So after finishing my crappy Yamaha into a Southern sweetheart , I'm ready to paint my "nicer" guitar too.
Does anyone know how to do a quilted paint job by hand? I will not have access to an airbrush, just spray paint.
Thanks for your help in advance
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by Ippon
You're braver than I am. My Les Pauls are sexy enough so I haven't imagined re-finishing them.

Check out Project Guitar's 3D finishing on figured woods.

Also, Staining Tips and Tricks.

And finally, StewMac's Spray-Finishing a Guitar.

Good Luck!

You're my hero You've helped me more than anybodyyy else on UG before cause you helped me a ton on my last mod too despite my idiotic questions
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Yeah clicks for Ippon he is cool. He helps out heaps and he says only positive things *Clicks*
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Last edited by lespaulmarshall at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by i(ncubus)play
So after finishing my crappy Yamaha into a Southern sweetheart , I'm ready to paint my "nicer" guitar too.
Does anyone know how to do a quilted paint job by hand? I will not have access to an airbrush, just spray paint.
Thanks for your help in advance

Quited "finishes" you see on guitars are done using figured wood with either clear or translucent finishes sprayed over them. Your going to have a very hard time getting anything close with cans.
Quote by dave293
Quited "finishes" you see on guitars are done using figured wood with either clear or translucent finishes sprayed over them. Your going to have a very hard time getting anything close with cans.

He could always brush a stain on and clear-coat it with cans.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
I'm pretty sure what Dave means, and what I was thinking is..

Does this guitar have a Quilted top? If not then creating that look on normal wood is going to be very difficult. I'd say it could be possible. Just very hard.
Quote by TheDev01dOne
I'm pretty sure what Dave means, and what I was thinking is..

Does this guitar have a Quilted top? If not then creating that look on normal wood is going to be very difficult. I'd say it could be possible. Just very hard.

Oh, you're totally right. I must have misread the first post.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."