ok,i left my guitar at skool one day,and in the 2 hrs it was there someone had played it,and knocked it outta tune,and doing so,they broke the nut for the d string,so ts jus sittin flat on the neck,and the others are fine,i was wondering whats the best nut to get,its plastic right now,its a fender strat if that helps,ive had to do everything else to a guitar,but this is the first time ive ever had to change a nut...what would be best for bending,and some times tunnin down a max of a half step,i dont want a locking nut,jus b/c i dont wanna have ne thing done to the neck..any help,well appreciated
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
If you get a graphtec nut it will help with bending and tuning stability since the graphite will be more "slippery" than plastic. It will be black though, so that may bother you.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
i dont use the trem on it,but would it help with bending,it does fine now,but i gotta play the strings for about 3 weeks for it to not go outta tune when i bend,right now its fine when i bend,but it needs a new nut...

Private in the 7>6

if it's not too bad u can glue the part back on, add some baking soda then file with a toothpick wrapped wt sandpaper after dry.

or take it in.

i swapped out a nut once it's a bit of a pain in the ass. u need to score out the old one, sometimes it's glued in there. then u shave the new one down to fit.
i can go thru it all for u if u want.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=stringnut

those are the different types.

maybe because its a strat it'll be easy to find a good replacement nut. i think the prob wt mine was all the work i had to do to find and fit the replacement.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
well,the peice is gone,it wasnt near my guitar when i noticed it

Private in the 7>6

ok, sometimes u can build up with a drop of crazy glue, just sprinkle some baking soda an the glue as it dries.

depends on how bad it is. but it'll work till the new nut comes in at least.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

if i get a graphite nut,would it be possible for it to not be slotted,ive seen a couple that way,does it do anything to the intonation or sound,or tuning in general?

Private in the 7>6

I have an Earvana Compensated Nut on my Schecter S-1 Elite and it rocks .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by punkMETALskater
if i get a graphite nut,would it be possible for it to not be slotted,ive seen a couple that way,does it do anything to the intonation or sound,or tuning in general?

well u can buy them "blank" but then u would need to file the slots urself.

that's a whole other project.

i suggest u look at pre cut
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

earvana seems nice,but i cant break into my "chad needs a acoustic/electric" fund for a new nut,i gotta use the spare cash i have,so 35 bux for a new nut is kinda hard since,i dont have a job and im savin w.e money i dont spend on food,gas,and studio time,when i go out with my friends...so ebay has always beena good friend,11 bux for a pre cut graphite nut,is perfect for me...

how hard would it be for me to put the nut in?,what would i need to do

Private in the 7>6

well first ull want a new nut. otherwise, ull have ur guitar unstring while u wait for it to be delivered.

maybe because it's common strat, u can find one in a guitar store. not sure.

anyway, using a sharp knife, "score" cut around the edge of the nut.

then try to tap out the nut, screwdriver and light tapping from hammer.
sometimes if glue is a problem. using heat from a dryer can loosen things up.

then the new nut will need to be tried in the spot.

tape some sand paper to a table and shave the nut across the paper if u cant get it to fit in there.
be carefull not to shave too much.

hang on let me find a tutorial...

http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Luthier/Technique/Setup/NewNut/newnut1.html

at the bottom of each page click next

you arent filing it that much, or slotting it. so really just the first part applies.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Feb 18, 2007,
Quote by punkMETALskater

Unslotted just means you have to cut the notches yourself.
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
my local GC sells pre-cut graphtech graphite nuts for strats, so yours might too!
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by punkMETALskater
earvana seems nice,but i cant break into my "chad needs a acoustic/electric" fund

Some off-topic advice:

You'll save yourself money and get better tone if you just buy a normal acoustic and then buy a soundhole pickup for it.

The "electric" part of most low to middle-end acoustic/electrics sound like crap.
Quote by utsapp89