Hey all, I'm considering getting an Alexi Laiho ESP having looked at the specs and read a lot of reviews of it; problem is I've never actually heard one (unless.. is it exactly the same as Alexi's actual guitar? ), so if someone knows of a recording on the net I'd be very appreciative!

Also, if you yourself own/have played on an Alexi Laiho ESP and would like to share your opinion on it please do! I really need as much help as possible on this guitar!

Well, thanks guys!

netherspirit
Jackson, Peavey, Line 6 <3
if you play sitting down, dont get one, its a bitch to play, but it doesnt sound all that bad, although id rather go for a jackson rhoads, or another esp above the 400 series, the ex 400 is nice, and yes, ive played a rhoads, alexi600, and ex 400.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
As far as sitting down, I dont know what this bitch is whining about. I find these styles of guitars as easy to play sitting down as any. He must have been holding the guitar upside down or something.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by Dudage
As far as sitting down, I dont know what this bitch is whining about. I find these styles of guitars as easy to play sitting down as any. He must have been holding the guitar upside down or something.

It seems many have never heard of classical position
Wow!! So much feedback already! Thanks ever so much guys!

As for playing sat down - I play both standing and sat, so it doesn't really bother me that much; and I dare say I'll be able to adjust to it.

I've been watching recordings of the guitar on youtube and every recording I've heard has sounded fantastic! The exact sort of sound I'm after!

I think I shall most definitely be buying one... Now to scrape up the money.
Jackson, Peavey, Line 6 <3
it's rediculous that they put a passive emg in such an expensive guitar, i would never buy it!
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
Quote by ExplorerFreak
^ sitting down only takes getting used to.

Also, why did you bring the EX-400 into this?

haha, no clue, its just another nice LTD that i thought id mention to him, since its a nice guitar, which i like better than the alexi, unless he wants a floyd.
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

fender mexican fat strat (discontinued)
mesa triple recto
digitech grunge
digitech death metal
TS, I would say you are making a very wise purchase!! I was tempted to get one myself a while back. I have bad G.A.S.

Gear
Acquisition
Syndrome

It hurts.

EDIT: ABOVE ME IS CORRECT!!

I totally forgot about the RR24. You need to get the RR24. Just wait a little bit but you will not be disappointed. The RR24 is worlds ahead of the Alexi, even though the Alexi is a great guitar.
Last edited by ExplorerFreak at Feb 18, 2007,
if your in europe get an ESP SV, two Emg81's...basically same if not better look and around the same price. gives you more options
Don't get it, it's much to expensive to have 1 shitty pickup. For that price, you should be getting your dream guitar, and not have to change anything out.
Dickless.
yeah, the Alexi is VERY overpriced. especially when it has one of the worst pickups ever.
Quote by ExplorerFreak

It seems many have never heard of classical position

Yeah, I only play in the classical position and I don't play a V.

For some reason it was natural to me, and I hear it is because I lack a main hand or leg.
what's with all the EMG HZ bashing? geez....first it was the DimeBucker and now it's the passive EMG's.
Quote by Eric 666
what's with all the EMG HZ bashing? geez....first it was the DimeBucker and now it's the passive EMG's.

It's not that they're both complete garbage (Much like the guitars they both come in), they're just SEVERELY overpriced.
Dickless.
The HZ is meant for playing live so you dont have such rediculous feedback that you have to turn off the guitar every second, well, at least thats why alexi uses them...but I would get the Jackson, USA Jacksons are just better guitars than ESP's.
get a kxk warrior v. coolest ****ing guitar ever and its a custom. takes about 23 weeks to make but it ****in OWNS!!!
no dude..... get a esp sv...

i got one two months ago...

got two emgs81 in it.... more flexibility.... if your a metalfan the bridge is enough but you'll really get bored with just one pickup.... i love the sv... looks as good as hell and so easy to use
Also, if you yourself own/have played on an Alexi Laiho ESP and would like to share your opinion on it please do! I really need as much help as possible on this guitar!

its great playing standing up and reaching ther high frets is so easy.... especially when playing solos.... the neck is so smooth...

my only problem is the emg... they are too muddy for my taste... of course i love them but i know there are difinately better piuckups than the 81s

esp sv for the win

ESP sv standard
FENDER telecaster
ROCH TECH explorer

MARSHALL jcm2000 tsl100 head
MARSHALL 1936 2x12
boss dd-3

You're really just paying for Alexi's name, you should get a Jackson and save some dough.

2001 Fender MIM Stratocaster
1987 Fender F-210 Acoustic
Partscaster (in progress)

Traynor YCV40
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez AD-9
MXR M-108
EHX Metal Muff
Boss NS-2

WTB:
Boss TU-2 Chromatic Tuner

Follow me on Twitter!
Quote by Mike1109
You're really just paying for Alexi's name, you should get a Jackson and save some dough.

....lols at that noobish statement. try playing the ESP CS Sig Alexi, if you cant the frankly SHUT THE **** UP
Quote by azn_guitarist25
....lols at that noobish statement. try playing the ESP CS Sig Alexi, if you cant the frankly SHUT THE **** UP

And he was the one with the noob statement? Spare me.
The Alexi sig is a nice guitar, but like most sigs, it's too damned overpriced. Really, just look at the specs... You're paying an arm and a leg more for the name than anything else. Look:

ESP SV Standard:
COLOUR : White with Black pinstripe, Black with White pinstripe
BODY : Alder
NECK : Maple
FINGERBOARD : Ebony with White binding
CONSTRUCTION : Thru
SCALE : 25.5"
TUNERS : Deluxe Gotoh
BRIDGE : Original Floyd Rose
HARDWARE COLOUR: Chrome , Gold
FRET : 24 / XJ
NECK PICKUP : EMG81
BRIDGE PICKUP : EMG81
CONTROL : 1 Volume , 3way toggle switch

ESP Alexi sig:
NECK : Hard Maple 3P
FINGERBOARD : Ebony , 24frets
INLAY :Saw tooth Luminous
SCALE : 25.5 inch (648mm)
NUT (width) : Lock Nut (42mm/R2)
JOINT : Neck-thru-body
BRIDGE : Floyd Rose
PICKUPS : EMG HZ-H4
CONTROL : Master Volume
HARDWARE : Gold or Chrome (please specify when ordering, special order may apply)
COLOR : Black with Luminous Pin Stripe

If anything, the SV should be more expensive. However, the Alexi is 4,500$ and the SV is 2200$... Now tell me you're not paying for the name. Or perhaps the extra 2300 comes from the luminous shit they put in it...
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by jmag
And he was the one with the noob statement? Spare me.
The Alexi sig is a nice guitar, but like most sigs, it's too damned overpriced. Really, just look at the specs... You're paying an arm and a leg more for the name than anything else. Look:

ESP SV Standard:
COLOUR : White with Black pinstripe, Black with White pinstripe
NECK : Maple
FINGERBOARD : Ebony with White binding
CONSTRUCTION : Thru
SCALE : 25.5"
TUNERS : Deluxe Gotoh
BRIDGE : Original Floyd Rose
HARDWARE COLOUR: Chrome , Gold
FRET : 24 / XJ
NECK PICKUP : EMG81
BRIDGE PICKUP : EMG81
CONTROL : 1 Volume , 3way toggle switch

ESP Alexi sig:
NECK : Hard Maple 3P
FINGERBOARD : Ebony , 24frets
INLAY :Saw tooth Luminous
SCALE : 25.5 inch (648mm)
NUT (width) : Lock Nut (42mm/R2)
JOINT : Neck-thru-body
BRIDGE : Floyd Rose
PICKUPS : EMG HZ-H4
CONTROL : Master Volume
HARDWARE : Gold or Chrome (please specify when ordering, special order may apply)
COLOR : Black with Luminous Pin Stripe

If anything, the SV should be more expensive. However, the Alexi is 4,500$ and the SV is 2200$... Now tell me you're not paying for the name. Or perhaps the extra 2300 comes from the luminous shit they put in it...

yeah specs and all are great but have you played both back to back
Quote by azn_guitarist25
yeah specs and all are great but have you played both back to back

Playability is taste. Because you liked it better, it doesn't mean it's got to be better.
Quote by primusfan
It wasn't mean, it was Portuguese.

Master Saruwatari of the Pit Samurai Pm theguitarist to join

Membro do clube Português do UG.
Quote by jmag
Playability is taste. Because you liked it better, it doesn't mean it's got to be better.

but just cos a company charges what ever they feel like for a product doesnt make it overpriced, it just makes it a stupid move doesnt it. and btw your prices are pretty ridicoulous, you americans are paying a huge price for it. and jmag you actually played the ESP CS Sig Alexi
As always, most of the commenters here are clueless. Alexi uses an HZ because he has a gain booster in his guitars and the active pups mixed with the boost put out nothing but feedback. And as far as having the HZ in the ones they sell, it's because it's what he uses. IT'S HIS SIG MODEL! If you think overpriced, don't buy it. Personally, I love that guitar. And there is nothing wrong with HZ's. They are just as good as any other passive out there. All of you 15 year olds bash them because you just want to act like you know something. Which apparently you don't. HZ's, just like most EMG's are for aggressive music, not Jazz or country or blues, etc. I have one guitar with an HZH4 and one with Actives and I like both pretty much equally. My Jackson SLSMG with the HZH4 has had the tone pot removed and the tone is very aggressive, just like Alexi's tone is aggressive without the tone pot. My BC Rich NJ Jr V has actives with all of the controls and is, yes, more versatile, but I enjoy playing them both equally and like the tone from both. 90% of the people that post on this board have such a limited knowledge of what they speak of and think just because so and so uses this and so and so said that, they think they are the be all end all of knowledge. Don't bash what you obviously don't know.
Quote by sendmeapick
my only problem is the emg... they are too muddy for my taste... of course i love them but i know there are difinately better piuckups than the 81s

EMG 81 muddy? thats a first

I've heard alexi laiho's tone on the album and live, and frankly im not impressed at all. It sounds too grainy and trebly, and doesnt have enough chunk to it. But then again he doesnt really use a lot of gain. Alexi isnt really happy with his tone either, saying he'll try to improve it on his upcoming albums.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
im really interested in the LTD version for around 900, or even the Edwards version for around 1,100

the passive pups are due to his playing style. With his amp, he actually puts the gain close to 10, but it doesn't sound grainy like most other amps.
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
his lee jackson preamp doesnt have enough gain on its own, so thats why he has a preamp booster on his guitar
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
yes, and if he had active pups, it would completely change his sound, and he could use a booster
mydadisjewish = avatar stealer
Well I haven't heard one, but I know that 24RR is a good guitar with nice pickups... Its funny cause Alexi's orginal V was a Jackson that Jackson was going to make a signature guitar for him, but ESP said they would make them faster...