Page 1 of 2
Jamming like 5 hours a day can be practise right? All day Im just jamming and making up my own songs and stuff.
yep

the more you play the better you get
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
as long your challenging yourself.

if you keep playing power chords and riffs in E minor, your not practicing.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
good lol... im not a noob but that was a noob question. but yeah lots of people think that they have to Practice scales for like 8 hours a day to be like Vai and shit but all i do is jam and read some scales here and there and stuff.
If you want to be like Vai, you will have to suck it up and practice with a metronome for quite a bit.

Jamming is certainly a form of practice, though. You're learning how to make musical ideas and play cool licks and create melodies and such.
Quote by SillyRabbit
yeah i dont have a metrenome and i dont plan on using one for a bit

Well you have the internet where you can find a hundred different online metronomes.

And it seems like you take playing serious, Why not spend ten minutes a day doing it?

I only say this cause you seem to be the type that wants to play to the best of your abilities.
epic7734
Quote by SillyRabbit
good lol... im not a noob but that was a noob question. but yeah lots of people think that they have to Practice scales for like 8 hours a day to be like Vai and shit but all i do is jam and read some scales here and there and stuff.

exactly! i actually made a topic about this, and it's on the first page too.

But yeah, if you're writing songs that you think are good and that you enjoy, haven't you answered your own question?
Quote by SillyRabbit
yeah i dont have a metrenome and i dont plan on using one for a bit

boo.

thats a dumb thing to say.. practicing with a metrenome is the only way to practice...

unless you have like an actual band.. cause thats the only thing better.

but seriously, its best to practice with a metrenome, itll give you a great sence of time and get you practicing smarter (honestly i dont know how to describe it any better.. but it really is the best way to be practicing)
Quote by kmbuchamushroom
As long as you're using good technique and not promoting bad habits, like playing out of tempo or something.

Umm.. playing out of tempo is nothing.. that can be fixed in 3 minutes.
faster than that... just turn on the damn song youre playing..

but still, with a good sense of timing theres no need..

USE A METRENOME
Quote by Maggot66
Umm.. playing out of tempo is nothing.. that can be fixed in 3 minutes.

yeah, you should be able to count anyway..haven't you ever heard of tapping your foot?
Quote by deemoe4tweezy
i would all learn the basic open string chords first then learned bared majors,minors and 7ths

hahah you think im retarded??? i play for like 5 or 6 hours a day. Pffff WOW nothing against you or anything but wow is all i have to say to that comment.
Quote by Spamwise
yeah, you should be able to count anyway..haven't you ever heard of tapping your foot?

Where do you think you learn how fast to tap your foot, or how to tap your foot consitently. I can tap my foot out of rhythm all day. I think i'll go with training my self to know i'm doing it right.

But that just me.
epic7734
If you want to take it to the next level, scales and strict practice are a must, am I right?

Jamming is fun, but it can only get better based upon what you have learned and practiced imo...
i read an interview with SRV a while ago and what he said is he never used to practice at all on guitar he only ever played, thats how u create new stuff, besides, practising theory n sh!t is boring IMO
Jamming? By yourself? You're not really jamming if you're just playing, we call that "screwing around." You don't really learn anything so it's not practice. When you jam with other people they can show you things and you build experience.

Jamming by yourself is like wacking off, jamming with other people is like sex. Your choice...
Quote by larry jones

Jamming is fun, but it can only get better based upon what you have learned and practiced imo...

Yea, that's it basically. I mean I guess when you're jamming you build confidence and strengthen already learned concepts, but you don't learn any new techniques when you just play by yourself.
Quote by NotAJock2Day
You don't really learn anything so it's not practice.
Of course you learn things. Screw around time is when guitarists come up with their coolest licks!
Quote by epic7734
Where do you think you learn how fast to tap your foot, or how to tap your foot consitently. I can tap my foot out of rhythm all day. I think i'll go with training my self to know i'm doing it right.

But that just me.

You have to learn to count before you can use a metronome, if you can't keep a beat with your foot then you need to work on that.

Jamming? By yourself? You're not really jamming if you're just playing, we call that "screwing around." You don't really learn anything so it's not practice. When you jam with other people they can show you things and you build experience.

Not at all. You can buy tape decks or get amps with a recording feature (like one i have) to record backing tracks and jam over them, it definitly helps.
Not at all. You can buy tape decks or get amps with a recording feature (like one i have) to record backing tracks and jam over them, it definitly helps.

That's different, he was talking about just picking up a guitar and playing randomly forever.

Of course you learn things. Screw around time is when guitarists come up with their coolest licks!

So coming up with a cool lick makes you a better player? The horizontal learning, not vertical learning, if it's learning at all.
look up "weird metrenome"

i remember gettin it for free off some site

its a program that simulates a metrenome through your speakers
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Of course it does.

That's like saying guessing answers on a test makes you smarter. Licks come from intuition, creativity, and luck, not skill- coming up with catchy riffs doesn't make you a better player than you were before. Not technically, not at all. Does giving a gunman more bullets make him more accurate?
Quote by NotAJock2Day
That's like saying guessing answers on a test makes you smarter. Licks come from intuition, creativity, and luck, not skill- coming up with catchy riffs doesn't make you a better player than you were before. Not technically, not at all. Does giving a gunman more bullets make him more accurate?
You're not geting it. When you come up with a cool lick, you now have something to use whenever you play. If it's a completely original lick, you are starting to create your own, original sound. You can form your signature lick this way.

If that doesn't make you better...you know.
Quote by NotAJock2Day

Thats one of the most stupid things I've ever read on UG

EVER
^ not possible, we all know the pit contains far dumber things. imo, just jamming and screwing around is good for the creative side, practicing development of ideas and improv, its wonderful for that. but i wouldn't call it full on practicing, i'd call it jamming, it's helpful and good i'll definately give it that. when i think of practice i think of sitting down and working on some problem area that you have that needs refining or learning a new skill such as sweeping, tapping, alt picking or what have you.
What makes a good guitarist anyhow? I guess you can develop your signature sound by jamming, but you don't really learn anything new, because you're going over the same thing. You could argue that Randy Rhoads had his signature sound, but he knew more than the standard heavy metal/blues moves. Listen to Dee from the Blizzard of Ozz album, for example. Or, I dunno, Jimmy Page. Arguably, Page single-handedly forged the really hard rock/blues sound. Whole Lotta Love, Good Times Bad Times, and all those songs, but he was versatile. AC/DC are one of those really quintessential hard rock bands, but although they've got these great licks and stuff, they can't really do anything else, so I mean jamming in place of learning new stuff will probably help you develop all those sweet riffs and everything, but at risk of degenerating into a one-trick pony.
Quote by NotAJock2Day
That's different, he was talking about just picking up a guitar and playing randomly forever.

So coming up with a cool lick makes you a better player? The horizontal learning, not vertical learning, if it's learning at all.

Oh, well yeah then I don't think that makes you better. At least not to the degree of practicing with other people or at least a backing track, because when you do that you learn how it relates to the chords you're playing over. Of course making licks up is important but there has to be more then that.
Just do both. In your practice sessions set up time to jam along with a looper or whatever. Include time to work with a metronome.

But, of course jamming is a form of practice, especially with other people. Jamming with other people isn't about getting better speed, technique, etc... its about playing with others and becoming a better musician.

Or when your playing over a looper, you can practice staying in tempo or come up with great licks and new phrasing.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by Velvet Zeppelin
What makes a good guitarist anyhow? I guess you can develop your signature sound by jamming, but you don't really learn anything new, because you're going over the same thing. You could argue that Randy Rhoads had his signature sound, but he knew more than the standard heavy metal/blues moves. Listen to Dee from the Blizzard of Ozz album, for example. Or, I dunno, Jimmy Page. Arguably, Page single-handedly forged the really hard rock/blues sound. Whole Lotta Love, Good Times Bad Times, and all those songs, but he was versatile. AC/DC are one of those really quintessential hard rock bands, but although they've got these great licks and stuff, they can't really do anything else, so I mean jamming in place of learning new stuff will probably help you develop all those sweet riffs and everything, but at risk of degenerating into a one-trick pony.

Exactly my point, you don't learn anything new because you're just playing until you get lucky and come up with something. Practice is developing skills and becoming a better technical player.

Save me the whole that's stupid thing. When you come up with a new lick, you don't LEARN any new skills. Becoming a better player is having control over and polishing your techniques, not adding more licks to your repitoire. There's a difference between making up catchy licks and learning. Tom DeLonge has the guitar playing skills of a fruit bat, but he's come up with plenty of catchy progressions and songs. The majority of people here could out play him.
Quote by -=Led_Hed=-
practising theory n sh!t is boring IMO

And without it you'll be a shitty and boring guitarist.
And before you reply; Yes, Kurt Cobain was shitty and boring.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by bluesrocker101
Or when your playing over a looper, you can...come up with great licks and new phrasing.
BINGO! This is what Mr. Jock doesn't get, and sadly, might never get.

Quote by Archeo Avis
And without it you'll be a shitty and boring guitarist.
And before you reply; Yes, Kurt Cobain was shitty and boring.
Oh! Oh! Let me add a "Shut up and learn how to play your fucking guitar."
You probably aren't getting technically better. However, if you really focus on doing stuff you don't usually do, you can get awesome stuff.

You are more than likely progressing horizontally - more of the same.

@Led hed. It's good to know you are passionate about music , you fool.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Page 1 of 2