Page 1 of 2
What is a good guitar for the styles in the title, something under like 600 maybe a little over. But the lower the better beacuse if its low enough i can get it the same time i get my amp if not i have to wait till chrismas
$399 hss standard strat
$230 roland cube 30 or vox ad30vt
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
no i already know what amp im getting im asking what guitar that costs less than 600 not including the amp
well i stand by the mexican strat or tele (better tones but most think not as asthetically pleasing)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

i mean Dollars. and what do you think if the EPI SG special, its really cheap which is what worrys me but i wanted to seewhat you guys say

edit: or a Epi G-400 Sg?
Last edited by xsv434 at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by xsv434
lol

What? You don't want to be a guinea pig for me?
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
i actually have an sg special... its a bit difficult to play standing up but id say its decent... the neck (or rythmn pickup) is the best tone wise... but if i had the choice i would go for the strat or tele... what amp are you getting?(this is important)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Fender G-DEC and i've had people tell me not to get it but i dont care. I've read good reviews on it and it has alot of cool features i cant find on other amps in that price range
Last edited by xsv434 at Feb 18, 2007,
ok the gdec is not bad per se... but the fender blues junior would be better (combined with a ds-1, or other distortion pedal)

they cost the same and the blues junior is a tube amp... this means that its has the better tones than solid states like the gdec...and it sounds especially good when cranked (unlike solid states which sound best when quieter)

a strat and a blues junior is the sex... im not alone on this view

oh and effects on amps dont generally sound as good as pedals (though i will admit pedals are more expensive...)

and finally though the blues junior is only fifteen watts, tube amps are generally twice as loud than solid states of the same wattage... so in the end you do get about 30 watts...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Last edited by latinosuperstud at Feb 18, 2007,
ehh ill stick with the gdec i like the fact you can record and stuff on it.
ok man... its your choice it is a nifty amp, im just telling you for future reference that tube amps are usually more desirable....though if your just starting out that should be a great amp...

and yeah the sg isnt bad but i do prefer the fender

hope ive helped somewhat
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

for that price you can get a Gibson SG.

Personally I have a standard fat strat. The stock fender humbuckers are lacking. I'm going to replace mine when I get the cash.

Anything with humbuckers or p-90/p-100's (with the exeption of a tele) would do though.

Thanks to Billie Joes sig lp jr regular lp jrs prices shot through the roof. Although the epi lp jr is only $100. You could get one of those, drop in a p-100, replace some hardware, and try to forget about the headstock and whatever the body is made of
^i wouldnt recomend them... they arent that great... whatsoever
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

Go with an Epiphone LP standard I know alot of punk bands use them, (Hawthorne Heights is one of them and they fall into this category I think) yeah it seems like a logical choice.
yep i know tube amps were better before i even started looking for a new amp but the gdec has alot of cool features. So hows this sound: Epi G-400 SG with the GDEC amp. is there anything else i should get with it
to be honest i think lp necks are some of the most awkward to play with....and fender necks are thinner... and as fenders get older they look more beautiful... les pauls dont tend to look great when they are beaten to death

edit that setup isnt bad you might want to eventually replace the pick ups... and keep in mind that sgs are topheavy so its a big change to go from playing sitting down to playing standing up

edit #2: its important that you try everything out yourself... i been dying for a fender (as you can tell) because before that i thought i was an epi man, and lately ive found that fenders are better for chording and just playing in general...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

k ill keep that in mind. Should i get any kind of pedals or anything?
theres a bit of effects on that amp already....you should probably be set for now...

sorry if i come off as annoying, im just trying to help
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

lol why would you be annoying, right now your like the first person i want to hear from. Arnt there pedals to change modes and/or turn modes off
like a footswitch? well they probably do sell them...

here it is(if you are getting the thirty watt version)

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-ULT4-4Button-Footswitch-for-GDec-30-and-BDec-30-?sku=420976
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

no problem
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

you never told me what kind of punk by the way...like weezer, blink,greenday,clash, and such

or like the used,mcr,hawthorne and etc
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

uh well i like to play what i listin to(and i know most people hate this and will say its emo): MCR a tiny bit of hawthorne, greenday riseagainst i play alot of blink 182 but i dont listin to it much uhh i used ot be big on Good Charlotte and simple plan but they kinda drifted away
the sg should work then

i do like mcr (not as much as before but they are still ok)
and blink and greenday arent emo... they arent like hardcore metal or anything but they arent emo...
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

i was tlaking about MCR lol if someone called greenday emo i would rip his/her eyes out
ok i just realized on the first post of this page you said lp necks are awkward to play, are sg's awkward to?
Its all personal preference, I find bigger necks much more comfortable than thin ones although a lot of people like thin necks. Gibson's necks are generally on the chunky side but they do have 60's profile necks which are a bit smaller. I haven't played a lot of epi's but I seem to remember them as having thinner necks, for both the les pauls and sg's.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
sgs dont have the same awkward neck joint that lps do... but they are a bit top heavy but eventually you get used to it
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13

Quote by SublimeGuitar

whats the difference between gibson and Epi? Are they like the Dye and proto of paintball? if oyu dont know what that means i mean Dye makes high end guns that run for 1000 or more then proto makes the same exact gun just not as good that sell for like 600-900
You're set on the G-DEC so I'm not even gonna touch that. I wouldn't buy it, but it's your money not mine.

For the guitar, you should go with a mexican fat strat for the tones you want. You'll probably use the pickup in the bridge the most, but have the two single coils is a nice option. You may want to consider buying a normal mexican Fender strat as well. Billie Joe (the guitarist from Green Day) used a strat knock off early in his career, and strats are incredibly versatile guitars.

Basically, I suggest steering away from the Epi SG because I have bad experiences with Epiphone in general and because I feel that the mexican Fenders will suit your needs much better.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Page 1 of 2