i found some stuff for recording guitar into the computer for effects and amps today, and i downloaded them. these were camel audio and free amp. but they are .dll files. how the hell do i play my guiar through them? im so confused
Sounds like you downloaded the files, but never installed the programs. I'd try to run the .dll to see if any installation things open up.
Where'd you download these from? I can help you better if I know exactly what we're dealing with (plus I'd like to give these programs a try)
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
Dll's don't run.
They're dynamic program libraries. It's like a plugin. You need a program compatible with the dlls that can use the files. There probably was some information on the site you downloaded the files from.
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
no it didnt really give me info on it other then they are plug ins but it didnt say what for
You need a program that support VST plugins, like Audiosuite or Steinbergs Cubase.

Oh, and yes, all the info is in the ZIP, read the info.txt file; all the way down at the bottom.
Quote by info.txt
- How can I install the plugins?
Simply drag all the DLL files into the VstPlugin folder of your host.

The "host" is in this case a program like one of those mentioned above.

http://www.camelaudio.com/vst-plugins.html
Electrics:ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑAmps:
Jackson DKMGFFˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RG100SC G2
Washburn DIME 333ˑˑˑˑˑˑˑRandall RH200X / RA412 2x Half-Stacks
ESP LTD EC-1000 STCB
Dean From Hell CFH
ok i use audacity. i got it to work, but those have interfaces, how do i get the interface like to show me the stomp boxes like it shows on their site?
The plugins you downloaded are used to modify the signal coming from the line-in or microphone port on your audio card. The plugins work the same in audacity, audacity just lacks the visual cues to make the plugin easier to use. You have to edit by numbers instead of point and click-ing.

To 'see' the GUI that comes with the plugin (.dll) you need to have a program that supports it. I use SONAR, and I know that it supports the visuals you are wanting. But Steingberg's CuBase should also have the visuals as that company created the VST standard.

There are many programs out there that will support VSTs. Keep in mind though, you can't just plug your guitar into the line-in of your computer and hit record, the signal has to be amplified. There's a plethora of information on this. Search the UG forums and Google..
-mercalli