Poll: What guitar should I build?
Poll Options
View poll results: What guitar should I build?
Stick with the LPS
1 4%
Jem
8 33%
Strat
4 17%
Tele
8 33%
Other (please state)
3 13%
Voters: 24.
So after a long night of thinking. I'm thinking would it be worth building this guitar? As I already have a Epi LP. Maybe I need to make something practical? Something lighter something with a different sound. So I'm thinking about something like a Jem ,strat or tele.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
I'd vote for something different - a Strat type build would be a nice alternate guitar to have to the LP. You'll have a different palette to work with and you can build it to be relatively light as well.

Regards,

Rob
Build an Steve Vai Jem, then sell it to a music store. Then with that money, buy a new/ better guitar.

lol.
Quote by guitarjunky89
Build an Steve Vai Jem, then sell it to a music store. Then with that money, buy a new/ better guitar.

lol.

That defeats the point. I'm building it as an alternative guitar for a different sound to my LP.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Now, If I want to make a template for a jem. Could I just draw the basic shape around a strat? And then sharpen the horns? Is there anything else that needs changing?

Also, would you think that a strat, rear routed, and possibly a carved top would look better than a jem?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Hmm, I think I might decide on the Jem but i'm not sure. Would a jem look good with Maple flamed bookmatched top?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

you should do a prs style guitar with s/s/h pickup layout, that would own
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by skater dan0
you should do a prs style guitar with s/s/h pickup layout, that would own

Well, Its going to be a strat template but will have elements of a PRS because I actaully am a fan. Possibly strat with carved top?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

That esquire is pine, cool. I'd build an Olympic white strat, only left handed configuration so you can be like Jimi.

JIMAH!
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Just a little question. Does anybody have any tips,tutorials or advice for when carving a top? Is all I really need to carve the top is spokeshave?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

The schecter C-1 is a good example of a carved top rear routed strat shape guitar. They are beautiful
Quote by Ronsonic
You can carve a top with a 80 - 150 grit sanding disk in an angle grinder or drill. That's how Hamer did it anyway.

But I say, build a tele first. Everybody needs one.

Sounds a little scary :P What if you make a mistake, its not like if you make a small mistake with hand tools because they can usually be covered up .

Apart from mahogany what wood works well and looks good with a Flamed bookmatched maple top?

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Last edited by Lordoflax at Feb 19, 2007,
I'm thinking about putting an FR into this guitar but am unsure about the positioning. Yes i understand about measuring from the nut to 12th fret and then use that measurement to find out where the e string goes. However, Where does the actual unit go? Do I need the neck to make this judgement?

If you need to know, the scale length 25 1/2".

Also what switch would you recommend for HSH wiring? Would a standard 3 way work well?

Thanks

Danny.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Last edited by Lordoflax at Feb 19, 2007,
The fret calcultor on stewmac gives you the distances to mounting screws/studs. Use that.

For the switch I would use a 5 way.
Go with the Tele.

If you don't like the typical sound of a Tele, do a HS or HH build. I wouldn't mind having a Tele with a humbucker in the bridge position and the typical rhythm pick-up at the neck. You could even go with a semi-hollow body for a whole new sound.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Carved top Tele! Rear routed. Double HB. Make a metal Tele.

Or if you're certain about the strat shape kinda. Maybe do a neck through kinda ESP MH-ish. With a carved top. And like H-S-H with coil taps. 5 way.. Floyd would go nicely on that. And invent some crazy reversed headstock.

Then give it to me...

Quote by Lordoflax
Now, If I want to make a template for a jem. Could I just draw the basic shape around a strat? And then sharpen the horns? Is there anything else that needs changing?

Also, would you think that a strat, rear routed, and possibly a carved top would look better than a jem?

You'll probably find a CAD drawing of a Jem by googling. I've seen more than a few builds around them. CAD drawings will be in either DWG or DXF format. You'll need an application to open them.

An alternate approach is to find a good head on image of a jem and scale it up to the appropriate size. A good point of reference is the scale length. On a 25.5" scale neck, the distance from the nut to the 12th fret is 12.75". BTW - here is a handy fret position calculator from Stew Mac - http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator

Regards,

Rob
I voted Jem but howabout a mix of a JEM tele and strat?

Shape like a JEM with pickups HSS but the neck single having a tele neck p-up instead.
And the rest like a JEM it'd sound great and look great!
Quote by Punk_Ninja
I voted Jem but howabout a mix of a JEM tele and strat?

Shape like a JEM with pickups HSS but the neck single having a tele neck p-up instead.
And the rest like a JEM it'd sound great and look great!

The JEM is a strat with sharpier horns, humbuckers and a thinner neck.

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Well, thanks for all your input guys. But i'm pretty decided on what i'm going to do now. Sorry for you guys who I decided against.

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Quote by UniverseZero
The JEM is a strat with sharpier horns, humbuckers and a thinner neck.

=/ sorta. . .its an RG which originated from superstrats which are hotrodded strats, but i wasnt on about shape i was on about looks, like handle, gold hardware, inlay.