Some of you guys might disagree, but the Hives are awesome, and pretty damn punk rock. Sure, they're really popular and in the mainstream, but they never lost their "wierdness" if you get what I mean. They still have just as much energy as they ever did, and their songs are still awesome. If you haven't heard them, (I doubt this will be the case with anybody, but whatever) they kinda sound like the Dead Boys on crack, plus a little something of their own I guess.

http://www.myspace.com/thehives
http://www.hivesmusic.com/index.aspx

They also seem to have a thing for Radio Birdman. One of their album covers looks kinda like a Radio Birdman one, and in the "Walk Idiot Walk" video, I believe one of the guitarists plays the same guitar that Deniz Tek plays (which is wierd because I've never seen anyone else with that guitar).

EDIT: None of their best songs are on either of those sites, so...uh...deal with it I guess, just know that that stuff isn't their best, even though it's still really good.
I never really liked The Hives. Something about them rubs me the wrong way. I can't really say what it is because I recognize that they have talent. And, cause you mentioned it, I like Radio Birdman.
i've been on the Hives since i first came to UG haha. and i got a lot of shit for it in 2002 when they had a brush with the "mainstream." i don't listen to much as much punk now as i did, but The Hives are still one of my favorite bands. i've liked all of they're LPs so far, though each is notably different from the other, with Barely Legal being the most punk (i believe most of them were 16-17 when it was recorded)....all of it is really good, catchy, energetic shit with more punk attitude than most people would credit them with.

this video for A.K.A. I.D.I.O.T. off of Barely Legal is great:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xh_fVSBEgKA
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
Last edited by phobos at Feb 19, 2007,
Not punk. But still awesome.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
I honestly think the Hives are the most annoying band on the planet. Everytime I hear "Walk Idiot Walk" I just want to kill myself. But I will admit, their 2001 album was pretty good. I liked the songs "Hate To Say I Told You So" and "Main Offender." Ah, good times with those songs at school dances.
LOL
Quote by TlM ARMSTRONG
I love the Hives. They aren't a ' punk band ' though.

i would beg to differ if you haven't listened to Barely Legal which came out way back in 1997.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
I like:

Phobos (he oozes cool)

Misfits and AC/DC Covers + original recordings (jazz/punk, hardcore, "shredish").
http://advancederror.dmusic.com
They sure are.

They're alright. Their singles all have something that grabs me, their album tracks not so much.
I don't know why, but they've always irritated me. I can see they have talent, but there's something that makes me want to grind my teeth every time I listen to them.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Totally ^

Whatever happened to them?!?!
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
I have all their cds and love them. I wouldn't call them Punk though.
The Proverbial Mind Spread of The Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Originally posted by Draken
we're not nerds thank you very much i have a very respectable 40k imperial guard army.
Quote by Patches McGee
Totally ^

Whatever happened to them?!?!

they're coming up with a new record this year ...don't know when tough......
i heard they were doing something with timbaland!? don't know if it's true....
The hives kick ass WALK THE IDIOT WALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whatever happened to them and there fat ass guitarist ! That guy was a ****ing riot. Love them!
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Not really a big Hives Fan at all but I do like a handful or so of their tracks, IE: Diabolic Scheme, Main Offender, Here We Go Again, AKA I-D-I-O-T, No Pun Intended etc. I first heard of The Hives I guess about 5 Years ago now when I heard AKA I-D-I-O-T and fell in love with the intro from the track, Probably my most listened to and one of my favorite tracks from the Early 00's Garage Rock Revival.
I wouldn't call them punk really - I'd say garage rock or something or the sort.

I've got Veni Vidi Viscious and I personally think it's a pretty good album. Nothing spectacular, but good for the occasional listen.

They've got lots of raw energy, but I still don't know whats happened to them...
They're the most intense band ever. I love 'em, mostly because they're so clearly out of their minds. Pelle's rants on Tussles in Brussels are some of the funniest things I've ever heard. I wanna go to Hive Manor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Guyt6eJG2XE
Listen to mah discs.

And coming soon, THE CLEVER DEVILS VS. THE BLONDES.

Vote for me in the
^yeah what makes the hives the hives is the energy they put into their songs. Even while listening to it you feel like its a concert! They just put so much raw talent and fun into their songs
1# member of R.I.P layne staley club pm me to join
Coolest people on UG
Alucard ll
Kendawg4TooL
XeNoCiDe730
Thembones 16
Stepco
Ticks&Leeches
theWretched
Sadisticmonkey
michelangelo!
Kartman
DownInAhole
rockon1824
Rhinosaur Bones
Quote by blackflag49
The Hives, The Vines, The Strokes... honestly, I think it's all the same ****..

That whole "crazy, raw energy" for people to rock out to on their iPods, on Verizon commercials, it's so contrived..

I don't know what you're talking about. The ones you have listed there are definitely the most talented from that whole garage revival thing. And how is it contrived? Those three bands have nothing in common. The Hives released their first album in 1997 before the whole garage-revival thing and you can't compare The Strokes' music to The Vines'. Even if the record labels gave those bands preferential treatment for being raw or whatever, the bands themselves made some pretty damn good music, and that's what counts in my book.
Yes, because bands label themselves.

No, they seriously don't. To think that is just plain stupid, no offense. When a band gets the amount of hype that The Strokes got in the beginning of the 00's, music journalists instantly feel the urge to label bands and come up with this whole new "music revolution" or scene or whatever. The Strokes themselves even stated that they despised the whole thing. Personally I prefer to look beyond what music jounralists label bands as.
Quote by DownInAHole.
I honestly think the Hives are the most annoying band on the planet. Everytime I hear "Walk Idiot Walk" I just want to kill myself. But I will admit, their 2001 album was pretty good. I liked the songs "Hate To Say I Told You So" and "Main Offender." Ah, good times with those songs at school dances.

I don't like that song, and the hives are my favourite band, my "new favourite band" if you will. New album is amazing.
Quote by mh400nt
Theres rats running around outside my window, one of them has an apple, he looks very happy about this.

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
Oh ****

Aaaah well. It gives me an excuse to rape.

Quote by Jaymz_515
Bunnywunnywabbitywoos.
To anyone who's fairly knowledgable about the hives live shows, anyone got any idea what sorta songs I'll DEFINATELY see in a setlist?

just I'm seeing them on friday, and I'm only familiar with their singles, I've not heard a great deal else, I just got tickets 'cause they were cheap

are there any songs that haven't been singles that I should definately expect to hear?
I love The Hives, really fun band. Nice mystery behind it all aswell with "Randy".

monsta edit:

Quote by matt bickerton
To anyone who's fairly knowledgable about the hives live shows, anyone got any idea what sorta songs I'll DEFINATELY see in a setlist?

just I'm seeing them on friday, and I'm only familiar with their singles, I've not heard a great deal else, I just got tickets 'cause they were cheap

are there any songs that haven't been singles that I should definately expect to hear?

How much were tickets?

I expect they'll play:

Tick Tick Boom
You Dress Up For Armageddon
Hey Little World
Bigger Hole To Fill
Won't Be Long

(most tracks on Black And White Album-probably not Puppet On a String, as they don't tend to have a piano.)

Hate To Say I told You So, you won't hear anything that isn't recorded though, I expect...
Last edited by ze monsta at Nov 18, 2007,
Any other older songs I should definately look out for?

I just wanna listen to a lot of their stuff beforehand so I won't be completely lost on some songs.

EDIT: tickets were only £16, not bad at all.
Last edited by matt bickerton at Nov 19, 2007,