..do most lessons that show scales do so in the key of A or G? Is there any reason behind this or is it just one a few people picked and it stuck?
hm... "a" cause its alphabetically first
"g" i dunno

i always thought "c" was the most common key cause its the chromatic scale but idk
'C' is not the chromatic scale. C is the all natural scale.

In orchestrated music, songs are common in both the key of G and A. Maybe it's just a carry-over.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
Yeah, I think because A comes first.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I don't mean to nit pick at you.. but C is not Chromatic scale it just (along with the relative A minor) has no sharps or flats.. And I figured it would be the most common as well.. but it seems i am wrong to assume that because most of the scale lessons on this site and others refer alot to A and G
they use A because it's the firs in alphabetical order, and G because A and G pentatonic scales have the same notes
Erm.... no they don't....

A Major Pentatonic = A,B,C#,E & F#

G Major Pentatonic = G,A,B,D & E

A minor Pentatonic = A,C,D,E & G

G minor Pentatonic = G,A#,C,D & F

A and G pentatonic scales do not have the same notes.
Think about it... if A & G Penatonic scales had the same notes, what would be the use of having both of them...
Schecter Hellraiser
-Abalone border
-Gothic cross inlays
-Orgasm.
Quote by NotAJock2Day
LOL.

Anyway, they usually pick A because it has an open string, an open chord, and has a scale that's in a comfortable position on the fretboard for a beginner.

lol, i was gonna say that to.

The G scale can easily start on the 3rd fret, And the A scale can easily start on the 5th fret. Like said above, they are in a comfortable position for beginners.
epic7734
Quote by Free
Erm.... no they don't....

A Major Pentatonic = A,B,C#,E & F#

G Major Pentatonic = G,A,B,D & E

A minor Pentatonic = A,C,D,E & G

A and G pentatonic scales do not have the same notes.

yeah, sorry, i got confused, thank you
Quote by Free

G minor pentatonic is G - Bb - C - D - F - G, not G - A# - C - D - F, for future reference.
^someones knittpicky about enharmonics

O and to the guys talking about G and A pentatonic matching, your incorrect. G minor is the relative minor to A# Major, meaning that the A# major pentatonic is in reality just the G minor pentatonic. Maybe that'll clear things up.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
Quote by AssassinLoki090

O and to the guys talking about G and A pentatonic matching, your incorrect. G minor is the relative minor to A# Major, meaning that the A# major pentatonic is in reality just the G minor pentatonic. Maybe that'll clear things up.

It's relative to Bb major.
I was thinking backwards, so it still stands.

Ass, now I feel like a failure as a musician.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
Quote by AssassinLoki090

No, I'm not. Writing it with A# is incorrect and doesn't show the function of the minor third within the scale. G minor pentatonic contains no augmented second, yet writing it with an A# would lead you to believe so, which is why it must be written with a Bb so that the function of the minor third is clear - that is me correcting someone posting incorrect information, not being nitpicky about enharmonics.
A is minor and G is major(chord-wise at least). they are probably giving examples of both minor and major.
signitcha
Schecter C-1 Classic
Peavey 5150 2x12 Combo
MXR 10 Band EQ