I was, as I tend to do when I'm bored, checking out guitars on the net.
And I have heard a bunch of good stuff about Seagulls and have finally gotten over my strong dislike of the headstock.

Just wondering what are the cedar tops like? How do they compare to a spruce top? Do they open up after you have played them a lot like a spruce top does? Are there any particular reason why they are using cedar (sound? price?)?

Thanks

EDIT:
Also what about Cherry? I know that in the S6 the the back and sides are cherry (cherry laminate that is). If I can remember right Cherry is a very dense wood.
How would this, for example if it was solid wood affect tone? I'm guessing that seeing as it is laminate it probably isn't different to any other laminated woods used, especially when talking about the back and sides of the guitar.
Last edited by johnos at Feb 19, 2007,
if you fingerpic alot a cedar top adds some more warmth, so its more ideal for fingerpicking.
but it does tend to break up if you strum like you've never plyed an acoustic before...
anyways seagulls are awesome guitars, i myself own one with a cedar top and it plays and sounds like a dream
Cedar top is alot softer and warmer than spruce. Cedar will open up faster than spruce. Spruce is more bright and IMO clearer, but it all depends on the body of the guitar too.

Cherry is a lighter wood, it is more bright than warm.

Solid wood can age over time and allows the wood to open up which adds resonance and tone to guitar.
Gear:
-Fender Mexican Telecaster
-Vox VR15 amp
-Yamaha FG-700S acoustic
-No name classical guitar with a stinky greasy fretboard
I have a Walden G570 with a cedar top and I would agree with the general descritption of cedar being warm. It is excellent for fingerpicking and light strumming.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Ok, cool. I'll have to try it out back to back with something I'm used to.
Thanks guys