Well I just picked up a hawaiian (spelling?) backpacker acoustic that Im wanting to remodel with an old school videogame theme. Im thinking about mounting a printout of imagery across it and then lacquering it up but that seems a little ...cheap.
Heres a pick of it as is currently.

Ive considered adding art inlays to the neck but I dont know how to even do that If I settle on a theme. I could use some tips on this because I dont even know how to safely disassemble this thing .Any Ideas would be great seeing as this will be my first remodel ever, heres the themes Im trying to decide between now for the paint job.
Purple must die.

-mario blocks
-screenshot of the Title screen from the original legend of zelda
- megaman fighting metalman
-sprites from all the early final fantasy games
-the hylian shield design from zelda ocarina of time
-Tetris blocks
-sonic the hedgehogs intro logo

Feel free to let me know which you would like to see me do the most or if you have any ideas of other things to try here.
Tetris Blocks Going Up The Fretboard, No Challenge!
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I completely agree with Will_Minus! Do tetris blocks going down the fetboard and then a half full tetris board on the body!
Or do a PacMan theme.

By the way, how do those sound compared to a regular acoustic? I might want to pick one up.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I gotta say that body really is perfect for a tetris theme.

Btw, those guitars dont' sound that bad. I have a friend with one, the only weird thing abotu it is its size
The bridge is hardcore man
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
String it with digital strings. that way you can accurately play the SMB theme.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Digital strings?
How would I go about doing this upgrade my friend? Right now its looking like Tetris is pulling into the lead for themes though there is a mario 2 theme thats voting high on another board. That theme is one where mario is descending down the fretboard to a locked door on the body while carrying phanto's key and getting chased by phanto...god that mask was scary as a kid. Anyhow great suggestions guys lets keep this thing going!
lol, i was kinda j/k

A square waver will make you sound 8 bit, but you need an amp. so that's kinda out. I like the tetris idea, or you might do some metroid or fireballs. Or MUSHROOMS. make the guitar into a mushroom, with the pixelated mushrooms as inlays!!!
My Blog

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Okay im going to make a photoshop of both tetris because its the most loved design so far and also of the mario 2 one with its other board suggestion thats pretty funny.

Mario on several parts of the fretboard running with that key being chased by phantos. Then a few platforms with him still running with it and jumping over those danged sparks that circled your platforms...then the last one is him on the last platform being left alone right across from the door

Except now the key he was holding is resting on spikes that entirely cover the floor and the words "Epic Failure" adorn the sides of the body in a mario font. I laughed HARD at this idea and will make it a photoshop as well as the tetris theme.

What colors should I use in your opinions? I know screenshots provide colors for the main designs but for the guitar's back and sides Im open to suggestions still.
another vote for tetris theme here! (maybe 2 considering my room mate also agrees on the tetris theme )
I vote for Tri-Force inlays, although tetris would also be pretty cool.
Muddy Waters Tele - Signed by the members of Canned Heat
PRS Soapbar SE - Signed by Michael Angelo Batio
H&K Statesman Quad EL-84
Dunlop Wah (modded to JH specs)
Quote by lespaulmarshall
The bridge is hardcore man

Holy shit. You werent kidding. It just arrived folks and this thing is a complete overhaul as well as paint job. The bridge is made of a thin crappy piece of wood and the things tuners suck. One strum=pulled out of tune.

Plus I dont know what they strung this with but it aint good.

So since it was getting pulled apart anyways for painting I ask you...what parts should I try to get to make this guitar sound nice.
Go time.
Still trying to get some pics (digital camera sucks and died) but took this thing apart and wow its gonna definately need a new bridge at least. This thing feels as light as paper and wasnt even mounted to the body. Tuners feel all weak and tug out with the slightest string tension so yeah tuners need to go. This thing looks like it had a raised archtop bridge but it pulled the strings up pretty far so I may just change that out. I seriously wonder if only 15 frets will be enough to play all I want on this thing but its dimensions may limit me from mounting a new longer neck.
Aw screw it who cares this thing is turning out to be a fun project thats keeping me busy. If nothing else I can sketch out the inlays and designs and go back and forth with you all this evening on design specs.
This is the guitar in question. Im beginning to think that the pieces in the fretboard may simply feel wrong because they are painted gold. If the maker airbrushed the completed fretboard black AFTER he had inserted the metal that means he probably just painted them gold again. We'll know for sure after sanding the thing lightly if theres metal under there.

The Guitar
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9418/pict0098ue4.jpg

The archtop Bridge
http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/9513/pict0104al6.jpg

The Tuners
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8498/pict0095ia7.jpg

The Fretboard (sideview of the possibly solid piece fretboard)
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/9830/pict0105gt6.jpg

The Fretboard (topview )
http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2102/pict0101wg5.jpg
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, not the evil tuners from HELL. I have so many guitars with crappy tuners like that, I need to invest in some replacements. Tuners, a bridge, etc shouldn't run much more than 70 for some guitarfetsh.com parts. they make a fantastic line of pickups, so a pickup would be easy to get and cheap as well.
My Blog

Well, it's not uncommon for bridges not to be fixed on archtops - in this case it's probably to allow you to adjust intonation.

15 frets is plenty to play - but it's really odd for their to be wooden frets, since wooden frets are much more difficult to do than metal ones. And it doesn't make any sense to paint the fretboard, then re-paint the frets, when you could more easily paint the fretboard, then wipe the paint off the frets.

Very odd.
The whole things been odd so far though. Anybody got any idea what kind of tuners this thing can take?

EDIT:SANDING IN PROGRESS!
Last edited by shaowebb at Mar 3, 2007,
Whew. Been awhile since I worked on this thing. I had college kick into high gear for awhile so I havent even touched this in awhile.
The theme has been decided on. Its going to have a Mario 3 theme based off of something grand achieved only a few times in this game through the use of a game genie. Hammer bros mario inside Kuribo's shoe....WITH A STAR!
The boot killed all and allowed you to move on spikes or squash invincible enemies, the hammers killed ALL and the star made me invincible.
The guitar will have a black body with a mario's sky color of blue freboard with clouds from mario on it to mark the fret positions.
Here is the image thats going on the body .

Im adding text to the outside of the body to commemorate the unstoppable nature of this situation. Im also going to sculpt either more clouds onto the tuning keys when they arrive or mario coins onto them. Simply clump bondo on key, smooth top and bottom flat, print and stick on pics of item, file off sides and paint then top coat.

Im deciding between
"Unstoppable"
"What now bitches."
"Yeah. What now."
"Kuribo DOOM!"

Heres pics of the progress so far. Black painting in progress.

Quote by Will_Minus
Tetris Blocks Going Up The Fretboard, No Challenge!

oh god yes
GEAR
- Epi Les Paul Custom (emma)
- Orange Tiny Terror
- 2x12 w/greenbacks
-MXR ZW-44 Overdrivel
- MXR Phase 90
- EB Volume JR.
- Boss DD-3
I like the Idea of Kuribo mario. Maybe paint it on sideways on the back and paint some enemies going up the neck, or do it on the front and paint the enemies on the fretboard on top of some of those blocks mario is standing on.
My Blog

Okay the body is now painted black and designs are on the sides and front as well as base. I have also got an INCREDIBLE clear coat job im working on using multiple layers of Krylon crystal clear glaze. In the past one coat of this gave me a glass polished look. Im on about coat 4 now.

I have nothing on the guitar's back or fretboard yet. I was going to put clouds on more blue to mark the frets

Anyhoo...pics!

ALL pics are pre clear coat so far.
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/4203/pict0141ox9.jpg
http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/8813/pict0142cf3.jpg
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/8064/pict0143nz3.jpg
http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/4966/pict0144mp2.jpg
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9275/pict0145nt7.jpg