Page 1 of 2
Have you ever wondered if, evenually, we would 'run out' of new riff ideas without obiviously taking it from a song or riff already created? Cause if you think about it, there are only a certain amount of frets on the guitar (aprox. 144 - 24 frets, 6 strings) and there are plenty of possible conbinationings with all of them, but how many of those conbinations actually sound good, or are in key? WAY less then half the possible conbinations there are. I mean, what kind of riff starts at the 1 fret low e, then the second note played is 19th-g string, then 4th-b. Well theres one conbination that wouldn't count. I think, probably not for a long time tho, we will come to a point where ANYTHING you create would already be taking from some other song. I mean, its already starting to happen. Have you ever made a little thing up and someone else come up and say, "I think I heard that before" or something? I kno, I get that a lot. A least jsut from this one kid .. he says it about everything i make up .. ****ing douche. It would, i guess, get to the point where, the only you could do is slow or speed up the riff or lick. So now what, no more new songs?

Well, this is just my theory of what will evenually happen. You kno like how people are predicting what would happen when we run out of gas and oil and stuff. How they believe that that will be the true day of the apocalypse, white-tailed deers will take over and a new world will be created .. idk, that what my teacher said is gonna happen ...

So anyway, anyone else agree with my little theory? Anyone DISAGREE? If so, why?? I mean, just think about it ..................
SICfreak
No, you can always change the combination, or add a tone.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Yeah, theres so many different effects, I don't think we ever will.
F.U.B.A.R.
Plato wouldn't think Enter Sandman has a good riff in it.

In another words, we will literally never, ever, ever, run out of riffs. (Plato was a philosphor (can't spell) from many, many years ago. He's been dead for a long time).
What do we tell our children? Look before you leap. Stop and think. Don't judge a book by its cover. We believe that we are always better off gathering as much information as possible and spending as much time as possible in deliberation.
thats scary

are you sure Pharoah??? Maybe Plato would of been into Metallica
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I wrote a kick ass song yesterday, and if someone says they've heard it before, I'll punch them in the throat.
well, if we move into diminished, and augmented keys. which have yet to be thoroughly explored.

we have quite a bit of time left.

under the same logic of your question..

does creative music exist?

every chord, note, progression, variation, arpeggio, scale, has been played before.
but theres still creative music!
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
On Metal: a Headbangers journey I believe it was Mark Morton who said something along these lines "Black Sabbath wrote every great riff that can be used now you can only play it slower faster or add different combinations to it"
Quote by Stop Messin'
Every pic of Jimmy Page taken looking up at him. He looks like a 10 foot tall GOD!
Look at how different music today is from music only 40 years ago though. I mean, the Beatles were obviously a huge and influential band, and they were basically simple chord progressions, whereas now we have crazed sweeping and tapping and 300bpm songs. So I imagine music even 20 years from now will be very different from what it is today, not sure how, but it will in some way.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
I disagree because, every song, no matter what, uses the same chords/chord progression as another, riff or no riff. The difference between all the songs is the TEMPO or TIMING , and with that added in, there seems to be an almost infinite combination of possibilities...
To quote Audio Adrenaline, there's nothing new under the sun
oh, and rocker guy two above me, there aren't infinite tunings,
there are actually 2,985,984
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Last edited by cashewchaching at Feb 18, 2007,
Okay, the probability that you choose any 2 consecutive random frets on the boards is .00004856, and that gets even less for every consecutive note on the fretboard. Also, if you factor in a limit for how many notes can be played in the song (this varies for every song) you have an infinite amount of combinations for songs.

My theory is that songs will start to get really long, really quickly, and this will occur sometime in the distant future
Quote by Doodleface
well, if we move into diminished, and augmented keys. which have yet to be thoroughly explored.

we have quite a bit of time left.

under the same logic of your question..

does creative music exist?

every chord, note, progression, variation, arpeggio, scale, has been played before.
but theres still creative music!

yea, totally agree with you. That was my first thought - creativity. when i got the idea
SICfreak
yes, in theory, there are only so many combinations of notes.

but the entire concept of ryhthm and rhythmic intervals would make that a no my friend.
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
I think that maybe although you can't run out of riffs, you could run out of copyrightable ones, because of the six note law.
I agree, but i think everyone in all genres of music has different experiences or approaches when writing riffs and thats what makes them different. so i think that in the future we may find similar riffs, but never the exact same riff, because a riff (like the guitar) is all expression on personal feelings so they will never sound identical but only similar. but i think more bands will start to use 7 or 8 string guitars for originality. but i think as long as we have inspiration and motivation we will never run out of good riffs.
i have a theory that musical styles go in a circle, and eventually we will be back to banging sticks and rocks together.

BUt i also believe that Keith Richards is immortal and could only have been killed by Hendrix, Morrison, or Joplin.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by walker-rose
thats scary

I guess that's a possibility

And I suppose that one day, there will not be enough power or physical strength to play a billion-note riff simutaneously to make good sounds (in like a trillion years), to where it won't be possible to. But you could write it down. Until you run outta pencils. And paper. And other stuff like that.

What do we tell our children? Look before you leap. Stop and think. Don't judge a book by its cover. We believe that we are always better off gathering as much information as possible and spending as much time as possible in deliberation.
I doubt it. Reminds me of this quote:

"Everything that can be invented has been invented." --Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
Quote by cashewchaching
To quote Audio Adrenaline, there's nothing new under the sun
oh, and rocker guy two above me, there aren't infinite tunings,
there are actually 2,985,984

Does that include partials of notes? Things don't always have to be on a note or tuned a quarter step up or down.
okay, let's use your estimate of 144 frets. That means there are 144! (which for those of you who don't know, means 144 x 143 x 142 etc. down to 1 (which my graphing calculator won't even compute by the way)) SINGLE fret combinations. That means that you could factor in playing 2, 3, 4, 5, or all 6 strings simultaneously in the riff. And all of this has absolutely NO relation to rhythm, which would be virtually impossible to factor into an equation. Then of course, you have to consider effects that a guitar is capable of. So no, there is no possible way that we will ever, EVER, run out of new riffs to play.
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
Quote by Somarriba15
yeah, gamecube sucks, they only have baby games, like mario
You sir have no penis

Official Second Member of the "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club. PM jesusgonewrong to join.
The only reason you would run out of "riff ideas" is because you ran out of creativity. Music doesn't just have a dead end why do you think its been around practically forever? And I think the whole thing about the apocalypse and oil is bs. All the oil you were told to save by not driving fancy hummers and cars that eat up gas isn't going to make a difference at all.
Quote by walker-rose
thats scary

I agree with you. I wish Led Zeppelin was around with Jesus. He would have totally endorsed it.
Quote by Methuselah
I agree with you. I wish Led Zeppelin was around with Jesus. He would have totally endorsed it.

Jesus wouldn't have endorsed Led Zep, he was a working man.
i've got it we add semitones or uhm quartertones whatever. Problem solved with the help from indians i've got to go help some stoners find something better to smoke.
Founder of UG's Club

Quote by Kadaj
Yes, that's why it has big fangs, for tickling you with.

Quote by JC13
The banker has proposed an offer of FOUR BJ's...lucky911charms, Deal, or No deal?
well even with all these variables... eventually it would happen probably not for like thousands of years but i think it might eventually happen
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Rhythm is infinite. Melody isn't. Say you have a 7 note 'riff' in equal temperament, that's only 35,831,808 different possible combinations. However, you can quantize a stretch of time infinitely, aka, those seven notes can be places anywhere in time and be held for any given amount of time. So, different musical combinations are always possible, as long as rhythm is taken into account.
I don't think so.

The more scales and modes people fall into, the more possibilites there'll be.

Power chords will die, sure, but people will just adapt to other stylings and sounds, and effect and whatnot, keeping SOME KIND of fresh sound.

The day that fresh sound dies is when everyone reverts back to past music for all they need and no new music will be made, just variations and covers of old songs.

Which still means new riffs won't die, they'll just be variants to old ones. It's a vicious cycle.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
...soon everyone might even be playing 30+ fretted guitars

Forum Archives / About / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2006