Alright, so lately I've been playing a lot of World Of Warcraft, right? I noticed that my frames per second weren't too good compared to everyone elses. I see people with like... 70 FPS which completely dwarfs my 17-20 FPS. Keep in mind I have an Nvidia GeForce FX 5500. A decent card, right? (256). Well, today I just bought a gig of ram. So I added that gig to my 512, that leaves me with 1.5 gigs of RAM. Okay, good. That more than meets Blizzards "recommended" specs.

Then why the hell didn't it fix ANYTHING?! Can someone please help me... Honestly. My computer is about 4-5 years old. Someone suggested that I get a new monitor because the one I have now might not be able to handle all that crap on screen. I don't know if that would help or not, I dunno. I really don't want to buy a new computer.

Can anyone help me?

[[ Don't you ever, ever, ever trust my mercy. ]]
Last edited by Ahh Shaith at Feb 18, 2007,
Google Omega drivers and get the latest catalyst driver for your card. That may help; if not for the main problem, it will generally be better. Also, what about your processor? That needs to be good to. Other than that, I'd say to fiddle with the game's graphic settings. You'd think that lowering the resolution would make it faster, but sometimes it helps to go for a higher resolution. You have to find the settings that makes your comp happy. And sometimes games get picky. I dunno much about WoW but you should see how it reacts to stuff like turning V-sync off, putting the shading/shadow/dynamic lighting settings to minimum, and trying different texture settings. If none of that does anything, just get a whole new computer lol.
We're only strays.
I have a Pentium 4 1.80 GHz processor.
Also, I really want to run the game with maxed settings.

your processor is ok, but nowadays you can get them a lot better than that. your internet connection could be part of it. my dell at home is like 2.8 and its not even a gaming computer.
Gear:
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81/85
Ibanez RG350MP
Fender acoustic (Black)

Peavey Vypyr 15
Peavey 6505 212 combo
I really don't want to buy a new computer. :[

Quote by Ahh Shaith

Well sometimes it is just cheaper to buy a whole new computer then keep upgrading an old one. It's like beating a dead horse. I recently built my own computer instead of upgrading the old one, and the total price was quite a bit lower than if I woulda bought name brand.
Yeah? I see... Well, that does sound tempting. (Building my own).

Where did you get all your parts and such?

Quote by Ahh Shaith

You don't have to, just buy a new CPU which is compatible (same socket) as your motherboard.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Newegg.com dude. It's the best site ever. Not to mention their customer support is second to none.
I was just at Newegg.com. Haha, coincidence.

Anyway, how much do new CPU's go for it? And how do I find out if it's compatible with my motherboard?

Quote by Ahh Shaith

Anyway, how much do new CPU's go for it? And how do I find out if it's compatible with my motherboard?

Find your motherboard manual for your current computer and read what socket the processor bay is. Then, search for a higher quality CPU on NewEgg which uses the same socket.

I think you have the system32 virus....

Know what, never mind.......
Quote by SynGates7X

you are indeed mr. awesome.

Quote by Duane_Allman
eckmann88 you sir are a god.

Quote by SavageNights
Oh, you're so damn shallow, eckmann88. They have nice boobs, don't they?

Quote by DraketheFake
good job eckman, seriously, that last one alone would give me an eternal erection!

Help
Space
Alright, thanks. I'll check it out.

Quote by eckmann88
I think you have the system32 virus....

Know what, never mind.......

Yeah, you're right. I should probably delete my system32 folder.

If you don't want to mess with a new computer, I'm going to state the obvious and tell you that a 1.8 GHz processor is nowhere near enough to run a newer game at maxed settings. Also, a newer screen will SLIGHTLY improve fps, but not by much. On the other hand, if you want to get a new computer altogether, I suggest building your own. If you don't know how you can look up on the internet or buy a book to show you how, and it will be much cheaper than a factory one. Or, you could spend the same amount of money as the factory one, and get a 2X-5X better computer.
Quote by Ahh Shaith

Well, to answer your first question it depends on if you're going dual core or not. I got a 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core for $187, and it is a great processor.

As for your second question, the processor needs to match the socket on your motherboard. I can't remember where to find this information though... (w/o the MoBo manual that is...)
Hmm. Dual core, eh? What's the difference?

Dual core can handle more processes at any given moment. Kinda like using the roadway example. A wider road can handle more traffic more efficiently, even if it isn't necessarily faster.
Quote by Ahh Shaith
Hmm. Dual core, eh? What's the difference?

In laments terms... its like having two factory lines making a product(or processing information) than just having one.
Quote by happytimeharry
Dual core can handle more processes at any given moment. Kinda like using the roadway example. A wider road can handle more traffic more efficiently, even if it isn't necessarily faster.

There are so many examples, I couldn't choose which was the best. heh...
I'm guessing Dual Core is probably better if you frequently use multiple applications simultaneously. I heard there's quad-core now. Is that true?

Quote by Smokey Amp
I'm guessing Dual Core is probably better if you frequently use multiple applications simultaneously. I heard there's quad-core now. Is that true?

Yeah, I believe Intel just released a quad core processor. I think it's quite unnecessary though unless it's like for a server or something.

edit: Oh and if you really want a nice gaming system and you eventually have the extra cash, I got one word for you. Crossfire.
Last edited by happytimeharry at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by glm
Smokey you bum, clean out your pm's.

Cleared.