Why does the 12 fret have 2 dots?
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Because it's the octLawLve.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
the 12th fret is very important because its one octave higher than the "0th" fret (ie: playing a string open), so it helps you see which notes on the fretboard are 1 octave higher than other notes on the fretboard
Quote by mr.happyman
so she took off my pants and was gonna give me dome (head). fukk yeah, free dome (head) (i'm used to hiring prostitutes).as she inched her head closer to my pen0r, she pulled her hand outta nowhere and sandpapered my mini mr.happyman!
because the twelveth fret is like a michael jackson on steroids. it's out there to make love to little kids with his testosterone driven libido.

nah...marks another octave.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
the note played on each fret after it will be exactly 1 octave above the fret 12 frets below it (if you could understand that)

it means second octave, so to speak
I think this thread needs another person to say "octave" - so I'm gonna say it too.

It's the octave of the open strings .

If you look at a piano, play one note and go up 12 keys and you're at the same note an octave higher.

Whee.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
because the people who made the guitar put 2 dots there.

ya listen to the people above me
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
that fret is exactly halfway down the string. anywhere else is either on one half or the other half. Also, because the octave commands they be there.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
^ 21 frets and 22 frets is all I have to say to your falf way marker comment. As pretty much everyone has said, it's an octave above the open string, or in lame-mans terms, it's the same note as the string name, but higher lol.
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Quote by thehardwayout
Why does the 12 fret have 2 dots?

why is the earth round?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
one time a long time ago in the ages of one dot on the 12th fret.. there was a man by the name of rick james and bestowed upon his worshippers "Let there be 2 dots on the 12th fret!" and so the legacy began...

ah shit man don't listen to me. these guys actually know what the **** they are talking about so i agree with them
Jackson Ke3 Kelly
Dean Exotica Acoustic
Gibson SG
Line 6 Spider II
Digitech Death Metal
Dunlop Cry-Baby From Hell

Soon to have a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
its actually called the "pussy marker". I'f youre playing to right left of it (or right of it if you're a lefty), you're a pussy.
I'm back, you douchebags.
It marks the octave.
Then the 24th fret should have 4 dots, man..

It also, more importantly, marks the middle of the neck.
well supposedly... if you stare at the spot directly between them long enough... oh **** it... its the goddamn octave
Blag is God... Dwarves Army #1
PM to join...

#126 Member of the "Linkin Park Sucks" club. PM Whstripesrox to join.

#1 hater of the "Led Zeppelin Sucks" Club.
See, Liek, Herman Li never goes below the too dots, but youll see that ****ing pussy paul micartny playing in front of the dots all the time. wuss.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Quote by onemanarmy9
^ 21 frets and 22 frets is all I have to say to your falf way marker comment. As pretty much everyone has said, it's an octave above the open string, or in lame-mans terms, it's the same note as the string name, but higher lol.

No. He was actually right. The neck of a guitar with 22 frets just goes down the body further. The 12th fret is always in the middle.

And to the threadstarter:

Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave. Octave.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
because if you are a n00b like me it indicates the start of where you can solo cause i usually sound crap if i solo before the 12th fret but it sounds repetitive only using the last 10 frets lol.

god i need to get better at soloing
but nah it indicates start of 2nd octave as basically every single person has said
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
to signify it's the an octave, the octave of a string for that matter. Just like the 24th fret, is another octave
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
If you play mostly above the two dots you are a lead guitarist and get first pick of the hot chicks.
If you play mostly below the two dots you are a rhythm guitarist and just above the bassist in the pecking order.
Main Gear:
Ibanez RG550EX
Ibanez S470
Epiphone SG CS Ltd Ed 1966 Reissue
Cort M200/WS
Richwood RS17CCE acoustic
Hayden Mofo
Harley Benton 2x12 Celestion V30

My Band - Haemasmtha
least i get hot chicks
it worked on saturday actually. absolutly wasted out with loads of ppl this 1 really hot blond lass comes up to me and goes so how do u no james (drummer in my band) and i sed im the guitarist in his band, and she sed really? i said yeh and she sed i love guitarists and started getting with me i was like yeh man
Gear:

Gibson lpj
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Epiphone Les Paul 1960's Tribute Plus
Schecter s-1
Marshall JCM900 100WATT HEAD
Fender mustang 1
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Distortion
Tanglewood exotic electro acoustic
Westfield Bass
Quote by Dr. B
If you play mostly above the two dots you are a lead guitarist and get first pick of the hot chicks.
If you play mostly below the two dots you are a rhythm guitarist and just above the bassist in the pecking order.

That's why you should sing when you're the rhythm guitarist. You get 3 girls for everyone 1 that the others get.

...and to be on topic...

OCTAVE.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
That's why you should sing when you're the rhythm guitarist. You get 3 girls for everyone 1 that the others get.

...and to be on topic...

OCTAVE.

No, that's why you should be lead, rhythm AND sing. That way, nobody else will get any girls :P

Octave.
Ibanez RG1570 w/ Bareknuckle Pickups
Ibanez RG655
PRS SE Fredrik Åkesson Singlecut
Blackstar HT-5
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
BOSS TU-2
MXR M-108
Digitech Bad Monkey
Okay, everyone is saying octave, but why does my Hohner LW-1200N 12 string have two dots at the 7th fret? Why also does my Yamaha FG-150 acoustic have 2 dots at the 7th fret (this doesn't have a dot at the third)?
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
To confuse you.
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by Calum_Barrow
Okay, everyone is saying octave, but why does my Hohner LW-1200N 12 string have two dots at the 7th fret? Why also does my Yamaha FG-150 acoustic have 2 dots at the 7th fret (this doesn't have a dot at the third)?

Because the 7th fret is half of the half of the string length (1/4th). I'ts halfway between the nut and the 12th fret (don't say it isn't cuz it is, don't go by counting frets cuz they're all different sizes).
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Because the 7th fret is half of the half of the string length (1/4th). I'ts halfway between the nut and the 12th fret (don't say it isn't cuz it is, don't go by counting frets cuz they're all different sizes).
I thought that was the 5th fret, what with the frets nearer the nut being bigger, and the natural harmonic is there is two octaves up, so it'd be a quarter of the scale length.
"The 2 dots on the twelfth fret is not just a simple octave marker, it dates back to the ancient Celts on the advent of the 12th century, when the culture had developed gradually and continuously.In Ireland little archaeological evidence was found for large intrusive groups of Celtic immigrants, suggesting to historians such as Colin Renfrew that the native late Bronze Age inhabitants gradually absorbed European Celtic influences and language. The very few continental La Tène culture style objects which had been found in Ireland could have been imports, the possessions of a few rich immigrants, or the result of selectively absorbing cultural influences from outside elites, further supporting this theory of cultural exchange rather than migration.[citation needed]Julius Caesar wrote of people in Britain who came from Belgium (the Belgae), but archaeological evidence which was interpreted in the 1930s as confirming this was contradicted by later interpretations.[citation needed] The archaeological evidence is of substantial cultural continuity through the first millennium BCE, although with a significant overlay of selectively-adopted elements of La Tène culture. There is numismatic and other evidence of continental-style states appearing in southern England close to the end of the period possibly reflecting in part immigration by élites from various Gallic states such as those of the Belgae. However, this immigration would be far too late to account for the origins of Insular Celtic languages. In the 1970s the continuity model was taken to an extreme, popularised by Colin Burgess in his book The Age of Stonehenge which theorised that Celtic culture in Great Britain "emerged" rather than resulted from invasion and that the Celts were not invading aliens, but the descendants of the people of Stonehenge. The existence of Celtic language elsewhere in Europe, however, and the dating of the Proto-Celtic culture and language to the Bronze Age, makes the most extreme claims of continuity impossible."