Sure this has been asked before... but can anyone clue me in as how to complete this feat, because as of right now it's really a quite an inconvience for me.
practice...it took me forever to barely be able to do it
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
find a song that you can play with out even trying... and then just sing... worry more about the singing and not the playing of the song.. it takes time... i have been working at it for a long time, and i still cant do it very good...
nirvana

practice with a nirvana song
^the greatest guitarist in the world.

A_Perfect_Tool:
How in the **** do you manage that?

(in regard to my 0.01 gpa)
start off with an easy song, Seek and Destroy is very easy to sing and play.
█████████████████
█████████████████
███████████████
██████████████
███████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
█████████████████
i learned to sing and play at the same time while playing .45 by shinedown...then moved to one of my own songs, now i can play quite a bit of songs and sing them...it just takes time and practice, and couting...a lot of couting cus it helps..
Quote by thrashster
start off with an easy song, Seek and Destroy is very easy to sing and play.

or smyphony of destruction bye megadeth would be easer to sing and play
i learned with some john mayer....daughters and your body is a wonderland
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
First understand that only the geniuses can sing and solo at the same time. It is easist to sing over patterns, whether strumming or arpegiatting. I second the person who said to concentrate on the singing part. f you've practiced enough the guitar playing comes naturally the more you don't think about it.
My simple set-up:
ESP - M-200-FM with emg 81-85s
Washburn - Maverick (total POS)
Saint Louis 5 string Bass

Floor POD, Du Hast and several cheap Behringer pedals.
Crate Amp

For those about to rock, we want you to go away.
start off with some bullet or trivium, shouldnt be too hard... lol shouldnt greenday be easy as ****?
I found Dammit by blink-182 easy as its just power chords. also play and sing along with the track, it'll get your timing better too.
well.. you just have to develop a sense of rhythm.. go man!
^_^
I just kept practicing with simple songs that can be played on acoustic, Hero, Chasing Cars etc. I usually learn the pattern and play the song without thinking, so I can concentrate on the words. Practice is what's needed.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
By far the easiest song to learn on guitar whilst singing is "Swing Life Away" by Rise Against. It also sounds nice.
You should start with some Coheed and Cambria stuff.. j/k.

Claudio is very very good at singing AND playing at the same time.. He has really mastered the skill.
The first song I could ever sing and play was Say It Ain't So by Weezer. Basically, you just have to practice playing the song first until you literally don't even have to think to play it. Generally people at UG can play guitar better then sing, so learn the guitar first. Then, once you can do this literally without even having to pay attention to it, try singing along. Try humming a little here or there at first, and just build up. If you just throw your voice into it completely right away, you *might* develop some bad habits, or you might learn a lot quicker. It depends on the person.
Main Gear:
Cort G-Series 254
Takamine EG345C 12-String
Fender Squier P-Bass

Peavey Classic 50
Laney HCM65B

$75 Junk Drums w/ B8 Hats/Crash/Ride
Quote by mat_dombrock
practice with a nirvana song

Yeah, you can't miss with Nirvana. The bulk of "About a Girl" is Em-G, "Polly" is four power chords, Smells Like Teen Spirit is easy...work on isolating your mental focuses. I used to inadvertently match the rhythm I was strumming to the rhythm of the vocals. I'm still not great at it.
Quote by duke_lion
You should start with some Coheed and Cambria stuff.. j/k.

Claudio is very very good at singing AND playing at the same time.. He has really mastered the skill.

i actually agree with the coheed suggestion. light and the glass is quite a good one to practice with i think.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I used to hate chavs until my sister got a smack in the mouth from one. Now I love them.
Quote by x X t o c z.
i actually agree with the coheed suggestion. light and the glass is quite a good one to practice with i think.

I think you might be right about that. It's quite slow...

But some of the rythms and stuff in some of their other stuff is pretty hard to sing to.. imo.
The only way I can sing and play at the same time is if i can play the song perfectly, without thinking about it at all.
Member of the "On the Right Track" club. PM Michelangelo193 or raise_the_dead to see if they approve of your "On the Right Track"-ness
I am Spartikus

Tremulous name: <CD>Mustang?
Quote by Velvet Zeppelin
Yeah, you can't miss with Nirvana. The bulk of "About a Girl" is Em-G, "Polly" is four power chords, Smells Like Teen Spirit is easy...work on isolating your mental focuses. I used to inadvertently match the rhythm I was strumming to the rhythm of the vocals. I'm still not great at it.

Nirvana, not really... While the guitaring is easy, the singing isn't. (Screaming at max volume over an amp anyone?)

Anyway, I think you get the idea. Play an easy song until you can play it in your sleep and then try and sing with it. Move on to harder and harder stuff until you get it down.

Cheers.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by duke_lion
I think you might be right about that. It's quite slow...

But some of the rythms and stuff in some of their other stuff is pretty hard to sing to.. imo.

try the crowing aswell, its not that difficult but it can be quite tricky to sing along. for me it is, atleast.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I used to hate chavs until my sister got a smack in the mouth from one. Now I love them.
took me an hour to get it right but i can sing to alot of songs now i guess constant practise play guitar at anychance u get
im learning to sing & play summer of 69-bryan adams atm & thats easy id recommend that
My Gear:
Fender 60th anniversary standard strat
Ibanez GRG170DX (selling)
Marshall MG15CDR (selling too)
Yamaha FG-400A
soon to have:
Vox AD50VT
you just need to practice more. it took me a few days to get my first song down.

i learned to play and sing by playing the music in the background and the practicing over it. that way i could keep a steady rhythm with the song. also, you must know the lyrics and guitar forwards and backwards so you don't have to think about them. know when the song switches to from verse to chorus and things like that.

here are song good songs to practice to, in order of difficulty:

"house of the rising sun" by the animals, "beezleboss" by tenacious d, "americana" by the offspring
If the song is all chords, then simplify the rhythm or strumming pattern to something very basic and get the singing coordinated with the chord changes. Once you can do that flawlessly, work on improving the strumming pattern. Essentially, break down a song into a simple form and learn to sing with that, and then improve the song.
i found this out by accident... whenever i play scales i call out the note names as i play them (in my head)... and then later i noticed that i could talk while playing my scales (something i couldn't do very well before practicing that way).

so it seems that even though i was talking in my head and not out loud, it was improving my ability to speak while playing... and i am pretty sure that would translate well to singing also.

-JC
Do You Make These Guitar Playing Mistakes? FREE guitar eBook... instant download at StartRocking.com