Can anyone explain this to me please? I've been trying to learn some scales, but they keep saying that you should solo in the same key of the song. How do i find out what key its in? Could anyone enlighten me on this or post a link to a site about scales and keys? Thanks a lot.
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
take lessons and ask about scales in particular keys. bring in the song and ask what key its in
the game
most simple songs are easy to find what key they're in. just listen to what chord is always played at the beginning of a bar, or progression of bars, and such, or what chord it starts and ends with (most of the time, that's the case)

once you find the tonic note, you'll pretty much know the key, oh, and knowing some theory on chord groups and what chords are in what key are a sure way for help too..
I don't like my user name.
Do you know any sites that explain about chord groups? I really can't take lessons because there aren't any places i can learn music around here, so i need all the help i can get from you guys.
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Thanks man, i'll check it out.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
what chord does the song start/end on? usually thats the I chord... and thats what key its in. if its on paper, its easy to figure out... just count the number of #s or bs it has, and go by that. when youre playing in a minor key, for example Bb minor... a lot of the time you can just play Bb pentatonic over the whole song and youre good. then as you get better, try playing over the chord changes.. it would be a lot easier to explain if you gave an example of a chord progression.
^I'm not just talking about one song man, i'm talking about improvising solos for almost any songs there are.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Yea, ive been wondering the same thing. So its just the first chord in the progression most of the time?
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Anyone?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
if you give me an example maybe i can explain it to you... and you can transfer that idea to other songs. firstly you need to be able to figure out what key its in... usually pretty easy... but like i said, give me an example, itll help.
Ok, let's just take the song Seize The Day by A7X for example. Lets just say i wanted to make up my own solo to replace the solo on that song, how do i go about that?

Powertab: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/a/avenged_sevenfold/seize_the_day_ver3_power_tab.htm

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
its in the key of Dm (D minor), indicated by the B flat in the key signature.. also it starts on Dm... play D minor pentatonic over the whole thing. let me know how that works out.
Ok, it'll probably take me around a week, bt i think it should be ok. Thanks a lot man. Cheers.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Often you'll find songs where it's not that simple to figure out the key. In that case you might want to look for a chord where the song seems to resolve. For example take a look at this tab: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/lynyrd_skynyrd/sweet_home_alabama_tab.htm
Although the song starts on D major it's actually in the key of G major. I couldn't understand this myself for some time, but when you really look at it, it'll make sense.
If you're still not sure what key you're in just play over a scale in a given key and you'll hear if it sounds right.
Quote by mr. broken
Often you'll find songs where it's not that simple to figure out the key. In that case you might want to look for a chord where the song seems to resolve. For example take a look at this tab: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/l/lynyrd_skynyrd/sweet_home_alabama_tab.htm
Although the song starts on D major it's actually in the key of G major. I couldn't understand this myself for some time, but when you really look at it, it'll make sense.
If you're still not sure what key you're in just play over a scale in a given key and you'll hear if it sounds right.

it starts on the V (the 5).. very common indeed... so yes, broken is right... you need to be careful.

notice that throughout the song, everything resolves to G... thats a big hint right there. you could say "no, its in D, not G"... but when a song ends on the IV chord, it sounds somewhat incomplete... so your best bet is that its in G. if youre still not sure.. try playing D major pentatonic over the song [talking about Sweet Home Alabama].... youll get the idea.

oh... playing G minor pentatonic over that is.. an acquired taste... id recommend G major pentatonic (looks just like E minor pentatonic, but the root is G not E).. if youre not used to those colorful sounds, youll like it better.

also, you dont have to limit yourself to pentatonic scales... but its a great start... just keep the idea that there is more to play than just the pentatonic scale in the back of your mind... (for example, you can play G Ionian [ionian="major scale"] over the whole thing... or you could play D Mixolydian [D Mixolydian and G Ionian have the same notes, so essentially youre just playing G Ionian anyway.])
Last edited by Guitar_Poet at Feb 24, 2007,
take all of the chords in the song wwrite them aside, then, (if using major) name all the notes for in the major chord, then after u do that to all chords find all the nots and list them. To the left write major,minor,minor,major,dominant,minorflat5,minor, then guess a key (lets say a) then start the a on the first major, then write the rest of the scale along with the major/minor order. ull know if its the right key if the all the notes that are named in the scale are in the chords you put aside

example:

G A D

G A d
b c# f#
d e a Notes used:G B D A C# F#

now guessed in D
D major
e minor
F# minor
G major
A dominant
B minorflat5
C# minor
and since all of those notes were used in the chords

its in the key of d
^The chords in D major are Dmaj (DΔ - E- (E-7) - F#m (F#susb9) - Gmaj (GΔ#11) - Amaj (A7, Asus) - B- (B-7b13) - C#° (C#ø.

There is no such thing as Bminorflat5, the vi chord of D major is B- and the vii° chord is C#°, not C#-.
Quote by Johnljones7443
^The chords in D major are Dmaj (DΔ - E- (E-7) - F#m (F#susb9) - Gmaj (GΔ#11) - Amaj (A7, Asus) - B- (B-7b13) - C#° (C#ø.

There is no such thing as Bminorflat5, the vi chord of D major is B- and the vii° chord is C#°, not C#-.

yea, i dont understand where the flat 5 came from... its just b minor.. but there is such thing as a B minor flat 5 chord, though it is not in this key. i think what jones was doing with the parentheses was offering you alternative chords... id suggest you understand the basics first... then progress from there.

also, you have to remember songs can change keys... so all the notes you list might not fit into one particular scale.... you pretty much need to get a book or take a music theory class to really understand how it all works. it may not be the most exciting book/class in the world, but it will bring all this crazyness into focus. its like... i could explain to my 12 year old sister what a derivative is, but she wont really understand it till shes gone through all the other math courses.... so yea. take a class or get a book and start learning.. itll help you tremendously (and give you the liberty of NOT playing minor pentatonic!).
Quote by Guitar_Poet
yea, i dont understand where the flat 5 came from... its just b minor.. but there is such thing as a B minor flat 5 chord, though it is not in this key. i think what jones was doing with the parentheses was offering you alternative chords... id suggest you understand the basics first... then progress from there.

The other chords I posted were the most common extensions of the basic triads - and minorb5 does not not exist. Bmb5 would be B° (Bdim), extended it would be Bø (Bm7b5) from the key of C for example, which I think is what you mean by saying such a chord exists, it's stupid to call a diminished triad a minorb5 triad.
maybe if ppl learned to read music with actual notation on staffs you could look at the key signature?
oh yeah and im not sure about this but if u look at the song and find the last sharp,raise it a half step, iisnt that they key? not sure i heard that from somewhere lol
Quote by gibsonbrothers
oh yeah and im not sure about this but if u look at the song and find the last sharp,raise it a half step, iisnt that they key? not sure i heard that from somewhere lol

if you have a key signature with:

sharps- take the last sharp and raise it a step, thats your key
flats- the second to last flat is your key
Quote by astepabove
Hey. Guess what. I'm hittin' omgnowai. Yep. That's right. Seriously. Ask her. She'll say "Yes, astepabove is hittin' me".

yeah...he is. hehe
Quote by Johnljones7443
The other chords I posted were the most common extensions of the basic triads - and minorb5 does not not exist. Bmb5 would be B° (Bdim), extended it would be Bø (Bm7b5) from the key of C for example, which I think is what you mean by saying such a chord exists, it's stupid to call a diminished triad a minorb5 triad.

like i said, same thing. call it what you like (i too prefer diminished), but the chord exists.. thats all my point was.