I have a DigiTech RP200A Multi-Effects pedal, but I've recently started disliking it. The tone is very digital and fake-sounding, and if I create a tone, then I can't modify said tone while playing (ie, turn off the reverb or turn it back on again).

I'm now more interested in putting together a pedalboard made up of individual pedals and stompboxes. I have a Distortion + pedal from like the '70s (used to be my dad's) which produces a great, thick, real-sounding tone, and some kind of flanger pedal.

I'm looking for a pretty expansive array of effects (reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, wah-wah, tremolo, octaver, plus a pedalboard).

How much do you think midrange models of these effects would cost? Is this the way to go?
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Nothing from nowhere, I'm no one at all
Radiate, recognize one silent call
As we all form one dark flame...
Incinerate!
Probably around 750-1000 for used, decent gear. You can score deals here and there, but dont skimp on things if you want a good sound.
Analog > Digital
Analog Pedals > Multieffects (which are digital)

You don't have to buy all the pedals in one go. Build slowly, buying what you need at the time. Also, i'd recoment the Boss BCB 60 but i saw this real cheap, real big Behringer Pedalboard for like 15 PEDALS(The PB100 or PB1000, i forgot) but i don't know how it is. Anyone know?
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
Quote by Kunundrum
Analog > Digital

not true. Digital TV quality is far better than old analog radio waves.

Its the PB1000 heres a pic

looks great, if it has a built in power supply for the pedals it would be a really good buy.

PSN ID: ArranP
Last edited by apmaman at Feb 19, 2007,
I'm thinking about buying the wah, delay, and reverb first, then worrying about the chorus & phaser type stuff.

What do you recommend for a wah? What about delay and reverb? I'm pretty interested in creating "soundscapes" (I listen to a lot of post-metal and the like), so that's why I'm going for the more "sonic" stuff first, like reverb.
Member #7 of the "...Still Waiting for the Zombie Holocaust" club. PM Smokey Amp to join.

Incinerate!
Last edited by GarageGuitarist at Feb 19, 2007,
I think you'd be better off with a mix of analog and digital in this case, especially if you're looking to produce soundscapes. I really can't give you any recommendations because you have not provided what kind of sound you're looking for (music genre, some artist/song examples, etc) and what amp you're using.

Here's my basic list...

Wah - Dunlop 95Q or 535Q - can be tweaked to suit your needs.

Octave - Fulltone Ultimate Octave - I'd have to say it's the best there is unless you go vintage.

Reverb - Boss Digital Reverb/Delay RV-3 - one of the most underestimated units I've ever heard. You'll probably get some recommendations for the EH Holier Grail as well.

Delay - Boss DD-20 - If you're looking to do the soundscape thing, this pedal will probably be essential, although a DigiTech JamMan would be better for creating loops.

Chorus - TC Electronics Stereo Chorus + - An amazing box with a crisp chorus tone. I love this one, but others will probabaly recommend the EH Small Clone.

Phaser - MXR Phase 90 - no comment needed

Tremolo - Demeter Tremulator - expensive, but worth it. Don't buy the Boss TR-2, there's far too much noise generated by that thing.

I have to say in your case though, I'd have to recommend you look into the TC Electronics G-Major. This rack unit has a lot of potential and you can run it in the amps effects loop without a mile of cable. It can do reverb, delay, chorus, phase and tremolo as well as much more. EDIT - plus, the G-Major can be had for around $350...digital isn't bad if you pay for the best.
Quote by apmaman
not true. Digital TV quality is far better than old analog radio waves.

Its the PB1000 heres a pic

looks great, if it has a built in power supply for the pedals it would be a really good buy.

It doesn't actually come with those pedals you know. But you get a load of patch cables, etc and a 1.7A (Which is I think 1700mA) power supply. And the pedalboard itself holds up to 12 pedals.
Quote by AdamDK
It doesn't actually come with those pedals you know. But you get a load of patch cables, etc and a 1.7A (Which is I think 1700mA) power supply. And the pedalboard itself holds up to 12 pedals.

aye i know that would be great if they all came free though!

PSN ID: ArranP
in my opinion it depends because alot of good single pedals can cost alot unless you buy them one at a time whereas you can get all of them for like 400 euros or cheaper from something like line 6 or the bosss gt 8 but otherwise get boss pedals their the best. dunlops make good wahs but then it depends what you want for a wah sound but otherwise theres a boss wah a vox and a morley. for distortions boss have a large range. infact just go for boss if you have enough money.
(also single pedals can be best for concerts because of bypass and making you own sound on each pedal etc.)
otherwise just get a really good amp for really good tone and leave it at that .
if you like to have really good quality, that is simple enough, but comes with a lot of expense and some room on the floor...get the pedalboard setup.

If you like diversity of tone, and ability to switch immediately between tones and sounds without having to hit 5 different pedals...get the multi FX.

BIAS OPINION TIME:

I personally like the Boss GT-8, because it has a lot of different tones and it relatively easy to use , even though it takes a while to find out what everything does (yeah paradox).

Also, single pedals are good because then you can set exactly what you want for each pedal..and achieve the sound you desire.
I like my Boss DS-2 because i can get the metal sound i look for(with some work), and it sounds a hell of a lot better than my cheap piece of shit RP80.

I like the diversity of digital...but i like the sound of single pedals FTW

...try each type of effects setup at Guitar Center or something, and as mention by ExploreEpiphone, the amp is always in control of REAL tone and that's where you should start if you don't already have an excellent tone from your amp.
Someone was asking about what I listen to.

Isis. Tool. Mars Volta. Coheed and Cambria. Dream Theater. Etc.

Incinerate!
Quote by AdamDK

Only question is, how much is it?

Also, if you ARE gonna go digital.... BOSS GT-8 OR VOX TONELAB!
Quote by Kunundrum
Only question is, how much is it?

Also, if you ARE gonna go digital.... BOSS GT-8 OR VOX TONELAB!

I don't think that would be a good choice for the ts, although the GT-8 covers a very large range. He's already got an overdrive pedal that he likes, and trying to overdrive the front end of the GT-8 is a bad idea (digital distortion from the ADC clipping). A G-Major in the effects loop of a great amp would serve his needs better than the GT-8, which would require 3 long cable runs to and from the amp to route everything properly on stage.

I own the GT-8, and I'm running into issues running it through the effects loop of my Roadster...it just doesn't seem to be delivering enough signal to the GT-8 to get the effects to register properly. I'm still tweaking, so we'll see how it turns out.
really? sounds pretty good to me
The GT-8 is great, but it all depends on the amp and how it reacts with the unit. Mesa effects loops seem to have issues driving long cables, and the GT-8 needs to be fed with a signal that is high but just low enough to avoid clipping the input converter. The only way to do this is crank the send level from the amp, which ends up sending a signal that is too harsh. I'm still waiting to see if the TS will post what amp he has though.

The GT-8 does the soundscape stuff pretty well, especially when using an external delay on top of the 3 delays in the GT-8.
have you guys tried the vox tonelab?
Personally, I prefer to go with individual pedals. I like to experiment with various pedals and combinations to produce the sound I like. They can be expensive; however I borrowed some from my friends and purchased them only if I like the sound. In any case, my collection and investment grow over the years.