Hi everyone, im planning on building a guitar from scratch by myself, and i have a few small questions.

First of all what does re-winding the coils in a pick-up do? I've heard lots of people do it, but would like to know what it does before i go off and attempt it.

Secondly, can the guitar all be one piece, as in neck, body . . . everything? Everyone talks about having different things, but since mahogany has such a nice tone i thought why not just get a big sod off piece of mahogony, do it in one piece, and it's gonna be seriously strong aint it?

Thirdly, if i do put lots of pieces together, like a back species, middle, or whatever, are nails a bad thing? they just seem so simple, but no-one ever mentions them.

Thanks very much everyone
i believe it to be possible for the guitar to be all one piece, but good luck finding a hunk of wood big enough to do so.

it would be awesome though, tons of sustain.

nails = bad.
high quality glue + clamps = good.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Thanks mate. I'll post to let u know how it goes! Thinking about it i've just looked at my guitar and realized how big a job it'd be. I'll see what i can do though.
Quote by CobenBlack
Hi everyone, im planning on building a guitar from scratch by myself, and i have a few small questions.

First of all what does re-winding the coils in a pick-up do? I've heard lots of people do it, but would like to know what it does before i go off and attempt it.

Secondly, can the guitar all be one piece, as in neck, body . . . everything? Everyone talks about having different things, but since mahogany has such a nice tone i thought why not just get a big sod off piece of mahogony, do it in one piece, and it's gonna be seriously strong aint it?

Thirdly, if i do put lots of pieces together, like a back species, middle, or whatever, are nails a bad thing? they just seem so simple, but no-one ever mentions them.

One piece Mahogany guitar = more expencive than neckthrough Mahogany neck + body.

Don't expect your first guitar to be amazing, so don't spent too much.

Oh, and go to http://www.projectguitar.ibforums.com .
Remember, nails are only there to hold the timber in place while the glue dries. So if you can use clamps don't bother with the nails.
You usually only rewind a coil if its broken. Rewinding a coil wil change the sound of the pickup.

You could make a 1 piece guitar if you had a big enough piece of wood.

Nails are unnessasary, glue does a good job as it is, nails will only look ugly.
I have never seen nails used, it would interfere with routing and the like.

Plus, why bother when the glue joint is stronger than the wood itself.
Okay so nails are a no-no. lol, they just seemed easy at the time.

would it not sometimes be advantageous to change the sound? im only asking because i heard thats one of the ways in which brian may got his tone, among others obviously.
Quote by CobenBlack

It sounds like you may want to do a bit more research before beginning this project. There are some practical reasons for building the guitar in components (body, neck, etc) and then assembling them. As mentioned already, there's the availability of materials in that size. Also, it actually complicates things in my mind. If you build the components separately and then mate them, you have the opportunity to adjust them to conform to each other if you have deviations along the way.

What you might consider is a neck through design where the neck goes all the way through the body. You then add wings to complete the body shape.

Also, nails are not the way you want to join pieces of wood. A good wood glue joint is stronger than the wood itself and far more stable.

I recently put together a list of guitar building resources you should find useful. Among the list are books, tutorials, forums and important vendors.

Finally, if you do your homework, there's no reason that your first guitar can't be at least serviceable. My first guitar build plays quite nicely.

Regards,

Rob