Page 1 of 6
seeing as how theres the threads about the guys at music stores who piss you off with their ignorance, lets have one about the times when you yourself have been an ignorant or foolish little guitarist. and you know you have. ill go first.

i was hanging out at the local Sam Ash yesterday with my friend and i was playing a bit on this nice fender tele i had pulled off the wall, when a store associate walking by stops and goes "thats really out of tune. do you want me to tune it for you?" i said yes please and he tuned it for me and then played a little blues kind of riff. the thing was i was hadnt even noticed it was out of tune at all. and i was using an amp so i could definitly hear the guitar. i was so ashamed.

so who has embarrasing stories to share?
I was playing this awesome 120 crate amp at a Guitar Center. At first i was fooling around on a a distortion channel. Then I switched it to the clean channel, and somehow, the amp turned itself all the way up. I think just about everyone turned their head. I was so embarrassed.
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
when i first started guitar i went to guitar center and i put the amp kinda high and i started playing stupid songs like old mcdonald and stuff. it was funny and embarrassing.
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
Urm....I havnt done anything too embarassing...only n00b mistakes, like when I first went to get plectrums, and didnt know what they where called, and called them picky-thingys (half right)

Urm....thas about all I can think of TBH
When I was testing out a wall of around 10 Seagull S6's I kept bumping them into each other and a couple of times I banged them on the wall by mistake.. Luckily no on really noticed or saw but it would of been embarrasing if they had.
Gear: Yamaha AES 620 Equipped with SD JB+APH-1
Fender American Deluxe V-Neck Equipped with BKP Mothers Milk
Fender Pro Jr., Traynor YCV 50, Diamond J-Drive MK3, Fulltone 70's Fuzz, Teese RMC Wizard Wah, Boss dd-3, Boss CE-5, Korg DT-10 pedal tuner.
I was playing a (semi hollow) Rick 360/12 at a music store once. All went well...I was just getting up to put it back, when I tripped over a Crate Taxi amp which I had not noticed was positioned right at my feet...

A taxi amp has this wedge shape which is absolutely perfect from tripping over...

The second I was falling for felt like eternity. I was already thinking of the consequences. I thought the guitar would shatter into a million pieces...

But luckily it didn't. I quickly got up and inspected it, but it was in perfect condition. There was a dent on the front headstock, but I dunno how that happened, cos the guitar fell on its back.

I spent ages apologising. THat was more than embarassing. I didn't have to pay for the axe, though.
i was just learning guitar, so i was nervous and i had the amp down low. this guy sits next to me and turns his amp up really loud. i switched to a big amp (don't remember what kind) and i turned it up all the way and played a green day song.
i had been playing like a year, and i was 10.

i had never played with any effects.

so i naturally see a bunch of effects (distortion, overdrive, grunge, bad monkey, phaser, chorus, reverb, delay, more distortian etc)

and i turned just about every single one on.

the amp screamed so damn loud and i wasnt even playing........

Member #10 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance

I asked if they had a Kaoss pad, and they took it out of the box and let me screw around with it with my mate for about half an hour and when it came time to pay my mate left his card at home

So we got banned from the shop for time wasting etc
I asked to get my strings "restringed" once. Bad grammar. The guy corrected me and that was embarrassing.
I think the only time that may have come even close to embarassing is when I needed to buy new strings for my fathers guitar because I had accidently broken one, but hadn't thought to ask which gauge they were, and so couldn't answer when the store owner asked me. I know, humiliating.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Quote by $Guitarist$
I was playing this awesome 120 crate amp at a Guitar Center. At first i was fooling around on a a distortion channel. Then I switched it to the clean channel, and somehow, the amp turned itself all the way up. I think just about everyone turned their head. I was so embarrassed.

You shouldn't have been embarrassed. Just keep playing that shit until you got kicked out.
What is property?...Property is theft!

Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
when playing a guitar with a cold in a shop, i accidently dropped a boger on the fret board, only my friend saw though and just laughed.
I was playing w/ the Jackson Rhoads V that the nearest Guitar Center in my area had. It was hooked to a lot of Digitech effects, like Bad Monkey and Hot Rod, and I was playing w/ the Synth Wah, cause I wanted to hear how Jim Root of Slipknot and Stone Sour gets that effect to sound so awesome. And it was awesome, so I de-tuned it to Slipknot tuning (B,F#,B,E,G#,C#), and started shredding, and broke the two high strings at once. I felt like an ass, so I payed for them voluntarily.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Quote by Is a communist
You shouldn't have been embarrassed. Just keep playing that shit until you got kicked out.

Thats the thing. My friend said like everyone who passed by me turned their heads in Aw. I wouldn't know because i was so focused on playing.
Green Tinted Sixties Mind
Quote by joeman2120
i had been playing like a year, and i was 10.

i had never played with any effects.

so i naturally see a bunch of effects (distortion, overdrive, grunge, bad monkey, phaser, chorus, reverb, delay, more distortian etc)

and i turned just about every single one on.

the amp screamed so damn loud and i wasnt even playing........

That's ****ing quality.
When I asked him where a certain Ibanez model was, and pronounced it wrong. that's it for me.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
When i bought my bass, the shop assistant asked me if i'd prefer a half-size one "for small children or people with small hands". I was 16, and 5ft 5. I wasn't so much embarrassed as just wanting to smash his face in.
I'd say for me, being a terribly shy person, is just going in and not doing anything. Wandering around and staring and drooling because A) you don't have money to buy anything you want and B) you aren't halfway decent enough to play something so anyone, not even you, can hear it.

Although once, this huge disgusting blob of a kid comes in, long unkempt hair, the usual "zomg im deth metalz!" look to him. He starts to play this really obnoxiously loud metal thing, that sounds absolutely terrible, and as I'm turning to my friend and say "Jesus, that douchebag needs to shut the **** up"...he stops playing. Nobody, however, disagreed with me.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
You motorboatin son of a bitch.

Quote by ibaRGnez321
I love you LilVikingBoy.

Member of the Church of Gilmour

Dance, Kirby, dance!
(>")> <("< <( " )> (>"< <("^) (^")> <("v) (v")> (v"v) (^"v) (v"^) (^"^)
Me and my mate (he plays guitar) went into a local music store. I then had the great idea that we should play "Smells like teen spirit"...

Member of The Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jimmypage27 or me to join.
Founding Member of "Using gay as an insult proclaims your idiocy" club.
Member #11 of the UG RIP Cliff Burton Club
Last edited by jesusgonewrong at Feb 19, 2007,
Quote by jesusgonewrong
Me and my mate (he plas guitar) went into a local music store. I then had the great idea that we should play "Smells like teen spirit"...

Yeah...What's the big deal over that?
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
The other day before I purchased my new guitar, I broke one of the strings, but luckily nobody saw. Not really embarrassing, I just didn't want to have to buy a new pack of strings for it.
High as tits
one time i was in the acoustic section of a music store and i asked where the acoustic basses were.

but i was standing right next to them.

not my fault dammit, there were like 3 in total!
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

lol
Quote by shattamakar
The only advantage of home-schooling is that it gives you good reason to commit suicide.

Hit this once or twice, and you'll be twice as nice.
Quote by Gibson_SG_uzr55

It's like playing the intro to stairway over and over again in a crowded stre. People will stare at you and throw things at u.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
Quote by PieceOfMind666
It's like playing the intro to stairway over and over again in a crowded stre. People will stare at you and throw things at u.

did anyone throw things at you?
My Music
Quote by x_themetalfan_x
For a second I thought the title said "I swallowed my dick".

my gear:
fender stratocaster american deluxe SSS(s1)
G-DEC 30W amp
custom carrying case
jasmine by takamine acoustic
silvertone acoustic

AMAZING GUITAR SOLO!!!
I was in a local guitar store about a month ago and was trying to play this one bit from cliffs of Dover but I couldn't do it right so I just sat there messing it up for five minutes.
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
Quote by walkinbazooka
lol

What are you laughin at, bub. j/k lol

I like Nirvana, so I see no problem w/ it.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
I went to grab a Harshell case out of the about 25 leaning against the wall next to each other.

...****ing domino effect.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
hahahaha
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

Quote by TunerAddict

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
Yeah, I played "Smells like Teen Spirit" once...but I had an excuse cos I was trying a Jagstang!

I always feel like a n00b in a guitar store. I'm shy and I mess up when playing in public, plus when playing an unfamiliar guitar. (I said exactly the same thing in another thread yesterday. )
Another fun story: I'd bought my first Active bass a few weeks ago and suddenly it stops working. I'm very puzzled by this and presume it's the amp (I didn't check with my other bass to start). When I got round to it, I checked and it wasn't the amp, but the bass itself!

I was shitting myself at that stage as I feared by 200 quid was spent in vain, so I pop down the ol' music store and explain what happened, commenting on how I was pretty sure it was the pickups.

Turned out the battery needed changing...
Quote by ihaterap101
did anyone throw things at you?

No because I didn't play it. I saw that shit go down though. Some little guy was playing the intro to stairway over and over. Didn't know anything past the very beginning. You know. the:
-----------5-----7 --------
--------5-----------5--------
-----5------------------5---
--7--------------6----------

So he played that over and over again. Some guy threw his Les Paul Standard at him. Yep...

NOTE: In case you still didn't catch the sarcasm in either reply, I was joking about the throwing. People just get pissed.
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
Quote by evan1234567
Last edited by PieceOfMind666 at Feb 19, 2007,
NOTE: In case you still didn't catch the sarcasm in either reply, I was joking about the throwing. People just get pissed.

True dat. Luckily the guy at the counter came up to me and politely told me to stop it.
lol this was actually about a month ago, so it wasnt really a noob mistake lol but i was at music go round and i was trying to sell some old gear that i never used and i thought they were ripping me off so im like, wow, you guys are all gay....so then i walked out of the store and asked my brother to take me to guitar center....but he called and they wre closed....so guess where i went? back to music go round....and i sold them the gear and the guy there just kinda stared at me like i was gonna shoot him or somthing lol it was pretty cool....
UG's HIPPIE
lol i just htought of another one.... but it wasnt at a guitar store...ok i play in my schools pep band sometimes (with my guitar, not gay band instruments lol) and i had my 120 watt amp all ready and everything... and then i was gonna put the output on my amp into this other amp that belongs to the school so i could use both of them only i didnt realize that someone had been messing with the school's amp and with cranked up all the way (and turned on...) and as soon as i plugged it in both the amps started freaking out and EVERYONE in the gym just turned at stared at me.....then my music teacher came up and flipped out on me it was hilarious! and embaressing...
UG's HIPPIE
I went into to buy a bass there nad then and the twats behind the counter just looked at me and as this was my first bass i had no idea what iwas doing then i asked the guy for help and he just pointed and says thats a good one so i left .
Quote by questionmarc
I went into to buy a bass there nad then and the twats behind the counter just looked at me and as this was my first bass i had no idea what iwas doing then i asked the guy for help and he just pointed and says thats a good one so i left .

And then he turned back to his computer and made a thread in the pit about how he owned a bass n00b