Ok, so my previous post went well. I wanted to go to an online site and chat with someone to see what his opinion was. Here are two things he recommended me:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Jackson-DKMG-Dinky?sku=512231

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Spider-III-75-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482272

I do realize that the guitar is close to $800. Is that worth it or should I get a lower priced one and work up. I'm a total beginner, and have never payed before. I don't want to spend more money than I have to but I also don't want to buy a guitar that doesn't sound good.

What do you guys think???
you need to dump the spider and spend less on the guitar, imo.

if ur into metal. maybe pick up a cube 30X amp.

did u want EMGs? and a trem?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah i played with all the digital distortion i think you should geta nice tube amp way better trust me you will be happieri fuc ked up that way
Honestly, people always say start with a cheap guitar and stuff, but I wish I had started with an expensive one, since I'm obviously still playing

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG1570-Electric-Guitar?sku=519965 <--- guitar Ibanez RG1570

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032 <--- amp Roland Cube 30x

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD30VT-30W-Guitar-Combo?sku=481959 <--- other amp Vox AD30VT

The guitar the guy recommended you is not versatile at all (EMG pickups have terrible clean sounds) and the amp, in my opinion, is not very good at all.

Oh, and people always say that you should spend at least as much on your amp as your guitar -- which is true, if you're going for sound quality above all. But in my experience having a nice guitar is better than having a super loud amp you can't get the best out of without getting kicked out of your apartment complex.
Last edited by Jongpil Yun at Feb 18, 2007,
dude hes a total beginner, emgs wont be any help for anything except forcing him to spend more money, go out and get a epi lp or sg, or a squire, and get a roland microcube, you dont need to buy a crazy guitar, and all guitars sound basically the same. also you should really start on an acoustic because youll build strength faster and dexterity faster.
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
he's just starting out. he does not need a tube amp. would be way too loud for bedroom practice.

he needs a simple, portable, reliable high gain amp. something with a few models so he can find his favorite style.

imo, cubes have better tone and are generally more reliable as compared to spiders.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

I personally think that would be a very nice setup.
I would in fact be jealous of you.

I have played that guitar and I loved it. Handles excellent. Good tremolo system aswell.
And I think that the Line 6 SPIDER series are excellent amps aswell.
Thanks guys. As for the "wanting EMG's and trems" question, I'm not sure what they are so I can't answer that. Basically I need to convince my parents to get me a guitar and amp, and if they're spending thousands they won't do it.

I just need something that will play good and not let me down on sound. There's nothing more discouraging than playing an instrument that sounds like shit. I know from saxophone experience. I'd rather pay more to get a good instrument than to not pay as much and sound "ok"

Make sense?
I hate decisions like these. It's like trying to pick out the strongest fighter amoung 12 without seeing any of them fight beforehand.
ok EMGs are active pickups. usually used for metal styles.

not a typical first choice in a first guitar. but not unheard of, if ur sure that's the style ur into.

a trem bridge. is a moving bridge. u press the bar to make the bridge move and change the strings pitch.
just to add, that's a floyd bridge. pretty tough for a guy just starting out to work. u would need to read up on floyds first, to see what i mean.

again, not a typical first choice. harder to string, tune, and it's not like ur going to have the ability to perform difficult techniques.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 18, 2007,
well why dont you tell us what kind of music you listen to?
and what youd EVENTUALLY like to play?
#64 in the Alter Bridge rocks club!

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
I listen to metal and rock

Stuff like Metallica, Megadeth, children of Bodom, Zeppelin, Guns and Roses

You know, that type of thing. The metalish/hard rock stuff. I'd like to be able to play blues as well, so if I go for a guitar that's jus tmetal I might get a little sick of it. It's like someone saying "play something for me" and me only being able to play metal. What if they want to hear Stevie Ray, know what I mean?
if i were u, id get a made in mexico HSS fat strat. $400.
and a cube 30x. $230.

do u see #1?

that's a humbucker. the other two pickups are single coils.

humbuckers are typically used for heavier music.
single coils for classic rock.

with this guitar, u can switch back and forth getting a few different tones.

the cube will help u get that higher gain tone u use the most and at the same time the cleans arent that bad. u should still be able to get a pretty good rock sound.

another option is a double humbucker guitar like an Epiphone SG or similar.
that's fine too. the mahogany body suits heavier styles well.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

+1 for the HSS strat!
but you might wanna think of getting the humbucker swapped for a slightly higher gain bucker. im not too much on pickups but i know the mexican strat i played took quite a bit of tweaking to get that nice metal tone from.
what do you think jenny?

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
i think, with a high gain amp, and a humbucker, ur fine tone wise.

yes, it's easiest getting a metal tone from a double humbucker guitar.
but i think for versatility an HSS strat is a really good place to start.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

+1 for the HSS strat!
but you might wanna think of getting the humbucker swapped for a slightly higher gain bucker. im not too much on pickups but i know the mexican strat i played took quite a bit of tweaking to get that nice metal tone from.
what do you think jenny?

Yes, I reckon that a complete beginner will definitely need to worry about swapping the pickups in his forst guitar

Some pros don't even bother swapping pickups, why on earth does a first timer need to worry about it? Fat strat's a good idea, maybe a Pacifica 112 - I wouldn't recommend a floating bridge to a beginner, I remember when I was starting and played on a friends floyd-equipped guitar, not good! The most important thing when starting is that the guitar behaves itself, floyds have a mind of their own and would be a massive obstacle to anyone just starting out,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
^ im just saying i dont like the tone from the bucker in a strat. if i were to get a pup swap i wouldnt do it. id have someone with electric knowledge do it bc im clueless lol. i think if he did that hed be happier later when his ear starts to develop.
A lot of pros dont need to swap pups. i mean their either playing custom giutars or high quality guitars MOST of the time. if youve got one of those, do you really need to? lol

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
Guys.... lets not forget the SE line for PRS.

Here's how much it costs:
PRS SE Custom

I still use this guitar...it plays great and can compete with guitars 3 times the cost. I have no Idea how PRS made this so cheap but still high quality. I've gig'd with this guitar at least 5 times and it has never failed me.

Good luck.

EDIT- the cube is a great practice amp...sounds very authentic.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer