Poll: To smoke or not to smoke?
Poll Options
View poll results: To smoke or not to smoke?
No - Save your voice - you could be the next Australian Idol
21 40%
No - Save your lungs - avoid emphasima and keep your place on the soccer team
20 38%
Dude - Smoking makes you sound more like Nick Cave, and old age sucks anyway
7 13%
I feel the Surgeon General's report was inconclusive....
4 8%
Voters: 52.
I was a singer once. As a boy treble I used to sing live solos in our choir, actually won a radio talent quest once. Got myself into a performing arts high school, but decided to go somewhere more academic. Kept on singing through high school as a tenor with the vocal group. We performed with a full brass stage band behind us, which is quite an experience. Then I kind of got bored with it when I was about 17. My band didn't like my voice (or my guitar playing, I ended up a bass player for a while), and then that was kind of it for a while. Joined the choir briefly in college, never actually performed with them. So singing is kind of my lost opportunity, which is a shame because I had the advantage of very good training as a kid.

Anyway fast forward to me now, going to be 25 this year, and I nominally manage my brother's band (which is what got me playing guitar again, nothing like hanging out with musicians all day to get your creativity flowing). I've been listening to my bro practicing as a front man, and straining to hit the High B in Smells like Tean Spirit (not that Kurt ever hit that note particularly cleanly either) and I'm thinking "I should be able to hit that note.

So I end up singing with Miles this afternoon, and I'm feeling quite comfortable with where my range is with a cold, but he's like "You can so tell your a smoker". Hmmm, is this a good enough reason to give up smoking altogether? I don't smoke all the time, if there's no cigarettes I don't get major cravings any more, but if I buy a pack I smoke it in two days. I used to smoke every day, not any more.

It's nearly 3AM, I can't sleep and I was thinking that this is a Malboro moment, so everyone vote for whether I should walk to the Gas station and get a packet of Reds.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
Last edited by Cosimo_Zaretti at Feb 19, 2007,
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
I was a singer once. As a boy treble I used to sing live solos in our choir, actually won a radio talent quest once. Got myself into a performing arts high school, but decided to go somewhere more academic. Kept on singing through high school as a tenor with the vocal group. We performed with a full brass stage band behind us, which is quite an experience. Then I kind of got bored with it when I was about 17. My band didn't like my voice (or my guitar playing, I ended up a bass player for a while), and then that was kind of it for a while. Joined the choir briefly in college, never actually performed with them. So singing is kind of my lost opportunity, which is a shame because I was actually very well trained as a kid.

Anyway fast forward to me now, going to be 25 this year, and I nominally manage my brother's band (which is what got me playing guitar again, nothing like hanging out with musicians all day to get your creativity flowing). I've been listening to my bro practicing as a front man, and straining to hit the High B in Smells like Tean Spirit (not that Kurt ever hit that note particularly cleanly either) and I'm thinking "I should be able to hit that note.

So I end up singing with Miles this afternoon, and I'm feeling quite comfortable with where my range is with a cold, but he's like "You can so tell your a smoker". Hmmm, is this a good enough reason to give up smoking altogether? I don't smoke all the time, if there's no cigarettes I don't get major cravings any more, but if I buy a pack I smoke it in two days. I used to smoke every day, not any more.

It's nearly 3AM, I can't sleep and I was thinking that this is a Malboro moment, so everyone vote for whether I should walk to the Gas station and get a packet of Reds.

I vote no if you like singing
Yeah, sure. I always do that. Works out just fine. Don't worry man. Marlboro heals the nation. Most of the time.
Remember, smoking and drinking whiskey adds to the character of your voice.
Well if I have to do anything at 3am I know its time to stop.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I feel the Surgeon General's report was inconclusive....
Beauty Supreme

Yeah you were right about me
Your 25, asking people way younger than you, if you should make a life decision or not? w/e though, smoking is for the weak willed.
You're a lot older than most of the users of this site, dude. You should be able to make a decision yourself. However, if it is affecting your voice in a negative way, and you want to continue singing, stop and hope your voice heals itself over time. However if it just makes it sound different, and not bad as such, do whatever you want.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
so many singers smoke now to give their vocals more "character" but with a lot of people it that plan would probably backfire
Opeth - Tool - Ephel Duath - Cynic
Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti

So I end up singing with Miles this afternoon, and I'm feeling quite comfortable with where my range is with a cold, but he's like "You can so tell your a smoker". Hmmm, is this a good enough reason to give up smoking altogether?

If not, maybe the cancer or waste of money is.
I smoke, and my voice ain't all that bad.

I guess if you're worried about the effect of it on your voice, you ought to stop though. Only way to see if it makes a difference.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I was always vote yes for music and no for smoking. My grandpa is dying of it right now. He has Heart and Lung disease. It takes him 3 hours to get dressed in the morning. That is how bad it is.
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
Quote by $Guitarist$
I was always vote yes for music and no for smoking. My grandpa is dying of it right now. He has Heart and Lung disease. It takes him 3 hours to get dressed in the morning. That is how bad it is.

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I watched my mum die of cancer, and it wasn't pretty. Take care of yourself and your family at what must be a difficult time for you.

I didn't take very good care of myself for a while after mum died, which is how I came to be a smoker in the first place. Weird huh? You watch someone you love get torn apart from the inside by this terrible disease, then take up smoking.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. I watched my mum die of cancer, and it wasn't pretty. Take care of yourself and your family at what must be a difficult time for you.

I didn't take very good care of myself for a while after mum died, which is how I came to be a smoker in the first place. Weird huh? You watch someone you love get torn apart from the inside by this terrible disease, then take up smoking.

Thanks. Im sorry to hear about your mom. So smoking was just a relief for you after your mom died?
Well look at it this way - by the time smoking -really- ruins your voice, you will probably be too old to perform anyways.
High as tits
Meh my grandpa died from smoking but not till he was 73 i think, my sister used to smoke and so did my mom and they are both fine. I smoked for 3 years the only things thats stopping me now is my gf, and even still i manage to sneak a smoke every now and then. The point of this is if you want to smoke go ahead, if you smoke 1-2 packs a day for 20 years thats when your voice will start goin down hill but other then that its fine

EDIT:god damn you now i really want a smoke
Quote by Burtonjp
Thats right.. I'm drooling over your body... *walks off and registers as a gay sex offender *

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.
Quote by $Guitarist$
Thanks. Im sorry to hear about your mom. So smoking was just a relief for you after your mom died?

Not a relief so much, it was more that taking care of myself didn't seem as important any more.
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Quote by Cosimo_Zaretti
Not a relief so much, it was more that taking care of myself didn't seem as important any more.

Ohh. I see.
Quote by kromatik
I hate to break it to you, but MILLIONS of non-smokers die every day...

Bill Hicks?