It's easy enough to learn how the modes are constructed from the major scale, but how did you go about learning the patterns for each mode (if you did it like that at all) so you could play any mode in any key? I already know the modes loosely but was hoping there's a better way than memorising 7 positions for each and every mode.
Quote by Qazxs
I was so glad when my cat got spayed. Everytime I was near her she meowed and bent over wanting me to stick it in her. Really gross.
theres no better way than to pick the way that you think is easiest for you..

i had to learn them for a college class (two actually, music theory and piano proficiency) so i figured it would be easier for my ear to recognize them if i used my guitar.. and when i practiced each mode i would sit there and stare at my book reading its name and numerical pattern, and then id say its name out loud as i played it..

i also had alot of lil drills and tests to hammer that stuff into my head.. so i guess the main thing i learned was that repetition is the key.
they are all exactly the same notes, so all you do is learn the major scale, and start at the note corresponding to the mode and play around that

IE, if i want to play D Dorian, ill just play a C major, but emphasize the D

well its hard to explain, but its basically a pitch axis kind of thing
with shear ****ing will thats how. the only way to do it is to make 7 chord charts with a mode in each chart and like every 3 days work on memorizing the shape for one chart until you have it and then go onto the next chart while making sure you know the previous. rinse. repeat.
You just have to practice. Make a backing track in Cmajor and then jam out to it, try and go up and down the neck.

Then make one in another key, and jam to that.
i found modes easy because i just thought of it as adding notes to the pentatonic scale and the shapes of it.
I knew Ionian was 1. I knew Aeolian was 6. I knew Locrian was 7. I knew Mixolydian came after Lydian. I knew Dorian was 2. I then looked it up and found out Phrygian.

From there, I just look at how it relates to the major scale. I.e. D Aeloian is D Ionian with a flattened 3, 6, and 7. A Dorian is the same as A minor with a natural 6. That's about all really, looked at it like that.