I can get either for about the same price down here so what do you think? I love how both of them look but I do like the Fender look more because its truly the sex. They both sound alright but the RBX374 seems to get a real good range of sound but the J Bass is alright too.

The RBX is a little cheaper actually but if I do get the MIM J Bass, then I would probably get upgrades for it down the road like a Badass II bridge.

Oh and I play metal/thrash/alternative/rock if that helps any.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
Fender J Bass definitely

It's either a great bass or the greatest bass(besides Ibanez).
Proud owner of a LAGUNA OCEAN TB-75
What? You're getting an upgrade already?

Try them both out, and see which one suits you better :p
Personally, I can't stand Fender J Basses - they're so ****ing ugly
I have the RBX374 and love it. I much prefer it to the feel of a J Bass, but it is up to you. Try them both out
Since you listed metal and thrash first, and because you'd be upgrading the already more expensive jazz if you got it, I would say go with the Yamaha. I've tried it and liked it quite a bit. I really liked the humbuckers on it and the feel of the thumb rest was dead on for my hand placement. Like everyone has said, try them out yourself and get a feel for your preference. What kind of amp do you have? We can probably match you better if we know about your gear.

BTW why are you already planning on getting a new bridge on the jazz if you haven't even played it yet? It seems a little too soon to be thinking about alterations before purchase... Just my two cents.
yeah but if he wants a new bridge thats probably because many people have been having problems with the stock bridges already, ive even had issues with the american fender bridges. they are one of the worst bridges ever
Gear: 08 Fender MIA Jazz bass,
American Peavey Millenium Plus 4,
GK 1001RBII,
Mesa/Boogie RR215,
Schecter C-1 Classic.
Quote by Ampeg SVT
yeah but if he wants a new bridge thats probably because many people have been having problems with the stock bridges already, ive even had issues with the american fender bridges. they are one of the worst bridges ever

What he said.
Rhythm Harmony Melody
I have both of those basses and prefer the Fender J. It has a slimmer neck, nicer feel, and as you said, looks better. But the RBX374 is a great bass also for its price. Just a reminder about this bass is that it eats batteries. Literally drains them within a short time and then your bass sounds like poo. I'd go with the Fender.
Fender Jazz Bass
Squire Stratocaster
Yamaha RBX 170(Custom Paint)
Yamaha MagicStomp
Dunlop MXR Distortion +
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Peavey Basic 112
Quote by Chimpy101
Personally, I can't stand Fender J Basses - they're so ****ing ugly
I have the RBX374 and love it. I much prefer it to the feel of a J Bass, but it is up to you. Try them both out

Agreed.