths or perfect fourths, so youre right also. when you move clockwise on the circle of fifths, each position is a fifth from the last. when you move counter clockwise, each position is a fourth from the last.
Last edited by shizzybrane at Feb 19, 2007,
Quote by epic7734
Hey kirby, the example you gave for D major,is it supposed to have a C# in it to?

Thanks, man. I forgot the "#".
could he possibly be talking about C diminished? i dont know where the 5 is coming from, but maybe the o is suppose to be the diminished sign
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Quote by EZLN libertad
could he possibly be talking about C diminished? i dont know where the 5 is coming from, but maybe the o is suppose to be the diminished sign

Co5=Circle of Fifths
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Thanks, man. I forgot the "#".

Lol, See that should tell you how good of a job you did explaining it for us. Even i was able to understand it.

Your explanation really helped me out i appreciated it kirby.
epic7734
Quote by kirbyrocknroll

F C G D A E B

This can be remembered with the acronym:

Father
Charles
Goes
Down
And
Ends
Battle

seriously.. the best acronym for this is:

Fat
Country
Girls
Dance
And
Eat
Butter!!!

haha my theory teach taught the class that
Quote by hippie_cune
seriously.. the best acronym for this is:

Fat
Country
Girls
Dance
And
Eat
Butter!!!

haha my theory teach taught the class that

But that doesn't work backwards like the Father Charles one does, that's where the genius lies.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.