I just recently bought a Gibson SG Standard
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gibson_sg_standard_electric_guitar?full_sku=100295612

It was in the store on the floor, and it's black, but the store is ordering a red one for me. They said I could take the black one home and just bring it back when the red one was in. Well, I did, but I have a complain since I started playing it.

The sustain on it seems very low. Especially on the low E string. I played a single G note (bottom 3, 3rd fret) and it lasted only about 4-5 second before it just about completely died out. Could this possibly be factory strings? I'm thinking about changing them but since I'm getting a different one soon, is it worth it? I mean, what else could this be from? I know the sustain can't be THAT low. And it's not as bad on the other strings. (Plus, my amp setting stayed the same and my other guitar lasts way longer)

Also, the string action is a bit to high for my liking and I'd like to change it, but... uh... I'm not exactly sure how, and I heard that you can mess up your guitar if you do it incorrectly. If anyone could give me some details, I'd be thrilled.

Thank you for reading and for your help!
i have an SG love ity to death, and its not even a standard, its a special! i put the 500T pup in it, so it is just as good now, for about 400 bucks less, but anyway... it vould be the strings. the bridge gibson uses on all their guitars, called a tune-o-matic is VERY easy to adjust in the terms of action. you will notice two ridged rings where the bridge meets the guitar. tune down the strings a little bit, adjust them with your fingers, and tune back up. it is IMPOSSIBLE to mess up your guitar, all you can mess up is the action, which you can keep messing with until its right, i.e. low enough to play comfortably but high enough to prevent buzzing against the frets. which brings me to some more questions about your sustain problem. is it buzzing out or just fading out? either way, when your red one comes in, or just use the black one since your giving it back to them anyway, have them preform a setup. this should be free of charge since you are buying the instrument from them, and should only take a whopping 20 minutes. my SG has NEVER ever ever done me wrong. good luck with yours and cheers!
SG
Thunderverb 50
Foot Computers
Beer and snacks
Scenery
Well what is your amp, and what's your old guitar?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I have a Line 6 Spider II amp and my other guitars are a Schecter Diamond Series and a Gibson SG Special. Both of my other guitars have better sustain on the low E string.

See, the thing is, on my new SG Standard, the high strings all sound fine with good sustain, only the low E is messed up (and maybe the A a little, too). The low E sounds super bassy and muddled, and it dies out after a few seconds. And on a clean channel, it barely makes any sound.

Could this be a problem with the factory strings? If not, what else are possible problems?

Thanks!
It's your amp.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
if volume differs then its something wrong with that particular guitar, have it looked at...

i have a special with replaced pickups and a couple adds and its beautiful... i like it much more than a off the rack standard

your new one shouldn't be like this, if it is... dont keep it
The United States is a nation of laws: badly written and randomly enforced.
-Frank Zappa
No, it's not my amp.

Anyways, I guess I'll just wait and see how the new one sound. Does anyone know what this muffled crap might be caused from, though?
I'm just saying it's your amp considering when I played with a spider, the sustain wasn't all that great.

Just saying.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
I'm just saying it's your amp considering when I played with a spider, the sustain wasn't all that great.

Just saying.

I know. >_> But it's not just a "so-so" sustain sound. It's a "muffled-puts-out-after-4-seconds" sustained sound. Which none of my other guitars have. Even on the spider amp.

<_<
Quote by Jinskee

Just saying.

But if its fine and sustains well on his other guitars, then obviously its not his amp.
^Yeah, no hard feelings.

But that sucks, if that's the case, then maybe it wasn't set up properly. SG's aren't supposed to die out that quickly so and Gibson isn't what you would call top quality controll these days, So I suggest you tell the owner of the store to set it up.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Raise the action a bit, lower the pickups a bit.
Make sure your volume pot is on full, check out for any loose wirings.
Check the frets too, or even your neck relief to see if it is twisted.
Trash your amp btw.
yeah i have a spider II nd my ibanezes will sustain forever... so i doubt its the amp... guitar probably just needs a good pro setup.
Blag is God... Dwarves Army #1
PM to join...

#126 Member of the "Linkin Park Sucks" club. PM Whstripesrox to join.

#1 hater of the "Led Zeppelin Sucks" Club.