I've been playing for a month now (old spanish guitar a friend gave me and newly bought electric). I can play some basic stuff, and I can switch chords (the one's that I know) fairly quickly. I've memorized about 15 chords and can play some simple songs like Tears in Heaven, etc.

I take a guitar class in my high school, but it's really slow-paced. If I had to put myself in a category I guess it would be an "advanced beginner", but I really want to progress as a guitarist. I don't want to be the uninformed guitarist that can only read tabs -- I want to understand theory, go through exercises, anything that'll make me better. I'm not going to take personal lessons, so I really need some information on what will make me "better". What should I learn and how should I go about learning it? Is there a certain order for things I should learn? Thanks
What kind of stuff do you want to be doing.
(i.e. Playing Rock N' Roll, Metal, do you want to be soloin' all the way through a song)
get lessons. learn theory. practice with a metronome
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
Well, I like hard rock, classic rock, blues, and some metal [Rap is my favorite but there ain't too many guitars in that]. And yeah, I want to be able to play solo's too.
Blues - Start learnin' some blues licks and how to phrase your solos. Practice them to a metronome and a song. Learning pentatonic scales are a must aswell.

Metal - Start learnin to pick fast but fluently (to a metronome).

Classic Rock - Try making as cool a riff as some of your favorite rock songs. Learn some of your favorite guitarists techniques and get good at them (< Metronome again essential here), then start to develop some of your own.

Hard Rock - Meet you new best friend - The Powerchord.

Rap - No need to practice.

Largely I'll point out scales and your metronome.
You got down chords so practice barre chords and scales. Try different type of picking. After scales then start nailing solo's.
You got down chords so practice barre chords and scales. Try different type of picking. After scales then start nailing solo's.

Good plan - barre chords are great, they improve finger strength and also open up the fretboard and effectively give you a starting point for improvising. To learn them, simply play any songs you know from chord sheets rather than tabs, but simply substitute barre chords for open chords. By doing that you pretty much force yourself to learn where the notes are at least on the bottom two strings, once you understand that then scales will make a lot more sense to you.

I'd say follow something like this for the time being, what it'll do is give you a damn good understanding of how the guitar works. You might spend a month or two getting to grips with everything, but what you'll find afterwards is that songs that maybe took a few days to nail will take a couple of hours, or maybe even less.

Major scale - nothing complicated initially, just learn the basic major scale pattern for now so you know what people are on about when they talk about 3rds and 5ths! The important thing to understand is the intervals between the notes, don't limit yourself to one pattern either, you can play the scale anyway you like - one one string, on 2 strings, on 3 etc.

Chords - learn basic chord theory, how they're made up from notes from scales and how they're all actually the same in terms of how you construct them (which is why barre chords work). Also, learn how the more common inversions work eg minor chords are a major chord with the 3rd note of the root (as in the name of the chord, so the root of an A chord is A) scale flattened by one step (the minor 3rd). That means you can take any major chord and flatten the 3rd by one step to create a minor chord. Same for 7th chords - you need to add the 7th note of the major scale of the root to the chord.

Barre chords - basically just using your index finger as a moveable nut so you can play open chord shapes further up the neck. Learning these will help you find your way around the fretboard as it helps you find the notes.

More scales - by now you should understand how to make chords, you won't need to memorise them all, by knowing the major shapes and knowing how to form and alter them you should be able to play pretty much any chord. You can also play barre chords comfortably and aren't scared of moving away from the nut. If you've already learned that major scale pattern you'll see how it translates anywhere on the neck and also continues on indefinitely until you run out of frets.

When I was starting I used the barre chords as my map - I knew where they were so by default I could find the root notes for scales. Also this is the best time to learn the pentatonic scales - basically a simplified version if the major or minor scale with 5 notes instead of 7....this is the basic foundation for all blues. rock and ultimately metal soloing. Learn the scale and look for it in songs you learn, you'll find it in so many solos and you'll also spot several licks that crop up time and time again.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Manny21
Well, I like hard rock, classic rock, blues, and some metal [Rap is my favorite but there ain't too many guitars in that]. And yeah, I want to be able to play solo's too.

rap? you can find a lot of guitar in rap. go check out the roots, some talib kweli, rage against the machine, and tons more. go buy dr. dre's the chronic. you could do any rap song on guitar if you have the right tones/effects
gear

Fender Standard Tele (with kill-switch)
PRS SE Custom
Fender Hot Rod Deville
Boss DD-3 Delay
Boss GE-7 Eq
Boss DS-1 distortion
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff
Boss CS-3 Compression
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop ZW-45 Zakk Wylde Signature wah
learn the 3 different shapes for every chord and practise major, minor, chromatic and pentatonic scales. just keep doing this until you are fluent.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog