so i have a quesiton about modes that should be pretty easy to answer...let's say i am playing in A minor(A aeolian in C major). the secod mode of A minor would be a C locrian(right?) but would it also be called a dorian minor or something similar to that?
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
And to add, the modes are always based off Ionian (the major scale), so you don't say "dorian minor", since dorian is in essence minor anyway. You always base it off Ionian.
i was just wondering if you could base modes off of the minor scale. thanks for the help..and i meant B locrian not C...don't know what i was thinking.
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
Quote by Dayn
And to add, the modes are always based off Ionian (the major scale), so you don't say "dorian minor", since dorian is in essence minor anyway. You always base it off Ionian.
That is incorrect. You can base modes off any scale. In fact, the fifth mode of harmonic minor is fairly common.

However, there is no reason to base modes on other modes. For instance, the second mode of F lydian is G Mixolydian, so you don't have a new scale you can use.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That is incorrect. You can base modes off any scale. In fact, the fifth mode of harmonic minor is fairly common.

However, there is no reason to base modes on other modes. For instance, the second mode of F lydian is G Mixolydian, so you don't have a new scale you can use.

That's true. I was talking about the church modes, though I didn't clarify it. I meant it in the vein that you name the modes from the other modes, like you said; as in not naming E phrygian "the dorian mode of D dorian" or "D dorian dorian".