ive herd that cutting the cone in the amp makes for good distortion? if so is there a good way to cut it? any specific patterns? where should i cut? how big? should i even do this? where am i?
(signature removed, please choose another)
it doesnt. it's just what they used to do when they had fewer distortion choices.

it will ruin the speaeker, but in the end it's up to u.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by burn the stars
you desirve to be hit by a train if you do that

tell that to the Kinks
Quote by Slash Jr.
Forgive me for asking this but what is a dirty sanchez??

Quote by Teh_Guitarer
bahahahahahahahaha nice find ForbiddenDonut. you're my man...
Bad idea, they used to do that before fuzz boxes were invented, it just involves sticking something sharp into the cone, it means that your amp won't play clean anymore plus it's pointless now that there are som many distortion pedals on the market
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
yeah cause im sure they recorded with a ripped, most likely sub-par, practice amp speaker.

no way, they used pro stuff. :/

*for the other post. ^
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

well i have an MG 30 watt so i really cant lose and ive herd it dose make a differance
nope. it'll just ruin the speaker. buy a cheap dist pedal and play the mg on clean.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Quote by player o slayer
well i have an MG 30 watt so i really cant lose and ive herd it dose make a differance

Still i wouldn't reccomend it but i guess if you really don't care about the amp you could do it.....
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
i have a peavey half stack just so you know i just want a better practice amp for free you knoe
Quote by player o slayer
i have a peavey half stack just so you know i just want a better practice amp for free you knoe

well i doubt it will make your MG any better but it will give you some pretty brutal distortion....let us know how it goes if you decide to do it
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
yea i think i might tonight so yea. pray for me. shouyld i use the clean, my death metal pedal or the dist setting?
Quote by player o slayer
yea i think i might tonight so yea. pray for me. shouyld i use the clean, my death metal pedal or the dist setting?

well basically when you do this, your clean channel will become a brutally distorted channel and god only knows what a distortion setting or pedal would do!!!!
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by player o slayer

There is absolutely NO point in stabbing your speaker cone to shreds anymore. They have every kind of distortion under the sun for every application. Stabbing your speaker cone will just make it sound like a mess.

You say blahblah its only an MG blahblah. Well, if you stab the shit out of your MG you wont get a single cent for it. You might as well just throw it away at that point.

To get a better practice tone out of the MG use the clean channel with no effects and a distortion pedal.
haha the second channel will be mud.

but with an ok dist pedal on an MG clean setting, ull get a usable tone.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Once you poke it, the speaker will be destroyed for life until you buy a new speaker or get lots of tape, which I doubt it will work.

I haven't heard a clip of it though..

I'd bet poking the MG speakers will produce a better distortion than it's innate one.
You end up with a sound that's a lot like, well, a broken speaker really. If you listen to The Kinks cover of Van Halen's "You Really Got Me" ( ) you'll hear the guitar is really ragged and kind of farty sounding. It works ok on that song, but i'll guarantee you they wouldn't have done it if there'd been anything better to hand - they weren't looking to produce some unique sound, they just wanted any kind of distortion. Also, it'd be shite for the kind of stuff you want to play - you'll lose what little definition you're getting from the MG currently, it won't be BR00t4Lzzz!!!! , it'll be flabby and papery.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 19, 2007,
ok. i have like 3 amps though and i may be getting another so i dont give a shit if i blow this or not. so w/e
Quote by steven seagull
The Kinks cover of Van Halen's "You Really Got Me"

Actually, The Kinks wrote it; Van Halen covered it in 1978.
did you not notice the ( )?

cutting your cone will not get you a brutal tone. it sounds floppy, muddy and like the kinks
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.